Hey guys, got a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, got a question

Im thinking of buying a custom shop kv2 w/ neck-thru and I want this part of the body cut off so I can access the higher frets easier. Heres a link for the pic

http://members.tripod.com/deepwaterknight/test.jpg

Do you think that the neck would have enough support with this part missing? I would hate to buy a 2grand custom shop guitar only to have the neck snap.

Re: Hey guys, got a question

To see the picture, open a new browser window and drag/drop the link into it.

Comment

Wow, this is funny, I'm doing that right now to a Charvel Avenger! I routed the neck a little further towards the bridge and cut away the bottom of the body by the neck joint. I'm putting 24 fret reverse Jackson neck with reverse sharkies on it.
      Here's a mock-up pic of it:
      [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UgDSAowaKn*ZjZCIQeQGmWr*CQpbLk*to9Up6bMPAGKsDoW4A 0u*VYgnGJoKlRuAJ3T37gEULY5lhaVxTnTv6zDHV!2hr6fMisZ oPD*ZoalV3hDfj1Nf*PSV*8JOiYR8/vgraybevswrelief.JPG?dc=4675436184411867490[/img]

Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I had an Ibanez Pro-Line Series V with that exact cut. It was a bolt on, and the neck was very stable.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Hey Budman, make sure you measure everything up with the route and the 2 extra frets or it will never intonate properly.
          Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by YngwieRules:
            Im thinking of buying a custom shop kv2 w/ neck-thru and I want this part of the body cut off so I can access the higher frets easier. Heres a link for the pic

http://members.tripod.com/deepwaterknight/test.jpg

Do you think that the neck would have enough support with this part missing? I would hate to buy a 2grand custom shop guitar only to have the neck snap.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Since the neck, which is through the body, doesn't get much support from the sides at the joint I wouldn't worry about structural issues too much. But have you played a lot of King Vs, and is this a serious enough problem? I know the idea of a custom guitar is to get whatever you want, but are you absolutely set on a King V, or can't accomodate your play to hit those higher frets?

[ August 26, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: JimmyApollo ]

Comment

jimmyapollo : i own a y2kv. its a great guitar but the higher fret access is a pain in the ass. I learned jason becker's dweller in the cellar solo and am working on seranna and both those songs have a few 5 string sweeping runs across the 19-22 frets and its too hard for me to reach it.

[ August 26, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: YngwieRules ]

Comment

isn't the overkill guy's v like that?
                The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy:
                  isn't the overkill guy's v like that?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, Dave Linsk's guitar was like that. Wasn't it the Double Rhoads with blue/black bengal tiger graphic?
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

toejam i'm thinking the gray one with what looked like a bunch of stickers on it.
                    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Ehmm, I can´t get the link to work. You might wanna check if you got everything right. EDIT -If you cut and paste the link works fine.

That has been done before, for example on the ESP Kai Hansen Rhoads-clone. It seems to work OK, since they still make them. Shouldn´t be a problem.

[ August 26, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Dave L ]

Comment

The Rhoads with the offset wing like that looks good, but the ESP type cutout on their Vs?

And you're gonna cut up a custom KV? I'd much prefer if you ordered one like that. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3:
                          Hey Budman, make sure you measure everything up with the route and the 2 extra frets or it will never intonate properly.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey thanks for the warning but I got it covered!
                          [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave->
                          Dave ->

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
                            Hey thanks for the warning but I got it covered!
                            Dave-> [/QB]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Im confused, you are having the neck closer to the bridge which will infact make the neck shorter?

Comment

Originally posted by YngwieRules:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by budman68:
                              Hey thanks for the warning but I got it covered!
                              Dave->
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Im confused, you are having the neck closer to the bridge which will infact make the neck shorter? [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually no. If you measure from the inside of the nut to the edge of the heel(not the fretboard) that butts up against the neck pocket wall, you'll find that a 24 fret Jackson neck is about 19-1/8th" and a 22 fret Charvel neck is about 18-3/8ths". So your not really making the neck "shorter", your just making the neck pocket shorter distance to make up for the longer measurement of a 24 fret neck. Did that make sense? I hope so..... [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave->
                              Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                              X