Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup rings on pickguarded guitars. Post pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup rings on pickguarded guitars. Post pics.

Thinking about doing this with my SoCal. Does anyone else do this? Any pics? I've seen Dave Murray's old Strat with rings but not many others. With the angled back neck pocket on my Charvel, the bridge pup sits up ridiculously high and I think a ring would tone it down a bit. Plus I'm going to paint the headstock black with gold logo.

Did a mockup on the Generator. Looks kinda cool.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	redsd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	2451544

I imagine to mount them properly you'd need to go nut-washer-bolt versus screws since I'd worry about screws stripping out of the pickguard plastic.

If it doesn't work out, you are only out the price of a new pickguard.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
      I imagine to mount them properly you'd need to go nut-washer-bolt versus screws since I'd worry about screws stripping out of the pickguard plastic.

If it doesn't work out, you are only out the price of a new pickguard.
      I bought a homemade Dave Murray pickguard that had screws in it and it was fine. But those screws get in the way of the body as they poke out. I took them out.

I believe Dave Murray's doesn't use any screws - just the pickup mounting screws hold them in. That's how my guard is now, and it works.

I've thought of this on an SG Standard - I don't like how the rear pickup pokes out of the pickguard so high.

Other than than, I don't own many pickguard loaded pickup guitars.

Comment

My '86 strathead came with one on the bridge pup, which looks stock to me. It was hanging loose when I got it, but I secured it with four pickup ring screws directly into the pickguard (oddly the four holes were already drilled).

Comment

It actually looks better than I expected.
          "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
          I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

My theory is that a lot of these early ones were really just modded S-S-S pickguards, and the rings were added to hide messy Dremeled humbucker cutouts. In any event, you don't see this much anymore.

Comment

the rings may also be on older guitars to get the pickup high enough to the strings with a floyd mod. i just finished one of my only pickguard'd guitars. I have the bridge hum up as high as it will go and its almost not high enough. im sure cutting the PG a bit and adding a pickup bezel would raise it up a 1/4" or so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                My theory is that a lot of these early ones were really just modded S-S-S pickguards, and the rings were added to hide messy Dremeled humbucker cutouts. In any event, you don't see this much anymore.
                I'm sure that was the case with Dave Murray's.

Today people can order a pickguard with humbucker cutouts so it doesn't look trashy.

Comment

I like the look but why not just do the headstock and leave the pickguard original?
                  "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                  ENGL Powerball II
                  Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                  Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                  Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                  1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                  1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                  2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                  2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                  1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                  2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                  1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                  1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                  2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                  2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                  2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                  2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                  2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                  2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                  2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                  1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Looks old school so go with it.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I added rings to my socal after I shimmed the neck to add even more angle. It worked fine. I didn't use any screws for the rings as the pickup height screws keep the rings from moving anyway. The only other mod I had to do was to trim away some of the thin brass on the underside of the bridge Tonezone pickup as it was preventing the pickup from being raised thru the pickup hole in the pickguard.
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I think I'll try it with just the height screw holding it for now and see how I like it.

Comment

Comment

Above is my USA Socal with a Warmoth Pickguard. Below is with pickup rings sitting on top of the pickguard just for a reference. I'll probably keep this like it is and eventually get a H-S-H pickguard with more of a Dave Murray treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Grawnday View Post
                              Above is my USA Socal with a Warmoth Pickguard. Below is with pickup rings sitting on top of the pickguard just for a reference. I'll probably keep this like it is and eventually get a H-S-H pickguard with more of a Dave Murray treatment.

Nice

I have the H-S-H pickguard and chrome rings. Going to turn my black 2010 American Standard into a Dave Murray tribute strat. There are a lot of specs of an actual Dave Murray strat I do not like, so I'm going to go that route instead. All I need to do is decide on what pickups I want to put in, right now leaning to an actual Cream Super Distortion/36th Anniversary, but have no idea what single coil or white Blackouts.

As for the OP, I like the pickup rings on a pickguard look.
                              I DESPISE ROSEWOOD WITH A PASSION!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X