No announcement yet.

Need help with my Charvel ProMod project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I aways compare that the colour slab of Walnut coloured Melamine he has behind the neck in the photo to see how yellow the necks are. I have one of the first Pro Mod maple necks and also a couple of dreamsicle necks, one with a Dreamsicle attached to it.... They are both a lot whiter, but not as white as a USA. I see some of his are whiter also (Comparing the colour of the walnut melamine for flash etc.) Maybe the Jap ones got whiter as they got later, or maybe the dye added to the oil was inconsistant. I thought the only reason they did it was to tell them apart from USA's, should you sand off the logo?

Yeah I think that is the good of Mr Reliable, you score something elsewhere and he'll always have the rest of the parts you might need. Has a tonne of Fender parts. Always had top service with him too. Compared to the price of a new Musikraft Charvel Spec neck or Warmoth etc. he really isn't that dear, and those necks are as mint as he says they are. I'be been watching him for over two years now, very clever guy. What the hell, he's a great businessman.

The only other way I can think to do it is to get a nice Jap neck off him, go with Gold Gotoh SG360 tuners, Gold Jackplate, Brass Neckplate, EVH pot with Charvel Brass Vol Knob, brass washer and creme toggle if needed, a custom double creme Pup and Dimarzio ring, a Chrome Pro Mod Floyd. Then get Mitch at KNE Guitars to get you a specced Northern Ash or Mahogany 1H body and either oil it or paint it yourself. You won't fool anyone but a hell of a guitar for the money. Hell you could always wind the pickup bobbins yourself to JB spec with a combi drill and then pop an Alnico II in there aka DE Martini or Holdsworth. Feckin Ace! Still waiting to try that one....

Oh yeah regarding the popping flames, remeber that on any USA or Jap San Dimas the neck will go shiny with use, so that will help bring them out in itself, unless you keep sanding back, personally the shine doesn't make it any slower for me.
    Last edited by ginsambo; 06-04-2012, 02:31 PM.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

The neck I scored was very white even though the pictures made it look sort of yellowed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120906387963...84.m1497.l2649

I scored my Pro Mod neck plate on ebay from TheStratosphere (same difference), so I'm set. Maybe I'll need some small stuff like a jack plate, but the major stuff is scored.

Now it's just a matter of putting it together.

Comment

Working...
      X