Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Jackson or Charvel ever equip any guitars with P90's from the factory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Jackson or Charvel ever equip any guitars with P90's from the factory?

I know P90's are considered a very vintage sounding pickup, and that's not what Jackson or Charvel is about. But, a driven P90 pickup has its own voice that to my ears is just fucking KILLER! I've never played a pickup that can sing and then growl the way a P90 can. String attack really changes the voice of one much more so than any humbucker or conventional single coil I've ever played.
    Last edited by bombtek; 06-05-2012, 04:17 AM.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

One of the SweeTone models had them. Nick at PineyHills had a P90'd Jazz'R. I think one of those hideous Dinky-style ones had them.

The Duncan P-Rail is a P-90 with a Rail single that can be split and fits in a regular humbucker route. Haven't compared it to a straight P90.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

A series of SLAT got them too, but they are pretty uncommon. (SLAT90)

Comment

Many people are converting 1952-1956 Les Pauls to have humbuckers. I won't do that to my 1956 Les Paul. The P90's in it are very PAFish sounding. Who knows, when Seth Lover invented the humbucker, maybe he was trying to keep the tone the same as the P90's so that people would notice a huge difference between the two. From what I remember, a P90 had about 8,000 turns of wire, and Seth simply cut it in half for each bobbin of the humbucker.

Comment

P-90's sound great I will admit to that.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The P rails sound awesome.
            I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by Zedisdead View Post
              A series of SLAT got them too, but they are pretty uncommon. (SLAT90)

I bet that this thing is a tone MONSTER!
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I immediately thought of the SLAT's when I think of P90 Jacksons. +1 on the P-Rails giving you that sound. Great pickups!
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I had a medium output P-rails in my green spidey strat (alder body, ebony board) and it sounded like mud butt. I think there are two different versions of it though and of course YMMV. I replaced it with a Duncan Custom which ripped!

Comment

Working...
                  X