When did the Dinky change shape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did the Dinky change shape?

I have a 93 Jackson catalogue sitting here, there are some custom graphic DK1's in there, both 24 fret but one seems to be the older body shape with more rounded horns and less of a cutaway as you got on the 22 fret ones and one the newer shape with extended cutaway and pointier horns. Mind that catalogue features some kahlers too.

So just wondered if there was an official date when the cutaway and horns changed shape in the DK1's history, or was it a case of less stict templates on the older guitars?
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

When it got rubbed?

Check the Steve Stevens glow Charvel thread in the USA Charvel forum. I believe there was some discussion of it it there.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Those would be Custom Dinky models. I don't think there were any DK1 models made until at least 1996 or 1997. The first DK1 was 22 frets and H/S/S Duncans, and the later version is 24 frets and H/H EMGs.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It all depends on how many frets. The original Dinky body was for a 22 fret neck. The 24 fret Dinky bodies look more like a Soloist. When I saw the title of this thread, I figured it was going to be about how Fender Mexico has butchered the Dinky body on the new models.

Comment

Yeah, I assumed they were always called DK1's but forget the bolt on were called Dinkies at the time.

It seems around the time when 24 frets were introduced and applied to the soloist and Dinky styles the extended cutaway changed the look of the thing, but even so that was happening with the soloists back in 1988.

On the 22 fret ones the top cutaway only extended to a maximum of the 18th fret and the bottom on the 22nd fret and the horns are rounder.

On the 24 fret ones, the top cutaway extended to the 20th fret and between the 23rd and 24th on the lower cutaway making the horns look sharper.

Seems to be a lot of mix and match going on in the catalogues. I like the old 22 fret, non extended cutaway Soloist/Dinky design, it is chunkier, somewhere between a modern Dinky and a Strat and the horns are rounder. So I guess Demartini's Frenchie would be of the older cutaway shape/variety also.

Looking at a 22 fret DR2 compared to a 24 fret DR3 for example in the 1996 Jackson Catalogue. Another thing is for sure, whilst the extended cutaway and 24 frets were being done way back in the very late 80's, the modern later SL1 soloists and DK1's horns definitely got sharpened from the original 24 fret cutaway design as well. So that is like 3 shapes of Dinky, excluding the latest ones.

Just remiscing really, funny because I hated the 24 fret Dinkies at the time back in 1990 odd and the Stealths, they reminded me of the Ibanez's that were coming out and I remember feeling really angry at the time, like Jackson was just selling out to directly compete with the Jems and stuff on their platform, as I really liked them chunkier looking. Kind of draws parallels to today. But also on a positive note, I don't think the modern Jacksons have stylistically deviated from the Jackson brand at all, given the history.

Comment

I mean, as much as I hate it, I know and can accept that the days of the pink 1H USA Jackson Strats are well and truly over, dead and buried. But they did make a lot of mingers in the past as well.

I mean, what about the SDX Super Dinky or how pissed would you have felt at the time with a JSR1 with tiny little fret dots?

I donno, I think I might be going mad, the horns on the Dinkys and soloists, even with the standard extended cutaway seem to change in sharpness from year to year. With regard to the imports, did they do an Ibanez, then revert back for a few years before finally settling on the SL1 and DK1 design?

Comment

And to confuse things even more, there used to be a model called the Strat 24, which was a strat body with 24 frets. And they used to call Dinkies a Dinky Strat. I'm not sure when they sharpened or extended horns, and certain Dinkies also had the scalloped lower horn which are found on most Fusions.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like the JSR-1!!!! I have always wanted a trans white one....
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

And remember when looking at pictures, the beveled bodies can make pictures look distorted at certain angles.

Comment

my 88ish and 86 are both exactly the same shape. The pickup routes,& electronic route are different.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      And to confuse things even more, there used to be a model called the Strat 24, which was a strat body with 24 frets. And they used to call Dinkies a Dinky Strat.
                      Yeah it's nuts. Then there is the "Dinky/Strat" which is not a "Dinky Strat" but a half-breed between the two. Also the picture of the "Strat-24" in the catalog is clearly a Dinky. :dunno:

Comment

Have you seen the 87 white pencil sketch Dinky Strat, I think it's featured in the 87 catalogue. That and the 88 red snakeskin yellow cockdragon, which I think was on here a short while ago are definitely the best shape I reckon. Both have 22 frets and the short horns. I'd love to get an old one one day.

Funny, even the only 22 fret Dinky which Jackson still currently make, the JS11 still has the longer horns, so it looks like a 24 fretter, rather than being the old shape.
                        Last edited by ginsambo; 11-06-2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                          Have you seen the 87 white pencil sketch Dinky Strat
                          One of those bodies was just up on the bay a few weeks ago.
                          "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

An '87,'89ish & '86 all exactly the same shape. The horns are the same length and follow the same curves as a Jackson strat just thinner.

Comment

I miss that crackle finished one. She is one sweet ass guitar. The other ones are awesome also. Oh... I am clueless on the question asked, just got lost in the Jacksons!

Originally posted by j2379 View Post

An '87,'89ish & '86 all exactly the same shape. The horns are the same length and follow the same curves as a Jackson strat just thinner.
                              I like black and white guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X