Dr Newcenstein's latest atrocity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Newcenstein's latest atrocity

Ok, what do you get when you cross a bored mad scientist with loose guitar parts?
    Wierd sh1t like this [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Behold the JStratX!

Jackson JSX-94 body with Warmoth Strathead neck, single Jackson JH-2 hummer, JT580LPOS, Grover tuners, and a top mounted output jack [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    The neck is the one that goes with the Star I really need to find the money to have finished - I'm itching to play it but don't wanna ruin the raw body [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Dr Newcenstein\'s latest atrocity

Yeah, you musta been bored [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Are you kiddin? I was SO bored I actually spent a couple of hours trying to get the Floyd inserts outta the Star body without tearing up the studs [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I had one extra post, and I had four extra inserts, but the OFR posts wouldn't fit in em, so I had to drag the ones outta the Star. Found a handy-dandy method of removing inserts that doesn't tear up the posts, as well:

You know those mutli-bit ratcheting screwdriver dealys you find at Wal Mart and such? The ones that come with a little rubber ring that has all the extra screwdriver bits in it? That ring (looks like a small distributor cap) is ideal for removing inserts! Get a thick washer (or a bunch of output jack washers) and put the post through 'em, then through the ring, down into the insert, and start cranking away. The rubber thingy has a hole in the middle about the size of the insert, and when the rubber thingy compresses all the way, the insert starts coming up. If the washer is the right size, it'll keep the post from going down into the ring.

But once you get it out you've overcranked the post, which means it's stuck, but NO PROBLEM! Stick the insert in a drill, put an allen wrench in the post, and drill away in reverse! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

More boredom in the land of Newc, so I crossed a Grover Jackson Roswell Rhoads with a USA AT-1 neck, and voila` ! Instant classic!

Should I name it the RW2T? Jackson has this head on the KV2T, so I guess I could go along with that.
        How about the RosAT?
        RAT?
        RWAT?

Anyhoo, I was hoping to switch the bridge and tailpiece out for a set of Mighty Might gold TOM and Stopbar I picked up last year off Ebay - maybe make a PCSRWAT - BUT MIGHTY MIGHT SH1T DON'T WORK IN ANYTHING!!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Frikkin stopbar inserts are too big for Jackson's holes, the threads on the posts are too far apart to screw into the Gotoh/whatever inserts Jackson uses, the stopbar's post hooks on the end are too narrow to work with anyone else's posts, the bridge post holes are way narrow and won't fit on anything but Mighty Mite's posts, which do not come with inserts, and which won't work with anyone else's inserts [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
        Frikkin MightyMight can kiss my ass [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

I'm surprised you haven't modded your ass by now either! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I would, but I'd have to seal the crack in it, and can't find any filler or clamps [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Huh huh huh - you said crack [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ok, so the JH-2 is officially a POS pickup. Sounds like strangled ass.
                So I took it out and put in a Gibson Dirty Fingers and some sort of Gibson neck pickup (dammit, Gibson, take a hint from Duncan and put a sticker with a model number on the bottom [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
                Couldn't find the second screw for the middle single coil or the other height spring, so I had to leave it H-H. Ruined a brand new volume pot with a 30w soldering iron - damn base of it's plastic [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, now it's also got a 3-way blade, a good volume knob, and the two hums [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                All it needs is the middle pickup, a 5-way switch, and a real Floyd to replace the 580LPOS [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Oh yeah, and a jack plate so I can put the jack on the edge where it belongs [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

[img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Nice to see that neck put to good use. SLS headstocks look damn nice on a Roswell, if you ask me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh yeah [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It plays like buttah too [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    I thought the lack of inlays would screw me up, but I never noticed how much more I'm dependent on the side markers than the fretboard inlays. Since those are always in my field of view, I know where the frets are.
                    Interesting.

Newc

Comment

Top mounted output jack on Dinky body??
                      [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                      I like the Dimarzio Strap there.
                      [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah I didn't have a jackplate to mount the jack to, so I had to improvise [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And the DiMarzio ClipLock is the best strap ever [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

[ September 02, 2003, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]

Comment

The front fret markers or inlays are, apparently only really good for someone else trying to pay attention to your playing....

You think you need those markers on the front, but you really only look at the side markers when you play.

At least, that's the case with me.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                          X