No more new Jacksons in GC - Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
    Seems like we hear some slightly different version of this "GC no longer carrying Jackson" story every few months.
    Its the broken clock theory. A broken clock is right two times a day. Sooner or later someone will be right.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

It sounds like the OPs luthier got some bad info from the GC folks. I have yet to go to my local one and find anyone who knows much about guitars. Even the manager is out of the loop on what they have and what they are getting. I'm guessing GC has an inventory program that does all the thinking for them. Maybe they figure us southerners only play country and skynard so we won't want Jacksons or Charvels.
      Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
      2007 Jackson DK2M
      1983 Kramer Pacer Special
      2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
      2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

My local GC just received 2 brand-new USA Custom Shop Jacksons last week... a SL2H and a Kelly. So I think some more verification is required here. :think:

Comment

The GCs in the DC area are carrying the X Series now, too. They all seem to have one neckthru and one bolt-on in stock. Not much, but better than before.

Comment

We GC are currrently selling less Jacksons than previous years. So why fill the store with inventory that won't sell quickly? We pay taxes on the inventory. If things sit around for too long they get dinged dented and otherwise less desirable as a new guitar. It then needs to be discounted. Paying a large some of money for a damaged guitar isn't what most people want to do. So gc has opted to carry the less expensive x series in most stores and the US stuff in some high volume stores that have that market. Also if gc had sold b stock as new at full POP. That would ruin the relationship with fender I'm whole not just Jackson. All I gotta say is the gut at nammnamm was either blowing smoke and making stuff up to dis gc or he believed an incorrect rumor. GC does still carry Jackson. Period.

Gil

Comment

so YOU work for GC Jacksonfreak?

Currently Shredding:
              2007 Jackson DK2M
              2013 Kramer 5150 Kit

Comment

I went into one of my local GC's just to look at a used DK2 they had on their website. As I walked around the store mulling the idea of bringing the guitar home with me, I was a little shocked by what they had hanging on their walls nowadays. It was about 95% low end stuff. I understand that you need that sort of inventory to offer the beginners, but when the best guitars were their used gear, that's a little strange to me. I hope it just a sign of the times and it will return to normal eventually. I remember the days of walking in there and drooling over all the guitars that were way way up at the top of the wall. Now, if I just stop by on a whim, i'll walk in turn right and do a loop around the guitar/bass area and walk back out. I will say though that the salesman that I dealt with on the DK2 was a good guy and I would go back and deal with him again. That's not something I would have said in the 90's. They did have a ton of Fender guitar.
                2011 Godin Summit CT
                2002 Jackson Y2KV USA Flag import
                2006 Jackson DK2 TB
                1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
                2000 LTD H-307
                2003 LTD MH-301
                2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

so YOU work for GC Jacksonfreak?
                  yes Gil works for GC as a tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    yes Gil works for GC as a tech.
                    Well that's cool. I was afraid he was gonna be like some of the employees here. seriously wet behind the ears and don't know crap!

I went into one of my local GC's just to look at a used DK2 they had on their website.
                    see, in the 90s our guitar center was actually a musicians friend. I loved shopping there. tons of cool different guitars. Now it's a fender fest! Giant wall covered with fenders in about 6 different colors. Gibson, epiphone, and PRS share one wall and the other is Ibanez, ESP/LTD, and BC Rich. I can't blame guitar center for a lack of much exciting stock.

Gil, you said we. do you actually work for GC or are you leasing space in the store? The tech in knoxville leases the space from GC and the staff can't do anything tech wise to an instrument. kinda sucks when he is backed up.

Currently Shredding:
                    2007 Jackson DK2M
                    2013 Kramer 5150 Kit

Comment

The Internet and specialty stores have gobbled up most of the high-end guitar market, I believe. Let's face it, a store full of $2,000+ guitars isn't going to do the kind of volume necessary to justify the kind of real estate that GC occupies--at least not anymore. When brick and mortar stores were the only game in town, it was different. Also, I imagine the profit margin on a starter guitar is pretty high, and they are an "easier sale."

It's like going to Home Depot looking for specialized hardware or going to Target looking for high-end home furnishings. You're going to be disappointed every time.

Comment

one place i love to check out are pawn shops near big military bases. Talk about you're big variety.

Currently Shredding:
                        2007 Jackson DK2M
                        2013 Kramer 5150 Kit

Comment

Yes I'm a GC employee. And the tech. Been with gc for over 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                            Yes I'm a GC employee. And the tech. Been with gc for over 10 years.
                            Thats pretty cool. I don't know where they got the guy they have, apparently he is supposed to do a good job but most of the time when I've talked to him he's been a real ass. I wrote GC corporate and suggested they move him to an area in the back rather than right out front with customers.
                            As a tech are you the person who IDs or verifies the ID of guitars?

Currently Shredding:
                            2007 Jackson DK2M
                            2013 Kramer 5150 Kit

Comment

Well saw a few more new X series in my GC last Sunday.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Unfortunately, Japan is in a terrible state right now because of the Fukushima meltdown. The radius the US uses for the evacuation zone in the event of a meltdown is 50miles/80km.... this includes the city of Tokyo... It looks like Jackson is in a transition period for their mid range guitars and switching to India for the X series. So I suspect we will see the same number of Jacksons in stores in the future, they will just be the X series.d

Comment

Working...
                                X