extra $ = extra ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extra $ = extra ??

25 yrs ago I had a RR custom that I loved. Priorities changed, got busy, stopped playing and sold it. Wanted to start playing again and recently got a DX10D. I bought this guitar knowing that it was a cheaper guitar and you usually get what you pay for. Not complaining about the DX. I think it plays pretty nice.
    There are so many diff models. When it comes time to upgrade, what is the difference between them. Electronics aside, when do you start getting better build quality, better neck etc? Besides the neck thru the body what are the differences in a neck on a $200 guitar vs a $2000 guitar.
    Unfortunately I don't have the $'s for a US Jackson so was possibly thinking about the new X series neck thru the body or a Pro Series Soloist.

thanks

The X series actually have nice necks, you just get basswood and IIRC chinese Floyds. Really on a Jackson, you get the nice ass neck without spending much. You just gotta shell out USA prices for the quartersawn neck/better electronics/german floyds /mother of pearl. That being said, USA necks are obviously the best, but alot of the MIJ Jacksons come close

Comment

theres also a difference with the X series rhoads and the usa ones. the neck in the x series is farther into the body than the USA is.
      Guitars:
      Jackson Kevin Bond RR Green
      Jackson Kevin Bond RR Red
      Grover Jackson Dan Spitz RR
      Epi Thunderhorse Explorer

Amps:
      Modded Jet City 100HDM
      custom 4x12

"Moran!"-augistin01(maker of B.C. Rich Deathangels and Defiler of one poor RR1)

Comment

Originally posted by hunterkolb View Post
        theres also a difference with the X series rhoads and the usa ones. the neck in the x series is farther into the body than the USA is.
        i think ALL import rhoads have that iirc. the rr1/custom joints look different

Comment

I'd say keep your eye out for a good used Japan model. They are built really well and there should be a lot more out there that are higher quality.
          Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
          2007 Jackson DK2M
          1983 Kramer Pacer Special
          2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
          2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

the only qualm i have with mij jacksons is that used USAs can be had for just a couple hundred more usually. i'm talkin about rr5 and rr24 specifically

Comment

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
              the only qualm i have with mij jacksons is that used USAs can be had for just a couple hundred more usually. i'm talkin about rr5 and rr24 specifically
              I agree, once you pic up a MIJ and replace some hardware you could just pick up a MIA. I have seen some MIJs on my local craigslist for as low as $150. even after modding it's much lower than a MIA.

Currently Shredding:
              2007 Jackson DK2M
              2013 Kramer 5150 Kit

Comment

Originally posted by cullenszoo View Post
                I agree, once you pic up a MIJ and replace some hardware you could just pick up a MIA. I have seen some MIJs on my local craigslist for as low as $150. even after modding it's much lower than a MIA.
                God damn. $150 is a steal for even a made in Korea guit. RR24 though, $1000 used unless you get that ugly ass gold. I can get an RR1 for $1500 used. That includes a GERMAN OFR, real mother of pearl, passives (because fuck actives), and CTS/Switchcraft electronics. Plus, it's made in USA

Comment

God damn. $150 is a steal for even a made in Korea guit. RR24 though, $1000 used unless you get that ugly ass gold. I can get an RR1 for $1500 used. That includes a GERMAN OFR, real mother of pearl, passives (because fuck actives), and CTS/Switchcraft electronics. Plus, it's made in USA
                  I don't think Jacksons are that huge in my market. I traded a MIM strat for a fairly mint MIJ kelly ke3 with OHSC. a soloist passed through a couple of weeks ago for $200. I passed cause it didn't have the floyd.

Currently Shredding:
                  2007 Jackson DK2M
                  2013 Kramer 5150 Kit

Comment

Yes MIJs like the SLSMG (or w.e it's called) and the RR3/KE3, but neck thrus with floyds (not jt580lp) are pretty pricey

Comment

RR24 though, $1000 used
                      Good to know. I should have bought more than 1 during that $500 sale 2 years ago!
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        Good to know. I should have bought more than 1 during that $500 sale 2 years ago!
                        $1200 guitar for $500? You should have bought them out and resold them lol

Comment

Originally posted by hunterkolb View Post
                          On a 24 fret X-series Jackson (RR24XT, RRXMG) access up to 22nd fret is as easy as on a RR1, I think.
                          Last edited by Zedder; 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM.
                          My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Originally posted by Zedder View Post
                            On a 24 fret X-series Jackson (RR24XT, RRXMG) access up to 22nd fret is as easy as on a RR1, I think.
                            it looks that way.

Comment

Working...
                            X