USED stamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USED stamp

I recently picked up a Jackson Kelly and it is the second Jackson guitar I've owned with the word USED stamped into the back of the head stock. Anybody run into this? I can't imagine a store doing it and I've never seen it on any other brand that I've dealt with.
    Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
    2007 Jackson DK2M
    1983 Kramer Pacer Special
    2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
    2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Hey newbie. My first Jackson was like that (bought from ebay). From what I can gather, Jackson had a huge pile up of inventory around 2005. They were forced to sell it off cheaply to get rid of it, but they didn't want any of it to come back for warranty work. So, this bulk of close out inventory was sold without serial numbers and stamped "USED" on the neck in case someone swapped neck plates for one with a serial number.

Comment

That makes sense because I just have a blank chrome neck plate. I just figured it was a sticker that got peeled off at some point. Since mine is a 2003 I can imagine they had a pile up! Did they do it to the import and US models or just imports. I'm pretty sure my KE3 was made in Japan. With no neck plate I can't tell.

Currently Shredding:
      2007 Jackson DK2M
      2013 Kramer 5150 Kit

Comment

With Chushin Gakki down for the count I bet they wish they didn't blow that stuff out. Now they could sell it as "Limited quantities - Final Japanese Jacksons" and ask a premium for it.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          With Chushin Gakki down for the count I bet they wish they didn't blow that stuff out. Now they could sell it as "Limited quantities - Final Japanese Jacksons" and ask a premium for it.
          I'll remember that for Craigslist if I ever sell it.

Currently Shredding:
          2007 Jackson DK2M
          2013 Kramer 5150 Kit

Comment

Originally posted by cullenszoo View Post
            I'm pretty sure my KE3 was made in Japan. With no neck plate I can't tell.
            Well, start an "ID my guitar" thread! Post many good sharp pics - I like to see at least one with the whole guitar in the shot (GTWGITS)
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Well, start an "ID my guitar" thread! Post many good sharp pics - I like to see at least one with the whole guitar in the shot (GTWGITS)
              I may just do that. need to get some better ones that I have.
              This is the best I have. I also assume US and Japan made came with a form fitting case CJ logo on it.

Currently Shredding:
              2007 Jackson DK2M
              2013 Kramer 5150 Kit

Comment

Originally posted by cullenszoo View Post
                I may just do that. need to get some better ones that I have.
                This is the best I have. I also assume US and Japan made came with a form fitting case CJ logo on it.
                Japanese didn't come with a case. You could get one, but the case wasn't standard
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah, that pic sucks
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

This might help...........
                    http://reviews.ebay.com/Guitar-Won-i...00000010711745

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2 View Post
                      Great info. And, being in TN myself, I could see why I keep running into this. Thanks

Currently Shredding:
                      2007 Jackson DK2M
                      2013 Kramer 5150 Kit

Comment

I sent off and email to MIRC and requested info about Jackson's with the stamp on it as well as info about my guitar. Hopefully they will get back to me and I'll share what I learn.

Currently Shredding:
                        2007 Jackson DK2M
                        2013 Kramer 5150 Kit

Comment

"Used" is the universal stamp in the guitar world for "factory 2nd", blown out through discount online retailers with no warranty. Sometimes it's something as small as a finish flaw, sometimes it's a completely screwed up guitar.

Comment

UPDATE!! Friday afternoon I got a call from Monty Richards, President of MIRC. He wanted to respond to my questions about a Jackson sell off and was more than happy to talk about the guitar business in general. In reference to Jackson he explained prior to Fender buying it, Jackson was in financial trouble and filed bankruptcy. He wasn't sure the exact reasons but a large number of Jackson guitars were clearance priced and sold with no warranty. In the case of my Kelly, the serial would have been on the neck plate which MIRC replaced with a plain chrome one. Most of the Jackson's were first run with no flaws, but if any were found they would be corrected before selling to a dealer. The dealers in turn were not allowed to sell them as New stock, only used. The stamp is one method MIRC uses to insulate the manufacturer from warranty claims. Destroying the serial number is the other. He also explained with that kind of a sell off MIRC would shelve a lot of the guitars to keep the market from being flooded.
                            On a personal note Mr. Richards was great to talk with. He shares a passion for guitars and eagerly shared his expertise about the guitar manufacturing industry. One great thing he commented on was how quality improves from the bottom even in the same company. Fender was an example. He said the folks in Asia and Mexico are trying to make the best guitar they can which in turn forces the US makers to push that much harder to be better. In turn the Custom Shop guys have to be even better still. MIRC deals with shops around the country and most brands of guitars. I encourage you to check out their site and if your a dealer (ebay and craigslist included) you might want to buy some inventory from them. www.mircweb.com/
                            Last edited by cullenszoo; 04-01-2012, 08:35 AM.

Currently Shredding:
                            2007 Jackson DK2M
                            2013 Kramer 5150 Kit

Comment

Who is MIRC? Jackson was owned by AMIC (Akai Musical Instrument Corp.) before Fender.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X