Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with my Charvel ProMod project

Mainly with the neck.

1. The neck has some flame. Is there a way to bring out the flame to make it even bolder? I'm thinking how those beautiful amber USA Charvel necks looked back in the 80s.

2. Tuner issues! I bought some Grovers, but the tab? hole is in the wrong place. In fact, my Schallers and Jackson tuners don't work either. All tuners are the same, but none work for this neck. What tuners do I need?

Thanks.

Didn't think this was such a hard question?

Comment

There is a process where you use several different color stains and sand between coats. I'm not sure which you start with first, dark or light but I think you start off with dark. Sand with rough paper, then stain dark, sand with finer paper, then stain medium, sand with fine paper, then stain light.

Some people use coffee grinds, other people use regular stains... I have no idea on what to do, only that someone with the right technique can make wood show off real deep 3D.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I just drilled new holes on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          I just drilled new holes on mine.
          Seriously!

I don't understand this shit with selling guitars in pieces!!! AARRR!!!

I cannot bring myself to drilling any extra holes.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
            There is a process where you use several different color stains and sand between coats. I'm not sure which you start with first, dark or light but I think you start off with dark. Sand with rough paper, then stain dark, sand with finer paper, then stain medium, sand with fine paper, then stain light.

Some people use coffee grinds, other people use regular stains... I have no idea on what to do, only that someone with the right technique can make wood show off real deep 3D.
            Cool. That's good info to send me down the right path. Thanks.

Comment

You should get the correct tuners, trust me. http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-USA-Grover...item2ebe9fce84

As far as the finish for the neck, there's a great tutorial for dying and finishing with Bichwood Casey gunstock oil somewhere, I'll try to find it and post it up later.

Comment

Originally posted by plon View Post
                there's a great tutorial for dying and finishing with Bichwood Casey gunstock oil somewhere, I'll try to find it and post it up later.
                This?

http://educ.jmu.edu/~dehartcg/finish.htm
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

This might help?

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...oes-the-maple/
                  I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by plon View Post
                    You should get the correct tuners, trust me. http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-USA-Grover...item2ebe9fce84

As far as the finish for the neck, there's a great tutorial for dying and finishing with Bichwood Casey gunstock oil somewhere, I'll try to find it and post it up later.
                    Thanks plon. Just bought those tuners. I had them in my watch box but I wasn't 100% sure they were right because there was only one picture.

Now I just need an eF'ing neck plate and I'm set.

Thanks for that link Ron and thanks for the video bombtek. Some very good info there.
                    Last edited by DonP; 06-03-2012, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Don, A light amber tinted oil will help make the flame pop a bit. I've done the coffee thing too, it works a bit but makes the neck look more aged and relic'd than golden. and Grovers the old ones had a slightly different mounting tab location, but all of the ones made in the past 10 yrs or so should be the same.

Comment

Don - The exact tuners for the pro mods are the Grover Mini Rotomatic 205's.
                        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Now I just need an eF'ing neck plate and I'm set.
                          Do you have the right screws? Jackson dinky or fender strat type are too skinny. Model series or promod as well as some jackson strat screws will work. You can use the strat screws with toothpicks or whatever in the threads but the neck might move in the body holes if it gets bumped at all.

Comment

That Reliable Fender on Fleabay is soooo intelligent with his pricing, he's a bit of a genious, seriously I think his talents are waste on Fleabay.

I never understood getting parts and putting them together, as always it usually works out more than a used pro mod, or even a USA San Dimas...but you don't get a case. Its like HP on a guitar, even if you score a bargain body etc, you do end up paying over the odds, if you want everything to be authentic.

However, there are bargains and if you need just a neck or a body or a hardware part or something, it is tempting, I've used him a lot to get a few bits and bobs, he is a great seller, but like I said extremely clever and perceptive. He should be some millionaire business employer, not a small time Ebayer IMO.

I can understand someone wanting to mate a USA neck and a Japanese better quality body though.

While we are on the subject, is there anyway to get rid of the yellow tint they mix with the Tru Oil used on Japanese Necks? I got a Jap Dreamsicle ebony neck off him (Vintage Trem nut) to use on my 2004 San Dimas USA. I fancy sanding it off and dry bleaching somehow a bit, including getting shot of the orange headstock (Doesn't quite match with Candy Blue)
                            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                              That Reliable Fender on Fleabay is soooo intelligent with his pricing, he's a bit of a genious, seriously I think his talents are waste on Fleabay.
                              Yeah, he's got me a few times.

My project started with a good price on a flamed Pro Mod neck. Then I picked up and excellent body here (thanks plon!). Got the backplates off ebay. Hopefully this time I got the correct tuners from Reliable Fender - they are on the way. And now I just need that neck plate. I put a high bid on one fron Reliable Fender - just hoping I don't get shilled.

That will do it. I have a couple of OFR black trems and plenty of pickups.

It's funny you mention your neck is yellowed. Mine is white, but I might yellow it to get the flames to "pop".

Comment

Working...
                              X