No announcement yet.

What is up with Jacksons and Floyds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is up with Jacksons and Floyds?

As for going to drop D with a floyd, when you set it up right AND if you have a nice rackmount tuner, it takes about as much time as a guitar change as it does for me to correctly retune my guitar to drop D... a minute and a half maybe less.

After doing it a few times, you get a really good idea of where you need to be just from where your fine tuners rest, and after doing it for a few months, it's really no big deal at all.

Also, my string thru soloist goes out of tune more than any of my floyded guitars.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Perhaps the real question is: why doesn't Jackson offer Floyd and fixed bridges as alternatives throughout their model range? The lack of an "SL-1T," "SL-2HT," and "DK-1T" are glaring omissions in their USA-made product line.

Obviously, there's a market for both. Interestingly, I believe a fixed-bridge SL-2 JacksonStar is available in Japan. Shouldn't be too difficult to send a few of 'em to the USA and Europe...

Comment

Floyds just plain Rule. I keep adding Floyded guitars to my collection and I do prefer them if I have a choice, but I like all kinds of bridges. I have three guitars with tunomatics, one with a vintage trem, one with a Wilkinson, the rest have Floyds. Any loss in tone is negligable so don't worry about it, just get the strings stretched when you change and forget about it!!....I've only had a string break on me once during live use and I was very suprised that it finally happened and it actually broke about 1cm from the bridge, a bit faulty maybe.

Comment

Personally, I go back and forth on the Floyd issue. My current No. 1 guitar is an '86 Model 5 that I modded to be a fixed bridge guitar with a Kahler APM3310 bridge that I got from Kevin Easton. Right now, I'm really fond of the tuning stability that gives...but I'm not quite ready to get rid of my Floyded guitars just yet--I know that the moment I do I'll dream up a guitar part on one of my recordings that requires one!!

Comment

I'm a floyd guy all the way!But I'm building a string thru tune-o-matic bridged star pointy head just because I thought it would be different, as well for the tone being strung thru the body.
            I have a stealth HX 3 hums TOM string thru and love the tone.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Erock are you still looking to sell or trade that rr1?

Comment

Yeah, strings I am looking to move the RR1 still. Any propositions?

Comment

i have a prs ce 24 i'm thinking of getting rid of

Comment

I've never in my life felt the urge to use a tremolo, even when trying out guitars with trems in the shop. And if I don't use a trem, I don't want the hassle with setting it up. Plain and simple.

That's why I've always had guitars with fixed bridges. Right now I have two Jacksons, a DKMGT and a KVX10, amongst other cheaper guitars.

EDIT: Typo...

[ August 19, 2003, 03:36 AM: Message edited by: Fifth_Horseman ]
                    http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I´m primarily a Floyd-man, since all my guitars have either OFR or Schaller-bridges. But it all boils down to a matter of taste...either you like ´em, or you don´t.

I´m actually going to purchase a fixed bridge-guitar in the future, but every time I get around to it another Floyded beast tempts me away from it [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I actually don´t know exactly what I´d want with a fixed bridge anyway, but somehow I feel that I should at least have one for studio-work. I´ll probably end up getting a SLATQH, so Jackson delivers yet again. I think they have enough fixed bridges at the moment, and certainly more than ever before.

Comment

I like the RR1T. It has a string thru bridge, without messing around with the guitar. Like on the KE2T and KV2T.

The RR1T is a RR1 with tunomatic bridge

They should have that option on Kellys, King Vs and soloists...don't change something else [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

KV_X - What color GX do you have for sale and any pics ?

Comment

The best solution.....

BLOCK IT!!!!!

A properly set up Floyd when blocked stays in tune AMAZINGLY well! Better then any fixed bridge guitar I have ever owned [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I wish Jackson would use a new trem since the patents are up. A modified floyd with a lower profile sorta like the Ibanez Lo-pro edge!

Comment

Working...
                            X