Charvel I-XSJ Anyone kno info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel I-XSJ Anyone kno info?

A friend of mine aquired this many years ago.
    I though I knew my Charvels, but I never heard of this one.
    Anyone KNOW about it?

Thats a Charvel LSX-III i believe, http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...AcouPage03.jpg

Although the truss-rod cover does indicate that it thinks it is a LSX-I
    Last edited by ralph; 07-23-2013, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I was able to find similar, but not what shows marked on head stock

Comment

The headstock (TRC) says LSX-I, you just read it upside down

Comment

Does anyone know the story on it? Never was a big seller?

Comment

yea, ralph was right first time. The III had a Wilkinson trem, the I had a Wilkinson fixed bridge. Only available for one year.

Charvel tried a few different "odd" shapes through the 90s, to try to stay relevant when Super Strats that were so associated with hair metal fell out of favour. They came up with some cool guitars that you just don't see many examples of. The Surfcaster is a good example that people seem to really be glomming onto lately
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the info. I can always count on this forum

Comment

I want one of those, they are pretty cool and they are mahogany even better.
                Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

I had an LSX-III that was fixed-bridge with a phenolic nut. Every LSX-I I've seen has had the Wilkinson trem/roller nut combo like the pictured one. (Admittedly, this is only the second LSX-I that I've ever seen, and I've NEVER seen another III since I traded mine in [stupidly] for a Washburn RR150) Although the evidence is scant, this leads me to believe that the catalog that Ralph and VitaminG are quoting from actually has the model numbers and their specs flip-flopped. The LSX-I is the trem model, and the LSX-III is the fixie.
                  Last edited by SignoftheDragon; 07-29-2013, 12:58 PM.
                  I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin!

Comment

Lil' more digging in the 1995 specs furthers my theory- the price points and finish options line up with the 'correct' (according to the TRC engraving) classification.

Thoughts?

As far as the story on these, Like VitaminG was saying these LSX axes were some of the attempts Charvel made to stay relevant in the post-hair metal days, along with the Surfcaster. Unfortunately they weren't well received by anyone despite being great players with some very forward-thinking design, and they ended up being one of the nails in Charvel's coffin. I got mine for a steal on clearance at the local music store, and still remember the impression that they were glad to have it gone from inventory.

I loved the feel of my LSX-III, and have looked for another ever since trading it in. Great thin neck (just like the one on my Surfcaster) and cool off-kilter body shape. I don't remember anything specific about the tone, but I remember digging the feel.
                    Last edited by SignoftheDragon; 09-03-2013, 04:56 PM. Reason: fixed broken link
                    I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin!

Comment

Its one of those guitars that AKAI aborted by making it out of basswood instead of mahogany. They had a great idea with the design and visual for a start. But They needed to make it a serious contender and did not even push it hard enough.
                      I would love to have seen this make a comeback. Liked that headstock much better for the double cut bodies like this.
                      An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
                      A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

Originally posted by SignoftheDragon View Post
                        Lil' more digging in the 1995 specs furthers my theory- the price points and finish options line up with the 'correct' (according to the TRC engraving) classification.

Thoughts?

As far as the story on these, Like VitaminG was saying these LSX axes were some of the attempts Charvel made to stay relevant in the post-hair metal days, along with the Surfcaster. Unfortunately they weren't well received by anyone despite being great players with some very forward-thinking design, and they ended up being one of the nails in Charvel's coffin. I got mine for a steal on clearance at the local music store, and still remember the impression that they were glad to have it gone from inventory.

I loved the feel of my LSX-III, and have looked for another ever since trading it in. Great thin neck (just like the one on my Surfcaster) and cool off-kilter body shape. I don't remember anything specific about the tone, but I remember digging the feel.
                        Nice work. It wouldn't be the first time a catalog was screwed up. Interesting that the fixed bridge version is the costlier option
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                        X