JT6 or FR Special??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT6 or FR Special??

Hey guys! I have an 87 Charvel Model 2 with a kind of beat up JT 6. I like the trem but I really should replace with either a nicer/cleaner JT6 or something on the cheaper side like a Floyd Rose Special. Anybody have input on this topic??

i have never been a fan of the JT-6. i only have had one guitar with the Floyd Rose Special, and it was fine. I do think the OFR is better, but I had zero issues with the special.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

The JT6: Tremolo of Champions!

Comment

I don't mind the JT6 at all. I've had minor issues over the years, but I've had minor issues with OFR's, Schallers, Kahlers, and Wilks. If you know how to set them up and maintain them, they're great.

Comment

No issues with the JT6. I'd try to get an OFR or a JT590 instead of the Special. Pot metal saddles just sound meh. I do have one Special (I think) on an Adrian Smith import. It sounds good, but the sustain just isn't there like similar bolt-ons with better trems. It will be upgraded some day.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            No issues with the JT6. I'd try to get an OFR or a JT590 instead of the Special. Pot metal saddles just sound meh. I do have one Special (I think) on an Adrian Smith import. It sounds good, but the sustain just isn't there like similar bolt-ons with better trems. It will be upgraded some day.
            +1 Pot metal trems suck in my opinion. I would go JT6 or a 590 or OFR if you look around on Ebay you can find them pretty cheap sometimes.
            Last edited by leftykingv2; 10-29-2013, 12:50 AM.
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
              +1 Pot metal trems suck in my opinion. I would go JT6 or a 590 or OFR if you look around the Ebay you can find them pretty cheap sometimes.
              The whole trem plate on the JT6 is pot metal in case you didn't know
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Wow that sucks! I guess that's why I only use OFR's. I thought the Jackson trems were hardened steel for sure. Oh well live and learn especially on this site. Thanks for the knowledge 84Sups!
                This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I have the Specials on 3 guitars. I added the big brass blocks to them and they work great. That dude Chappers did a trem shootout and the Special actually stayed in tune the best out of all of the ones tested. Here is the link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSaJ9-HaRSU I have never had a problem with any of mine. Very good trems for the money.
                  "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                  ENGL Powerball II
                  Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                  Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                  Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                  1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                  1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                  2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                  2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                  1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                  2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                  1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                  1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                  2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                  2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                  2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                  2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                  2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                  2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                  2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                  1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                    The whole trem plate on the JT6 is pot metal in case you didn't know
                    Yes, they are, but they are good. Never had a problem with a JT6.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Honestly, I would save your money and get an OFR. The Floyd specials have some zinc parts on them, and while I know they work fine for most people, I just really believe its well worth spending the extra 100 bones on an OFR.....just my opinion.....
                      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Most of the JT-6 is soft crap, but the knife edge insert is hardened steel. So the knife edge isn't an issue on them, it's the whole rest of it that is.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
                          Honestly, I would save your money and get an OFR. The Floyd specials have some zinc parts on them, and while I know they work fine for most people, I just really believe its well worth spending the extra 100 bones on an OFR.....just my opinion.....
                          +1

Comment

If you are on a budget a Floyd special will be fine. Will you be gigging with the guitar? If you are you may want to upgrade the saddles and sustain block down the road which can be done for not a huge amount of coin, of course it will cost more than a real OFR unit in the long run. The one I have on my SLXQ stays in tune just fine.
                            It's pronounced soops

Comment

Working...
                            X