No announcement yet.

String Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using Dean Markley 9's for over 30's years and love them. I've put cobalt 9s on my frankenstein and like the tone but it's lacking the highs it used to have the markelys. I set my action at 4-5/64ths on the bass side and 3-4/64ths on the treble side depending on the guitar.
    Gil

Comment

SIT or EB for me. Never DiAddario or Fender Bullets! Urgh!
      www.vvforums.com

Comment

I am a big fan of larger string gauges.
        I have 11-52 on a Schecter Ultra, and one Jackson Fusion that goes back and forth between standard and 1/2 step down.
        But my Fusion HH with the PRO Fusion neck has 12-56. And my maple Dinky reverse have 13-60.
        They sound great. And the floyds all do well. The Dinky is the only one I left floating in dropped B tuning.
        An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
        A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

Kind of a newb question. Heavier gauge strings=more tension. So my question is when bending a string, would you have to bend less to achieve the same note? I have 9's on all my guitars but after reading think I would like to try 10's or even 11's if I could bend the string less.

Comment

No, it's just harder to bend.

I used Blue Steel for years until the quality went down the shitter. Had been swapping around for some time trying to find something I like.

Now I use Elixirs, 9-42 in E on most, one has 10-46 in Eb & another in C but can't remember what gauge is on there, doh.

My action would be considered insanely high by most, just can't seem to stop fret buzz, must be time for some fret leveling.

Comment

Or a new nut..
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

and/or a truss rod adjustment..
                GEAR:
                #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
                #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
                #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
                #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
                #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                AMPS:
                1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
                ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

Or weird magnetic force that brings the metal frets and strings together.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                    Or weird magnetic force that brings the metal frets and strings together.
                    1st thing i thought of.. "We call the pickups" or perhaps robot fingers.. LOL
                    GEAR:
                    #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
                    #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
                    #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
                    #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
                    #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                    AMPS:
                    1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
                    ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

I've used to use Dean Markley blue steel 9-42 back in the mid '90s on all electric guitars.

As for action just enough so when doing any bending the notes are clear. No fret noize or anything like that.

In the mid '90s I tried to install 10-46 on my ESP KH strat and the tremelo went upwards. Pretty soon I was rid of that ESP but stuck with 10-46 on my Strat and RR2772. I use Ernie Ball for RR2772 and Fender Bullet for my Strat as it keeps it tune better but they do not last more than a month in general.
                      What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

I use GHS progressives, 10's, they are super stiff. I hate anything lower than a 10 set. So you are not alone, but my action is low as low can be, but no problems.

Comment

I just strung up my newly facelifted Model 3 with 12's and had one HELL of a time getting the bastard in tune. It was a battle with the raising of the rear of the Kahler 2700 each time I got a string in tune. I FINALLY got it after fucking with the springs (put three on and I usually only use two). Had to crank the spring claw screws nearly to the body for it to finally take. Once this set wears out, its back to .009's for that guitar!

My Axl 1216 Jr is getting strung with 13's. One Agile is going to have 12's the other two will have 10's. My Squier strat is getting 10's. My Xaviere tele copy has 12's. My Fender strat (LOVE THAT GUITAR!) has 10's. All of my Charvels have or will have 9's.

My action on all of my guitars ranges from med high to holy crap that's low!
                          I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42. If I can;t find those, Fender strings in the same gauge are fine.

Back in the 80's I used Ernie Ball 5150's and thought they were the shit.
                            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                            X