After 20 years of waiting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 20 years of waiting...

I finally got my Vivian Campbell replica! The one with the skulls and crossbones. As soon as I can I'll get pics up.

I was not 100% happy with a couple things on it though. We had a million problems with the paint on the graphic, and although you can't see it if your even 2 feet away, it still had a slight bit of fading on the red blocks.

The other thing is , what ever the clear finish is, it seems like if I look at it wrong it scratches. cleaning and polishing it left swirl marks in it [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

The guitar actually plays awesome for a guitar that was thrown together from scratch and a few pieces though. I really do love it, with the small exceptions listed above.

I put a super distortion in it and in my SL2 I have a tone zone. I am hoping that the SD sounds the same in the new one as the TZ does in my SL2. The new one is a bolt on with a rosewood board and the body is poplar. The other is as you guys know, alder neckthru and has an Ebony board.

I haven't gotten a chance to play it thorugh my rig yet as its at the practice site, but the 2 guitars sound exactly the same through my little Peavy rage practice amp. Is that a good indication or is that amp just that much a piece of crap? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ September 06, 2003, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: Rick ]
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: After 20 years of waiting...

Congradulations Rick, I remember you talking about this guitar months ago! I'm happy for you dude, enjoy it!

Comment

That's awesome, Rick. Congrats!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Can't wait to see pics.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I wouldn't trust the Rage to show you the difference in the guitars Rick. Congrats on the new guitar and it's good to hear you have a 'practice site'. How's that going?

Vic

Comment

Hey Vic,

You lost me with that first statement. as for the band thing, Well, as I said I went to the audition pretty much blew them away and they asked me to leave my stuff. There was no practice last week cause of the Holiday and after talking to the singer, he told me they would have a decision after the next two practices.

Well that ticked me off, so I went to the singers job and decided I was gonna find out what the problem is. Apparantly the drummer decided he wants someone to sing so they will have 4 part harmonys( which they don't need for what they are doing).

Anyway the singer and the bass player told me that they both want me cause it's just to hard to find a guitarist around here, that is as good as me or not already in a band.

The bass player has been E-mailing me on a daily basis and the singer told me that the bass player tells him more and more that I am the guy who should be in the band.

So what it comes down to, is they have 2 guys the drummer wants to check out before they make their final decision. They may find a guy who can sing, but not whos any better at playing the stuff they are doing and whith the gear I have.

I'm not bein conceited, but there just isn't anyone like that around here. The bass player told me last night that him and the singer tend to run the band ,so they'll just give the drummer his 2 auditons and he told me to relax [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I agree with what they are doing as aband,but they did it the wrong way and I told them that they should have just let me take my stuff after the first practice, auditioned these guys and then make their choice. I told them I just assumed after they asked me to leave my stuff that they had already done that and that I had made it.

The bass player told me, He thought I had made it too [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry about this long ass post, I just needed to get all that out.

Comment

Congrats on the guitar Rick! PICS!

I think Vic meant the Peavey Rage is not gonna let you hear the sound differences between the 2 guitars. It won't, but if the gain structure seems the same, then
            both will likely sound great through your real amp, even though different.

The band thing - that's a bit odd, but you know most musicians ARE odd, so what can you say? I would make damn sure they are not using YOUR gear to audition these guys on, though! You may want to pick up your stuff until they decide just to keep it safe; the other band guys might not even notice if some of your pedals or cables went missing, for example. Not to
            be paranoid, but send 'em a message, that you can be looking for other bands while
            they're looking at other guitarists. Keep it polite but show them you value yourself. No need to lower yourself, no
            matter how badly you want to play, man!

I'm sure you'll end up with the gig, but I would go get my gear until they officially pick you. It will give the guys who are for you a reason to give the drummer the "what are you, stupid?" speech too. Tell him to buy a Vocalist Performer for $150 off of Ebay and there are his harmonies - and it's so simple even a drummer can use it! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Rich,

My next practice is on Monday with them and they haven't even auditioned the other guys yet, so I am gonna take my stuff.

The other thing is that my rack is a bit complicatd and it's all packed up so it would take them a while to figure it out, even if they did try to use it.

One of the first things they wanted to make sure of was that I had the equipment to play, so if they have anyone come over, I'm sure they would want to see their gear anyway, so I'm not too Paranoid about that.

I am gonna take my stuff after the praactice though, there is no need for me to go all the way back and get it if the drummer doesn't come to his senses.

Comment

That's cool; may sound paranoid but I've lived this stuff, and while I've never been ripped for guitars or amps, things like cables are the Bic lighters of rock!

A guy comes to audition and goes "Sh1t! I forgot to pack my guitar cords!", your buds scratch their heads and say, "it can't hurt to let him use Rick's cords, can it?". By the time the dude's done and packing, everyone (including him) may or may NOT remember those were your cables, until you come in and don't have enough cables to hook up your rig. You tend to get upset when the guy who loaned
                YOUR cables to someone who then left with them, acts like he's not responsible for
                replacing them NOW. I have been through that scenario a few times in shared rehearsal spaces, and guys never feel liable for losing your stuff, for some reason. It's a pet peeve for me, since a couple of decent 25-ft. cords is $40. Don't bring me a Radio Shack curlicue cord to replace my decent cable either.

Anyway, good move taking your stuff back til they decide.

Rich
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

PICS!
                  [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyjacksonman:
                    PICS!
                    [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What he said! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Hey congratulations on the guitar!!! I look forward to seeing it at some point..glad to hear it's finally done.

In any event good luck on the band, it sounds like you're the right guy for the job but you know how politics in bands go.....

Comment

Working...
                      X