Different kinds of fret wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different kinds of fret wiring

What are the pros/cons of thin, medium and jumbo fret wiring? I would think that the thin frets would be easier to play because there would be more room between the frets for your fingers.

Re: Different kinds of fret wiring

If you have big fingers it would be easier to play on a guitar with bigger frets eg jumbo

Small fingers - Thin Frets EG. Gibson SG

Comment

My hands are a little on the small side, but I've got no problem playing on bigger size frets. My Jacksons and Charvel have jumbo, both my Carvins, Fender and Hamer have the medium jumbo. I really like the medium jumbos but will play a guitar with just about any size frets.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I can`t stand thin frets, but I like Medium Frets and really like Jumbo and Low/Wide frets, either one of those 2 are cool with me and giving the slight edge to the Low/Wides like on my Hamer Blitz guitar. Jack.

Comment

ah, wierd. thats exactly the opposite of what i would have thought. I figured bigger fingers = smaller frets would be best

Comment

I like using the biggest fretwire I can get my hands on. Right now I have a Soloist with 6105 and a PS4 with 6100. Huge I know but it gives an almost scalloped feel and I feel it is more articulate for vibrato.
            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Bigger fingers such as mine do prefer a more narrow fret. This is more relative to playing higher notes since it gives you more space between frets. Whether its medium or jumbo sized is pretty much irrelevant to me. I like the 6115 stainless fret wire personally. It is tall like a Jumbo, but, narrow....bends are cleaner sounding without that slight " String scraping across the fret" sound. -Lou
              " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I like all fretwires.

Comment

I find the larger the fret, the less effort hammer-ons and pull-offs take, and they seem to sound more legato.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

what do les pauls use.are those like the same as the small on the custom quote form?

Comment

Originally posted by prsk87:
                      what do les pauls use.are those like the same as the small on the custom quote form?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Les Paul frets are low and wide. Not sure of their exact measurements at the moment, but check out Dunlop's site or Warmoth for more info.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Les Paul frets are also kind a Squared off, I love playing a really good LP Standard because of their frets, if you can find a good one that is. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                        X