Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warrior owners, what pickups are you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior owners, what pickups are you using?

I have a WR1 that has a maple neck, alder wings, diamond plate top, ebony fretboard with a floyd rose. All in all it is a really bright guitar. It has the standard full shred and invader set up. The pickups sound ok as they are, but am just wondering what everyone else is running in theirs? I thought about trying out black winter pickups, but am afraid that they will be too bright in this guitar. Thanks in advance.

Warrior Pro: Invader (b), Hot Rails (n)
    WR1: Invader (b), Full Shred (n).
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
      Warrior Pro: Invader (b), Hot Rails (n)
      WR1: Invader (b), Full Shred (n).
      the warrior pro scale lenght is 24 3/4 or 25.5?

Comment

Originally posted by chispallate View Post
        the warrior pro scale lenght is 24 3/4 or 25.5?
        24.75". I'm still looking for another Warrior Pro so I can put a JB in that and compare the two. The WR1 is 25.5". Despite both having Invaders, the WR1 sounds brighter.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Eric_kv2 View Post
          I have a WR1 that has a maple neck, alder wings, diamond plate top, ebony fretboard with a floyd rose. All in all it is a really bright guitar. It has the standard full shred and invader set up. The pickups sound ok as they are, but am just wondering what everyone else is running in theirs? I thought about trying out black winter pickups, but am afraid that they will be too bright in this guitar. Thanks in advance.
          I'd think the Black Winters will be too bright for you if you think an Invader is bright. Maybe try a 250k pot instead of 500k?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ah..i saw the 1990 catalog and say 25.5...is wrong the catalog lol. thanks for the info
            http://s24.postimg.org/imu23vtk5/image.jpg

Comment

Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking too. The Invader in this guitar isn't too bright, but I was just wondering on how a Black Winter would compare. It sounds like the black winters are for darker instruments like mahogany and rosewood guitars without floyd roses as it will make these guitars brighter.

Comment

I'm actually about to drop a Dimarzio X2N in my WR1...
                Hear the universe scream
                Bleeding from black holes
                Whom horns careless
                And whom God mourns

Comment

EMG-X's in my Custom Warrior, and EMG 81/85 in my WRXMG. I'd like to go passive in both sometime down the road though. Not that they sound bad (if it sounds bad it's probably got more to do with me than the pups haha), but I'd like to see if it's possible to get get them to sound more alive. In a live setting, EMG works great IMO, but they tend to sound a bit dull when recording.
                  https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Good luck in your search. My buddy in a Pantera Tribute had a diamond plate topped Dime Washburn and is constantly changing pickups looking to kill how bright it is. He has 2 others of the same exact guitar without the top and goes with SD Dimebag but it just doesn't cut it in the DP.
                    Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

While not neckthrough, I have an Invader with an A2 in one WRMG, a PATB-2 in another, a PATB-1 in yet another, and I think either a JB or Distortion in the other one (usually I put a small label in the back of the trem cavity indicating which pickups I have in a guitar). Those also have DK2M necks, but at least one is basswood (Invader). I'm pretty sure the others are alder or poplar. I've also got an Alt-8 in my WarAngel, but that's also bolt-on, but with an alder body and maple/ebony neck, so they've all got a fairly bright tone from the woods.

They're also all Floyded (Schaller and OFR).

I think the WarAngel is the only one that's tuned to E, the others go from D-standard to C# standard.

Also not sure what the neck pickups are, but generally I prefer a JB in the neck. I think one might have a 59 and another has a Jazz. I'd have to pull them apart to be sure.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm thinking of ordering a Custom Select Warrior guitar down the road (alder body, ebony fretboard, one humbucker, one volume control).

I'm satisfied with the TB-4 pickup in my Kelly guitars. Thus I wonder whether I should choose the same with the Warrior. Or do you think the 'standart' SH-8 suits better?

By the way, I'm a rhythm guitar player, I don't play leads, therefore I only need a fat tone, but not too distorted.

Comment

I tried four different pup combos in my WR1 before settling on a Custom Custom and a Pearly Gates.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmiceddie View Post
                            I'm thinking of ordering a Custom Select Warrior guitar down the road (alder body, ebony fretboard, one humbucker, one volume control).

I'm satisfied with the TB-4 pickup in my Kelly guitars. Thus I wonder whether I should choose the same with the Warrior. Or do you think the 'standart' SH-8 suits better?

By the way, I'm a rhythm guitar player, I don't play leads, therefore I only need a fat tone, but not too distorted.
                            I'm thinking also to order a Custom Select WR1 with a reversed headstock probably early next year, but correct me if I'm wrong, I thought having just one PUP isn't an option without going full Custom Shop!!!... Because I would really LOOOVE to have single Pups OR H-S on my new American made Warriors without spending an extra thousand or two only on pickup configurations.
                            -Metal wouldn't be the same without Pointy guitars-

Comment

You can do one hum on custom select.

Comment

Working...
                              X