Wow have things changed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow have things changed!

I remember the days when USA Select meant DK1, SL1, SL2H, RR1, KV2, KE2, etc. And the pro models were the DK2, KV4, RR5, RR3, etc. Standard Jackson shapes that we've all come to know and love, high quality even the imports (except the JS line).

Now on the Jackson site, USA Select's are almost nothing but 7 strings and 8 strings. To whom are they trying to appeal now?

And even though the Custom select's have some familiar shapes, many of the normal Jackson guitars we all grew up with are gone.

There's not a single Floyd to be found on any of the Pro series models, nor sharkfins.

It almost seems like what Jackson used to be is now concentrated in the JS series, which looks like what the pro series used to be.

Lots of crazy changes!!!
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Interesting observation. Sounds like a shame. I haven't looked at the website in ages. I guess I'm more interested in Jacksons made in the glory days.

Comment

personally, it seems that jackson is trying to find the right "budget formula" - and by looking at their latest low-end offerings, they might be close. sadly, the high-end seems to be suffering. while i dig the looks of the new 7 and 8 strings, i am a 6 string player, so i am not interested in those. about the ONLY models jackson offers that interest me are the PC-1, DK-1, and the Adrian Smith, though if they made a 6 string version of that new 7/8 shape i would check it out.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

And so it goes for companies with a legacy....

Try to venture out with new designs/specs to reach consumers in the modern market and old school fans cry.

Stay with only the old school designs/specs, and people cry that you're losing touch and not innovative enough.

It's a difficult balance. Not saying I agree or disagree with the changes...just making an observation.

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthguy View Post
          To whom are they trying to appeal now?
          Mostly males from 15-24 with disposable income.
          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I disagree with the OP. There are certain things that have disappeared, but if you dive into the available models, most of the USA models from the last decade are still available. Floyds are available on most, if not all, of the Pro series guitars, and the SL2 Pro is the only neckthru model in the the Pro series that doesn't have sharkies.

What I DO see is that the new models (not the variations of old models) are based mostly around the Broderick body and not the classic Dinky shape. At least there are some new designs. The Dominion was the only new design that had been introduced for a long time.

Comment

Looks too me that after page 1 all the old standby's are still there
              “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

well lets all hope for the best , imho , thats all we can do , see ya , alz / 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                  Mostly males from 15-24 with disposable income.

Yes and they should honestly. The late baby boomers - the early gen X crowd are worried about the last kid going to college maybe the first, or retirement. They have to go for volume to an extent. The JCF folk are niche. They need a new generation of them too and it is metal. Perhaps not the metal we grew up with but still. The troubling thing is the custom shop needs a revamp. They were legends and they need to get the big ticket items up to snuff. Thing is, custom shops in any industry might be a loss leader these days because of technology. Jackson/FMIC is competing for volume too because the quality of lower cost gear is vastly improved. Across the board. It is a dilly of a pickle.
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
                    Yes and they should honestly. The late baby boomers - the early gen X crowd are worried about the last kid going to college maybe the first, or retirement. They have to go for volume to an extent. The JCF folk are niche. They need a new generation of them too and it is metal. Perhaps not the metal we grew up with but still. The troubling thing is the custom shop needs a revamp. They were legends and they need to get the big ticket items up to snuff. Thing is, custom shops in any industry might be a loss leader these days because of technology. Jackson/FMIC is competing for volume too because the quality of lower cost gear is vastly improved. Across the board. It is a dilly of a pickle.
                    I agree.
                    Just wanted to answer the OP. End of the day, we're not the target customer anymore.
                    I think it's a sad thing, but it makes sense from the sales point of view.
                    Though I don't see too many artists joining the Jackson bandwagon in 2013, I hope it will get better in 14.

The CS problems are just shameful. I have to admit that the money I had put aside for a new CS Jackson is now going to a GMP. (I got the quote today and it's quite fair.)
                    That's the type of thing that FMIC needs to stop from happening. But, the horror stories are coming in too often to want to roll the dice.
                    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

FMIC really fouled up. They may correct it but who knows. Affordable USA models and the custom shop was what Jackson was built upon. There is a pride in owning a Jackson. Fender will water that down.
                      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I see it the opposite way... I see renovation, innovation, affordability and availability. From my side of the pond, it's a pretty good time to be a Charvel/Jackson lover
                        Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                          I disagree with the OP. There are certain things that have disappeared, but if you dive into the available models, most of the USA models from the last decade are still available. Floyds are available on most, if not all, of the Pro series guitars, and the SL2 Pro is the only neckthru model in the the Pro series that doesn't have sharkies.

What I DO see is that the new models (not the variations of old models) are based mostly around the Broderick body and not the classic Dinky shape. At least there are some new designs. The Dominion was the only new design that had been introduced for a long time.
                          Not sure if I'm looking at the right page, but when I go to the pro models at this page http://jacksonguitars.com/products/i...es&section=new there are only 6 pro models and none have Floyds.

USA select is here http://jacksonguitars.com/products/i...ct&section=new and only has 10 models (no 2nd page that I can see) and there are no former shapes ... only new 8 and 7 strings and Corey Beaulieu Vs.

JS series here http://jacksonguitars.com/products/i...JS&section=new has all the shapes we're used to but I'm assuming they're still entry guitars and not the best quality

X series here http://jacksonguitars.com/products/i...es&section=new is all new stuff

Custom Select here http://jacksonguitars.com/products/i...ct&section=new has what I would think of as Jackson but these, of course, couldn't be bought by the typical consumer due to high prices. So the average Joe wanting these shapes would have to settle for JS or nothing.

Also, I'm not complaining about the newness. I just said that things have changed a lot. But look at other companies such as Fender (which ironically owns Jackson) who has been churning out the same styles such as tele and strat for over 60 years, Gibson (same), Ibanez (RGs since the 80s), and so forth. I mean, I'm all for introducing something new, but getting rid of the old just shocked me. My fave Jackson has always been the pro series DK2. A couple years ago they got rid of it and introduced a new line (the X series) that had something similar, but now it seems to be gone as well (unless I'm just not navigating the site correctly). And of course, over on the Charvel side they had models such as solists and other familiar shapes, but now it seems all they're offering is the single cutaways and the pro-mods.

Now, when I click on individual models (dinky, soloist, kelly, etc.), I see that the DK1, DK2M, KV2, KE2, etc., so I guess they're still available, but of course when you look at the individual series' pages, they aren't listed there. But I've already typed out all of the above so I'm leaving it. Maybe the web site needs to be updated so that all the guitars are shown whether you click on the model name or the series name. :p
                          My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

yeah, but if you click "soloist" this page pops up:

http://jacksonguitars.com/products/s...yShape=Soloist

click "king V" this page pops up:

http://jacksonguitars.com/products/s...bodyShape=King V™

jackson is still making the same stuff, you just have to look under the specific body shape.
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

In your links you have a search filter of NEW! Click the button that says View All Models.

Comment

Working...
                              X