Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A custom shop snob buys a new Charvel import....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A custom shop snob buys a new Charvel import....

Mods, please leave this in the main forum. I'm going to write a review in the import section tomorrow, a bit like the Charvel Model A review I did when those came out.

Ok, I have to admit, I've been slamming the new MIC imports for a variety of reason, not ever having played one. Until today. And I ended up buying it. Mostly just to write a review for everyone here, though there are a lot of reasons to really like as well as plenty of reasons to hate these. I went to the local guitar store to buy a few more of those planetwave headstock tuners... those things are great. Anyway... besides the egg on my face...

They actually had about 6 "Charvel" models, but they were consignment pieces from the company rep. It looked like they had one of each variant. There were the ones with the sparkly abalone bindings and gloss paint, and they had a couple of the LP type guitars. They were all priced between $2xx-$4xx. This was $439 with a MSRP of $799 and came with USA EMGs. I figured what the hell I love grey/black and this looked nice and subdued compared to the other sparkly glossy "Charvels".

Here's a pic next to a standard KV2 that's on the chopping block:

I'll write a review on in the import section with proper pictures detailing everything by tomorrow night.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Not digging the blingy inlays at all.

I have no doubt that Chinese factories can build quality instruments (I mean, the Chinese built the great wall, fer cyin out loud!). My concern is that they've been building ESPee and Ibenhad models for so long that these are simply rebadged LTDs and Ibbys and Schecters, without the "Jackson/Charvel feel".
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yes, these are not really Charvels by any interpretation. I don't mind the inlays at all. The one I bought, the only one I tried, plays really nicely. No dead spots on the neck. The fretwork is really well done. There is no filework on the fretboard. It feels cheap like a toy and the workmanship is pretty bad. Still it plays surprisingly well. The unfinished 3 piece neck without scarf joint feels more like the old Ibanez Wizard profile of the mid/late 90's, it's far thinner than MIJ Charvels. I also got that micro-splinter feel on my thumb, similar to fiberglass on the skin. It needed some oil and steel wool, but after 10 minutes is acceptable. The woodworking is nowhere near MIJ quality. It's kind of sad in ways, and kind of nice in others.

Long story short, for as nice as a neckthru with real EMGs as this guitar is, the workmanship is just not there. Save your pennies and buy a used soloist on ebay for $1000. But, still, I liked it enough to buy. Go figure.

I will write a comprehensive review and in-depth detail all of the good and bad. There's a lot to mention.
      Last edited by xenophobe; 07-30-2012, 02:59 AM.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I'll be curious to check out your review. I still have not seen any of the Desolation series in person yet. I don't know of any retailers in the Washington DC area that are carrying them, though I don't get around to the stores as much as I used to.

Comment

Working...
        X