Older Jackson Single coils ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Jackson Single coils ???

I have a Model 475 with the stock singles in it and the original preamp is long gone and they sound pretty thin. I just rewired it and I may have swapped the wires on them around but I used the outer shield wire as the ground. Did I hook them up wrong? Do I need the preamp to get them right? Thanks guys.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Those are j200 stacked singles, and they need the pre amp or they sound weak.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Thank you.
      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Yeah, most of the old Jackson pickups were designed around the circuitry so that the pickups didn't overload the board, and the board didn't overload the input of your amp or pedal. The J50n, J80/C and J90/C humbuckers were the only ones that were purpose-built as stand-alone pickups. Typically you'd find the J50(bridge) with the Gain Booster, as it was a PAF-type wind that worked best with it.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think the 100 singles are stand alone too(model 3). the 200s sound weak with the boost imo.

Comment

I didn't know that Newc.
            Why do my (2) J90's sound so hot then?

Comment

Re-read that post Cyg....believe Newc is saying that those models do not require the active electronics & therefore....should sound "hot" !!

Comment

The J 100 V will have the exposed slugs.J 200's are covered.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I've had good results with J200s and a preamp.

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER View Post
                    Re-read that post Cyg....believe Newc is saying that those models do not require the active electronics & therefore....should sound "hot" !!
                    OK, got it.
                    Thanks!

Comment

J-95 is on the non preamp list too (my favorite of any and all pickups)
                      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

They are coming out as I don't have a preamp for them. I have 2 of them, anybody who wants them can have them, just shoot me a message with your address and they are yours free of charge.

Comment

One of my strats has a J90C with the JE1200 active circuit, and I'm about 90% sure it's all-original after inspecting the wiring. That is an oddball config though, mostly the JE1200's shipped with J50BC's.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            One of my strats has a J90C with the JE1200 active circuit, and I'm about 90% sure it's all-original after inspecting the wiring. That is an oddball config though, mostly the JE1200's shipped with J50BC's.
                            I've got a soloist that came with a JE1200 & a J50BC. But my 1990 Rhoads has a JE1200 and 2 J80 pickups, and the wiring looks original to me. I didn't like the J50 with the JE1200 much, but I like the J80 with it.

Comment

Never liked the Jackson pickups or electronics....too sterile imo....that said I do like EMG-81s & alot of folks find them sterile too so....sometimes ya feel like a nut....sometimes ya post random Jackson electronics & pickups info:

Comment

Working...
                              X