Why hide the full serial number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why hide the full serial number?

Sorry for the dumb question, but i'm just curious...

Why do some of you guys, when revealing a serial number, sometimes hide the full serial, like UO20xxxx? It's just not in here, but i see this all the time on other forums.

Is there any "problem" revealing the full serial number of your guitar that i'm not aware of?

Because people are paranoid that somehow their personal information will be somehow be traced using a guitar's serial number.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I had somebody call the cops once stating I was selling a guitar that was stolen from them. They grabbed the serial from the ad, filed a theft report, then called the cops that they found it. Sadly for them I had purchased it new and had all the paperwork.

Comment

Yeah, that's the only reason I'd hide the serial..
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

+1

I dont know about jackson's but i do know there were a few guys faking BCRich's complete with fake serial #s. Thats a big reason why some of the BCR collectors won't post full serial#s. Luckily one of the idiots faking the #'s wasnt that smart and its not too hard to figure out they were faked.

Originally posted by neilli View Post
          Yeah, that's the only reason I'd hide the serial..

Comment

That was Ed Roman.

And yeah, aside from the cases like mj stated, it's paranoia. Then again, the claimant has to produce evidence it was stolen, such as a receipt. It's possible, though, since they can simply order some simple receipts local mom-n-pop shops use with the name of a defunct dealer and forge the sale info.

However, if they tried it on a guitar whose serial came after said shop closed, then they would have an uphill battle.

Then again, I see no reason to post any serial publicly. If it's for ID purposes (i.e. Japan vs India), that should be handled via PM by the informed experts.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
            X