Taking our babies out and about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking our babies out and about

So I'm considering retiring my RR5FR. It's still PERFECT in every way, but it's also my #1. I just really don't want to beat it up. Yet, I then think, it's an RR5FR, not an RR1, THIS is the touring axe! Alas, she's my love. I'm considering either a lesser X series to take out, or trying to find an RR1 that will possibly find itself to #1 status. By the way, #2 is an RR3 that comes out with me as a backup. I'd prefer a neck through for the stage, purely for feel.

Any input from the fellow rockstars?
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Don't retire it! You should honor her well by playing her.

Comment

after breaking two 87' ST-3 necks one of them twice, slightly cracking a jackson neck, cracking a custom super strat and finally a USA bich NT (this one also twice, broke, repaired & then snapped in half), I have very few guitars that i will gig with. The others are fine to leave the house, go to a band practice or jam, but they will not be gigged with at bars, or clubs. just too many drunks and idiots who dont have any respect for epuipment or just dont pay attention to their surroundings. too many oops possibilities.

Comment

Luckily, most of the venues I play at have substantially raised stages, thus eliminating the drunk factor (except for drunk bandmates of course). I'm mostly worried about smacking amps and shit while running around, and of course dripping sweat all in the pickups.
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

If it's within your means, keep gigging the RR5 and buy an RR1 for home/studio use. RR5's are great but the ebony on the RR1 takes the tone (and I think playability as well) to another level.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thats good then, ide say almost half of those broken guitars happened backstage while other bands were loading/unloading their equipment. & these were all shitty little dive bar clubs, nothing w real stages...Ide hardly even call them a venue.

Comment

Axegrinder- Guess I'm lined up for disaster. I gig all my high end axes: Charvel CS Star, an uber-rare Les Paul Axcess, an RR1 Bengal and pair of Hamer Cali's, a Limited Edition and an Elite that I had customized by Mike Learn. To be sure, if the venue has a REAL bad rep for violence or shady mofo's, I'll sub in something like the modded RR EX or an LTD Star. Luckily, in 20 years of gigging, I've only dinged one guitar badly.

Comment

I hardly play my pride and joy. I'm OCD about the stupid things, not about cleanliness or anything of the sort, but when I bought my mint 1988 Charvel Model 4 with an astonishing Firecrackle finish, it was mint. Now there's wear on the tremolo and pickups, (doesn't bother me), but some big dents that absolutely infuriate me when I look at them. I put it in a flight case and hardly play it. As stupid as it sounds, it's the only way I stay "sane".

Comment

I'm a guitar player 1st, guitar owner 2nd. You play your 1st string lineup on game day.

Comment

well here is my take on it. I think you have to judge each gig on its own. IF its a rough bar like the one in AIRPLANE! where even girl scouts get into knife fights, I would suggest keeping your valuable or favorite axes at home. chances are, at gigs like that not many people are listening to you anyway as their are more interested in fighting, fucking, pissing or puking in the parking lot. the sounds is usually shit at those type of bars, so your tone aint gonna matter. if its a relatively safe gig where no drunken idiots, then sure take em and be careful. guitars are meant to be played, not retired. retirement is for guys in their 60's named "Skip" and strippers. you just need to choose the right gigs to take it to.
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I don't gig so for what it's worth, I say play it til it dies. That said I hear of so many gear thefts here in Austin.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                        I don't gig so for what it's worth, I say play it til it dies. That said I hear of so many gear thefts here in Austin.
                        Brings up some thoughts on security. Having a system in place where the gear is never left unattended is key. If you band is big enough to have roadies, damn sure make certain you trust them. If not, having a relative or close friend of the band to sit on the gear when not being played is another way.
                        Our bassist's brother is a cop and is almost always at our shows helping to carry gear and break down. When the gear is not being used, he's watching it for us. Needless to say, his beer is ALWAYS bought by someone in the band. That and he gets more f---in' tail after our shows than all of us in the band. But then we're all married... he's not.
                        Last edited by vector; 03-29-2012, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                          So I'm considering retiring my RR5FR. It's still PERFECT in every way, but it's also my #1. I just really don't want to beat it up. Yet, I then think, it's an RR5FR, not an RR1, THIS is the touring axe! Alas, she's my love. I'm considering either a lesser X series to take out, or trying to find an RR1 that will possibly find itself to #1 status. By the way, #2 is an RR3 that comes out with me as a backup. I'd prefer a neck through for the stage, purely for feel.

Any input from the fellow rockstars?
                          I feel ya! It's tough to have a pristine guitar and know that it could get damaged by peoples stupidity. My vote would be to only use it for special shows. Ones where you KNOW that it won't get damaged and are pretty sure security won't be an issue. I cry when my perfect guitars get their first scratch or chip. Honestly, tears and all. If it helps, think of it as your collector piece and let the others get damaged. You could always pick you up a used one that is already a little beaten up cause you should only worry about your playing when gigging.
                          Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
                          2007 Jackson DK2M
                          1983 Kramer Pacer Special
                          2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
                          2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Guitars are meant to have the shit beaten out of them. Play it, tour it, bash it against a stage divers head, insert it in muff, whatever it takes to show it whos boss...........

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2 View Post
                              Guitars are meant to have the shit beaten out of them. Play it, tour it, bash it against a stage divers head, insert it in muff, whatever it takes to show it whos boss...........
                              that what i used to do untill i snapped my first nice guitar a BCRich neckthru bich in half, granted i had already cracked and repaired the headstock, but not into 2 seperate pieces.

This was my main gigging guitar for MANY years, bought new by me and played to shit, still plays / sounds great. looks cool if your into the whole relic thing, tho this wasnt relic'd it was played to shit within an inch of its life.

Comment

Working...
                              X