Hello from Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Iowa

Couldn't find an intro forum so If I missed it you can move it for me thank you ...

Anyways, I am just starting out in the guitar field...I picked up a Charvel Desolation Single Cutaway 3 brand new (From musiciansfriend.com) as my first guitar, and picked up a cheap Fender amp at a pawn shop for $55 bucks. Anyways I started out using RockSmith as a guide but it taught me nothing...I started researching on youtube and have learned a few things that RockSmith couldn't. I can now play a little bit of Smoke on The Water (Yes very easy, but I'm a beginner lol) Anyways I hope to talk to some people on AIM if there's anyone out there...my AIM is iowa91camarors. Please IM me, begging to talk guitars with someone lol nobody seems interested really. Here is a pic of my beauty.

Welcome Doc. Nice guitar! Sorry, I don't know about AIM, but you'll find every electric guitar discussion you can imagine (and a whole lot of unimaginable non-guitar related ones too) online here. Appreciate your critique of Rocksmith. I'd been wondering how that is.

Comment

I have been just looking on youtube at tips and tricks

Comment

Hey DOC I'm sure that if you get involved you'll find people that care about giving guitar discussions....from my experience you should try talking even with the worst at this field , the ones that completely suck so that you can apreciate your knowledge.Try out that video series at youtube: Marty Friedman - Electric Guitar Day One (on the upper right corner of the video there is a number from 1 to more than 50, showing you wich one precedes the other. find it ,or download it at a full version).....good luck

Comment

What's up Doc?

My tip for you is that guitar strings need to be tuned. Believe it or not, back in 1985 when I bought my first guitar, I had no idea about this. I bought the guitar and amp. It was quite a while after that I figured this out and bought a tuner.

Comment

I've tuned it according to the game and according to my phone (it seems the game was a bit off from what it should actually sound like)

Comment

Hello, congrats on youor new axe. Don't worry about what you can or can't play yet. Just find some things your interested in and work on them one day at a time. Patience is key. And try to learn some by ear as well. Train it. Enjoy.
              Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
              LTD EC401VF
              Gibby Les Paul
              Ibanez RG220D O Natural
              Fender Parts Caster
              Oranger Tiny Terror Head
              2) Orange PPC 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30
              TU2 Tuner
              Dunlop Cantrell Wah
              Fulltone 70's Fuzz
              Fulltone Distortion Pro1
              Fulltone Mosfet 2
              Fulltone OCD OD
              Fulltone Deja Vibe

Comment

Welcome. I played rocksmith and I thought it was pretty good. Its really boring at first but then it gets kinda tough(for a beginner). When I started playing(back when Jesus was alive lol) I just picked a song I wanted to be able to play and try my damndest to figure it out. The good news is you now have unlimited resources via internet. Tabs from ultimate guitar along with lessons. Theres alot of knowledgeable people here on tech/setup issues and of course technique. The only thing that remains the same since I started is practice,practice,practice. See ya around

Comment

When I started playing 8 years ago I bought a guitar world magazine subscription. They have lots of lessons and songs tabbed out in it. Ultimate guitar, like jdr94 said, also helped me learn a lot of songs.

If your having problems tuning buy a korg or boss tuner like THIS. These are really good tuners for around $10. Their really simple to use and when you get better it lets your down-tune also.

Like every one else say's practice, practice, practice
                  Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                  Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

when I woke up today I strapped it on for about 2-3 hours, walking around the house and sitting around watching TV, practicing getting my D chord right and playing the little bit of Smoke on The Water using the low E string and playing it that way. For some reason it keeps me wanting to learn, since I sort of know a song (whatever it takes I guess right?)

Comment

Welcome. What part of Iowa are you from?
                      1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
                      2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
                      2008 Satin Black SL3
                      2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
                      2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

Welcome to the board.

There's tons of free lessons out there, especially on youtube. Here's a site that gets alot of praise (although I don't have any personal experience with it) http://justinguitar.com/
                        Keep at it!

Comment

Hellooooooooooo
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Sukkoi, I'm from Southeast, about 30-40 minutes from the Missouri border

Comment

Welcome to the forum Doc, another Iowan here. Just keep practicing and you'll get where you want to be. When I started playing at 17, now 41 all I could make was "noise", never took a single lesson. Put my mind to it because I really wanted to play and after 3 or 4 years I was in my first band playing the only guitar in the band. If not for guitar I would have a lot more money but hell I wouldn't change a thing.
                              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                              X