Jackson Kelly's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Kelly's

So, I played a custom made explorershape guitar today, and it balanced like crap. When standing up, it was OK, but when sitting down, the body nose-dived like crazy.

Is this the case with Kelly's as well? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: Jackson Kelly\'s

Just how does an Explorer/Kelly nosedive when sitting down? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Both of the Kellys I owned balanced fine and didn't nosedive at all (they were both bolt-on necks), but the bodies did tilt out and down away from my stomach a little while standing.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The guitar was handbuilt from a piece of honduras mahogny by a violin builder. The body itself was not idetical to a gibson explorer, but it was similary shaped. I think the cutout where your leg is supposed to be when sitting down was too far to the left. It also had a Kahler flatmount trem. How can you guys play with those things on a guitar? Compared to my floyds(4-5 springs) the Kahler felt like a frickin' toy [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] It was spongy and sh!t.

Also, the guitar sounded AMAZING unplugged! My next guitar will be made out of Honduras mahogny [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Does regular mahogny sound anything like the hondura kind? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

nope, my custom shop KE2TD balances PERFECTLY in all situations.

not quite as easy to play as a Rhoads sitting down, but whatayagonna-do! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

here's a pic

Comment

Originally posted by Thoraby:
          Does regular mahogny sound anything like the hondura kind? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Honduran is supposed to be one of the better grades of mahogany, if not the best. I'm not exactly sure how it compares in sound to other mahogany, though. My Hamer Special has a honduran mahogany body and set neck with a 3/8" flamed maple top and it sounds awesome!!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoraby:
            when sitting down, the body nose-dived like crazy.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You mean like a Les Paul does, body heavy...It must've been the wood of the guitar that did that i think.

Comment

The import kellys do nose dive a little due to the placement of the rear strap button if you will look at a usa kelly the strap button is located higher up on the body.I have a honduras mahogony robin medley with a 3/8ths flame maple top and its not heavy at all and the sound is thick.

[ August 29, 2003, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: Richard ]
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

good god that kelly is bad ass
                www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Hello Gilbert.
                  We must have joined the JCF the same day check the member numbers.That kelly is bad for sure.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I can't speak for the KE2 but the import Kelly I had balanced HORRIBLY. Was a huge disappointment how Jackson could let that out the door. With two new holes drill for changing the position of the strap buttons I fixed it but I would not want to do that for a USA guitar.

And I don't wanna hear "use a big leather strap". If I wanted half a cow on my back I'd join an SRV tribute band.

Also the reason why that custom Kelly above balances so well is that the body is covered in metal, makes it heavy in the body like a Les Paul. I'd be willing to bet that real KE2's dont' balance that well.

Comment

Thanks for the input guy! It's reelly appreciated!

Now could someone who actually OWNS a KE2 tell me how they balance? Both sitting and standing positions!

Thanx another million

Thoraby

Comment

Little known fact is that some Kellys were built with necks made from oversized divining rods. So when your guitars head toward the ground it's because there's water below... [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                          Little known fact is that some Kellys were built with necks made from oversized divining rods. So when your guitars head toward the ground it's because there's water below... [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh, well that explains everything [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

My KE-1 doesn't nose dive, but rather leans forward. As far as sitting position for playing, you can balance it on either knee and play just fine.

Comment

I have a KE1 Marty Friedman signature guitar and the balance is horrible. As soon as you let go it dives to the ground. Just like Donnie's comment above mine leans forward as well. It is very disappointing because I love this model guitar. I have no problems playing it sitting down though, but who wants to sit down to play?

Comment

Working...
                              X