String Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Action

I was thinking about this the other day. I love Charvel guitars and have many friends that do as well. It seems as though they all have them all set up really low to the fret board with smaller gauged strings. I hate this. I set all of my Charvels with 11's and a higher action off the fret board. I LOVE my guitars like this. I guess I do this because I have really big hands with a strong grip. I can still play all the shreddy/thrashy stuff I love without problem.

Every used Charvel I buy comes with super low action and 9 gauge strings or some shit. haha. I don't think I have ever bought a guitar and not sent it straight to my tech for a set up. Luckily I have recently mastered doing a set up on a Floyd equipped axe.

Am I the only one that feels this way? There has to be more of us!!! haha

I have some guitars set with bigger gauge strings and higher action...I.E. My vintage strats and Tele's. I don't use my Strats and Tele's for shredding though. That's what my Jackson's, Kramers and Ibanez Guitars are for. That being said most guys don't like high action and big strings for shredding. You probably are in the minority on that one bro.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I dunno man.....I love some meat and tension to my strings.

Comment

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post
        I dunno man.....I love some meat and tension to my strings.
        While being harder to play for most people I do agree that higher action and a bigger string does sound better. But to each their own.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

My Tele's and Strats have 13's on them.

Comment

Yeah all of my Gibsons and Fenders have 13's!

All of my Charvel/Jacksons have 11's. I tried 12's on a floyd and did not like it. I stand by the idea that bigger strings and higher action sound better. I also understand everyone is different.

Comment

I am a 9-guy. That's just my preference.

But if i was a 0 action guy, i would have kept my Carvin guitars. They had a 1/16" action across all frets.
              Obviously, i don't want it set too high, but they just didn't feel right.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

But if i was a 0 action guy, i would have kept my Carvin guitars. They had a 1/16" action across all frets.

I just googled about action an 1/16 is what stew mac website recommends.. well.. approx.. 1/16 is like .065 and there site recommends .078 on the 6th string.. IMO.. thats too low

my jackson has 10's and to me.. thats the perfect gauge.. my action is set a tad on the high side I guess.. I dont have the right type of straight edge to get a very accurate reading but my action on the 6th string is ~.125.. I might lower it a tad .. maby..dunno.. it feels right even if it looks a tad high
                GEAR:
                #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
                #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
                #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
                #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
                #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                AMPS:
                1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
                ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

If I can snuggly fit a .25 cent coin between the high and low stings at the 12th fret, unfretted, I'm good.
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Jackson factory spec is fine for me and it's 1.5 millimeter. I am pretty sure that's 1/16th of an inch. This is the setup I like for shredding but my strats and tele's have much higher action. I also use .009's on my Jacksons.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

So you didn't keep your Carvins because you couldn't raise the action yourself?
                      Lol
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        So you didn't keep your Carvins because you couldn't raise the action yourself?
                        Lol
                        I thought that statement was funny as well.

Comment

I always liked D'Addario 9-42. Tried some DR 10-46 on one of my Ibanez RGT42's (fixed bridge) and loved the tone but didn't like the extra tension. So tried hybrid D-Addario 9-46 sets. Didn't like the thin sound of the treble strings.. Gonna swap to 10-46's over time and just deal with the tension. I don't shred anyway. But I do like action as low as I can get it without tons of buzz. I have lots of guitars and everytime I buy strings, I get a 10 pack. Getting pricey buying sets I'm not using.. Have about 30 sets right now I don't know if I'll ever use.. lol
                          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I use 9's and 10's. I like low action. Don't know what the actual measurement is, but mine are set lower than factory. I can fit a green tortex pick (.88mm) under the strings at 24, and it stays in place from friction. Don't have anything thinner.
                            "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I just tweaked my action a bit as I thought it was a tad on the high side.. action at the 12th fret is from ~2.5mm to ~2mm...minimal buzzing if any so its all good..
                              GEAR:
                              #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
                              #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
                              #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
                              #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
                              #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                              AMPS:
                              1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
                              ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

Working...
                              X