The new -old- Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new -old- Charvel

Hey all...great forum. Just picked up what was advertised as a "Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod" from GC in Richmond VA. Well as it turns out its a 2002 Model A plus Koa. Looks actually red and not brown like in the picture. I was a bit skeptical about the Pearly Gates pickups, but I'll tell you, they sound great. Comparable to my old Les Paul Standard really...not sure why people say Pearly Gates don't have a "brown sound". They do, and you can dial in more treble if you want. Could have something to do with the fact that they are Alnico II and around 8~9? Anyway, I like em, and the tone of the guitar. Not to mention the full 24 fret birdseye maple neck is to die for. I guess if I had questions..it would be:1. The trem goes flat with dive bombs etc. - Springs too loose? Need lube on the knife edges?2. Didnt come with a trem bar, using another one...what size should I order...or should I just replace the trem with a Floyd(I will only splurge for a Special- so dont tell me OFR-lol).Not sure why some have busted on this model in some other posts. I like the middle years strat headstock to tell you the truth.Not big questions, just thought I'd say hello to the forum.

Those have the tackeuchi jt580lp, those are good trems(better then floyd specials). I would start with the locking nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
      Those have the tackeuchi jt580lp, those are good trems(better then floyd specials). I would start with the locking nuts.
      I thought that too...but would that cause all the strings to all go perfectly flat? Whats the theory behind that? Its my first Floyd...coming over from the Les Paul/Strat camp. Just had to have one...I'm really into squeelies and feedback right now-lol..its going great. It came down to this guitar and the new Kramer Pacer Classic, which I'm playing side by side. The Kramer has great harmonics, and early EVH tone..but not as smooth and mellow tone. They do look great next to each other though, may have to keep both.------

PS: The trem is floating, and I'd prefer to keep it that way if possible. Not so good at getting the higher squeels right now without it.
      Last edited by jlemberg; 06-15-2012, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I would check the knife edges and trem posts for any kind of metal burrs or debris. Make sure the knife edges are filed nice and smooth.

Comment

Check the lock nut and the trem studs. If either has movement it'll cause said issues and......

It's pronounced soops

Comment

Ive found that 99% of the time, a trem not returning to its point of origin is the spring tension. The springs should provide less tension on the bass side of the trem. If you have the bass and treble side even, it will initially balance after a setup, but after first use, will never return to 0.
            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
              Ive found that 99% of the time, a trem not returning to its point of origin is the spring tension. The springs should provide less tension on the bass side of the trem. If you have the bass and treble side even, it will initially balance after a setup, but after first use, will never return to 0.
              10-4 I'll check that.

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                Check the lock nut and the trem studs. If either has movement it'll cause said issues and......

Tried to figure it out.....HOW DO YOU UPLOAD PICS????? I looked everywhere in my profile for the function...sorry...duuurrr.

Comment

Originally posted by jlemberg View Post
                  Tried to figure it out.....HOW DO YOU UPLOAD PICS????? I looked everywhere in my profile for the function...sorry...duuurrr.

Comment

Working...
                  X