Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a pickup for my Jackson

:think:

I traded some stuff for a used Dx10. (so I think), Havent taken pics yet. Nor have a wrote down the Serial #.

I have used Duncan Livewire Hmet for a long time and love them..To me they sound better than EMG and are super agressive...

I play metal with a VHT stack..Looking for opinions on some Passives....BKP Painkiller has been on my mind...

But for a cheaper $50-$100 option what would you suggest???

seymoud duncan custom.

Comment

If you go to duncans site, in their blogs i think they put up a video of all of their metal pickups compared.
      I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        seymour duncan custom.
        'atta boy!
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Gotta go with the Duncans! I prefer the Duncan Distortions...
          1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
          1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
          2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
          2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
          2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
          2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
          1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
          2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
          2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
          1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            'atta boy!
            +3
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

thanks, so no love for Dimarzios here? I heard all the comparisons on Duncan's site.

IMO the Duncan Distortion and Custom Custom were my favorite...For some reason I think with my setup the distortion wouldnt sound good so id choose custom custom.

But more so, out of all of them, nothing compared to the livewire hmet for agression and crunch. Maybe i should just throw some of those in and go active?

Comment

Well, I would say if you know you love how those pickups sound and it's your only guitar or will be your main player, I would go for it. If you want to have more variety then stick in the Custom Custom. Usually a BKP Zealot will jump in to these discussions to recommend a model or two, so that kind of surprises me a bit.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Painkiller sounds nothing like the Custom in my experience, fair warning.

I hate being the BKP Zealot, I really do, because I sound like a broken record but believe me when I say these pickups are worth the coin.

The Painkiller is an awesome pup, but might not get along with the VHT.

EDIT to be more helpful

I would say narrow down what style of metal you play. The starting point for BKP Metal pickups will always be an alnico nailbomb or Holy Diver. Need more output? Go C-bomb. need more tightness? Cold Sweat. need more balls (And tighest of the tight tights)? Aftermath. Too middy? Need more highs? Painkiller. Need something beefier? Miracle Man. Even beefier? Warpig. Stupid? Ceramic Warpig
                  Last edited by Grim; 06-18-2012, 10:24 PM.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

I liked the BKP Holy Diver in my V, the EVH Frankenstein was also really nice. They both have a nice open sound, but also have a lot of crunch.

Comment

Dimarzio X2N. They're in the $75 area.

Comment

Duncan Invader
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I like the JB. Dimarzio Distortion (and the SD Distortion) kick ass too.

Comment

How does the X2N compare to the bridge JB in an adler-body for shred?

Comment

Working...
                            X