Soloist Pro v. Model 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist Pro v. Model 6

I've been patiently waiting to nab a old Soloist Pro for the past few years, and now that I have the funds to pick one up, there seems to be none available. However, there have been a few Model 6s available, but I have never tried one out before. As much as I love the sexiness of the Pro, I have been tempted to get myself a Model 6.

Which course of action should I take, and in your guys' experience, which is better?
    I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
    ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
    Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
    Blackstar Soloist HT60
    Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
    Seymour Duncan 805

I have both. I love both. I heavily modded my '87 Model 6 (quilt top, 1 vol and rotary pup switch, square plate JT580LP) and love it.. But.... My '90 Soloist PRO is the guitar that made me sell my USA Soloist. It is the most solid, best playing and feeling guitar I've ever touched. They are the same materials (maple/poplar), the hardware is mostly a wash if you upgrade the M6 JT6 with OFR (or preferred equvalent). Electronics is a preference thing.. The neck on my Model 6 is a bit thicker than the PRO but not uncomfortable, just a bit different. I really couldn't yell you which to go for. I'd say you'd have to try them both..

And BTW, I think the upside down smile on that face answers your question..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

The only drawback on the Model 6 to me was the behind the nut Kahler locknut. I found that to be major PITA but then had a proper floyd nut installed.

Truth be told I was also not a fan of those on/off three pup switches and wished that they had just installed them with the standard strat style 5 way but still overall a great guitar and killer tone too!

Comment

My model6 is the only import I still own if that counts for anything. I prefer the non recessed trem and larger heal of the mod6.

Comment

I have a pro and a model 5A. I like the Pro a lot more. I wish every Charvel had an Ebony fretboard.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
            The only drawback on the Model 6 to me was the behind the nut Kahler locknut. I found that to be major PITA but then had a proper floyd nut installed.

Truth be told I was also not a fan of those on/off three pup switches and wished that they had just installed them with the standard strat style 5 way but still overall a great guitar and killer tone too!
            How much of a PITA was it to change to a true floyd locking nut?

Comment

Well, for one, the Floyd nut requires cutting wood, whereas the Kahler after-nut simply screws onto the head behind the existing regular non-locking nut. So if you're not skilled at modifying a non-locking-nut headstock....

However, what you may want to consider instead is a 650XL, which is a "factory Floyded" Model 6. Also has the 5-way instead of the mini-toggles.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                I heavily modded my '87 Model 6 (quilt top, 1 vol and rotary pup switch, square plate JT580LP) and love it
                Pics? I've got an idea for a Model 6 project I should be getting soon.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like the non-recessed trems on the Model 6/650XL.

I like the Floyd nut and 5 way better.

And I prefer ebony.

So I need an ebony board 650XL

FWIW I have a pair of 6's, a 5FX, a 550XL, and a few USA soloists. I like 'em all.

Comment

You've seen it toejam.. Few years ago, had a whole thread on the build.. Here's the photobucket album. First pics are the finished, rest are the build.. http://s237.photobucket.com/user/war...03196323273434
                    Here's the build thread.. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/100...ates?highlight=
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

A Model 6 with a Floyd Nut and ebony board would be best
                      I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
                      ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
                      Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
                      Blackstar Soloist HT60
                      Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
                      Seymour Duncan 805

Comment

I've got both a M6 and two soloist pros.

The Kahler nut has never been an issue whatsoever for me, both on my M6 and M4. I also like the mini-switches, not a big deal either way. I prefer non-recessed and angled neck to recessed and flat, so the M6 wins for me there. The neck is a smidge thicker on the M6 so the Pro wins there. The ebony board should have been on the M6, but isn't, so that's a big plus for the Pro. All in all, when decide between the two, I grab a Pro over my M6, they just have an overall better feel. I actually prefer my M4 over the M6, but that's another discussion.
                        My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                          You've seen it toejam.. Few years ago, had a whole thread on the build.. Here's the photobucket album. First pics are the finished, rest are the build.. http://s237.photobucket.com/user/war...03196323273434
                          Here's the build thread.. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/100...ates?highlight=
                          Ah, okay. Now I remember! Is there now an ebony board on there or did you just ebonize it?
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Personally, and you all are gonna want to shoot me for saying this, I'd go with a Model 5. Two humbuckers, no mini toggles, and most importantly....here it comes...no shark fins!
                            I really do prefer dot inlays over the sharkfins. I've had em...and each one I had, although great playing and sounding guitars, I sold off. Give me MOP dot inlays ANYDAY!
                            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Oh and I REALLY dig rosewood too
                              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Working...
                              X