Your best J/C for whammying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your best J/C for whammying

If you're a big time wang bar user/abuser like me, what's your go-to J/C ax when ya need to git 'r' done right?

For example, I live and die (stylistically speaking) by the Floyd Rose. In direct proportion to my mania for the locking trem, is my need for specific equipment and set up requirements. Gotta be an OFR or Schaller's lic'd version w/ a big brass block, floating, recessed, with 2 springs on the back and a springy, responsive feel.

This is my go to CS Charvel to get it done. Hands down best ax EVER for the type of Vai/VanHalen/Gillis/Satriani whammying I prefer:

Mid 80's Jackson Dinky.
    Jackson Floyd Rose, do not know which model trem. Its all original (guitar and trem). Its the one with the push in bar, not a screw in. And the locking nuts are the big flat head screwdriver locks.

It WILL NOT go out of tune.

Comment

Now I'm not a heavy trem user
      but my best Wanker is my SDII Reissue

....the wilkinson equiped one

it feels more natural and less forced than warbling around with a Floyd

Edit:
      Though i must add, I swapped the original bar and barrel for a floyd one I had lying around
      Last edited by Nightbat; 11-10-2013, 06:13 PM.
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

oh, my PC-1 for sure. I do all my crazy Vai-style whammy work with that guitar.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

My USA KV2 all day. I string it up and once I stretch the strings out and tune to pitch it stays there until the next string change. I got it in Oct. 2012 and I've literally only tuned it probably fifteen times since.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

My WR1, the OFR is unbeatable.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post

WOW!! This is the coolest Star I have ever seen! Beaut!!

Comment

for a long time my US Fusion with JT-590 has been The Guitar for songs requiring whammy abuse at gigs. But the trans yellow Fusion Plus has recently had the old Takeuchi replaced with a Gotoh and it has beeen a helluva upgrade. Extremely stable, super responsive - I'll be using it when we play out on Friday night.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

My model 5, but only because it's my only one with a floyd.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

My best Charvel for whammy work is now my '06 SD Reissue because I just installed a Floyd Upgrade Trem Stopper. It keeps the bridge stable and parallel to the body no matter what I do short of tuning the guitar too high.

I've had a love/hate relationship with locking trems over the years. When I found the Tremol-No I decided to give them a try again. The Tremol-No is more flexible then the FU Trem Stopper in that it can be set for full range, dive only or no movement at all. After using them for a few years I found I set them to dive only which led me to get the FU Trem Setter because it's specific to my needs. I reduced the number of springs in a guitar last night, from 3 to 2, and the Trem Setter simplified the job significantly. I had it done in about 2 minutes.

I've only got a Trem Stopper in one guitar so far but now that I know I like it, I'm buying them for the rest of my OFR guitars.

Comment

Of my three floyded Jacksons, my '97 pearl white KE1F simply feels the best for trem stuff
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

Pics??? :think:

This is mine... ...Damn I miss her
                        I like black and white guitars

Comment

^^
                          That looks like that weird Gibson Explorer from the 80's. I can't remember what they called it.

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                            ^^
                            That looks like that weird Gibson Explorer from the 80's. I can't remember what they called it.
                            You are correct, it was called an XPL Explorer. This is a one off of that model guitar made in the San Dimas shop in 86
                            I like black and white guitars

Comment

Working...
                            X