Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone know for sure what pickup VH used in his B/W charvel strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone know for sure what pickup VH used in his B/W charvel strat?

some say it was a stock gibson PAF,others say it was a custom wind? anyone know for sure? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: anyone know for sure what pickup VH used in his B/W charvel strat?

EVH knows [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But he ain't talking - especially since he had half his tongue cut out from cancer [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

He used OLD Gibson PAFs in those days...I remember him RUINING a few trying to wax-pot them in a coffee can-full of MOLTEN parafin, and having it TOO HOT !!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...a guy on E-Bay about a year ago had a pickup that had to be removed from one of Eddie's guitars RIGHT BEFORE the "Hide Your Sheep" Tour, because a mis-placed screw put in by Ed had penetrated the pigtail, and it was shouting out...He got it from the shop owner where he was apprenticing on a bet, and put it on "the Bay" for $1.00 with NO RESERVE...It pulled OVER $500.00, as I remember, and WAS an old PAF...Eddie was playing a white Les Paul before that...I have a copy of the RECIEPT where Jan Van Halen {Eddie and Alex's DAD} had BOUGHT the Les Paul, and the original drum kit, and had FININCED part of it...In THOSE days, EDDIE was the DRUMMER, and ALEX was the GUITAR PLAYER...Eddie had a paper route to help PAY for the drums, and Alex would SNEAK and play the drums when Ed was out delivering papers...When Alex FINALLY copped to that fact, and could play "Wipe Out" BETTER than Eddie, they decided to TRADE INSTRUMENTS...and the REST - as they say - is HISTORY !!!! }

...and the B/W WASN'T a TECHNICALLY a CHARVEL...It WAS a body from Lynn Ellsworth { a PRE-Boogie Body}...THAT was BEFORE Lynn and Wayne FORMED "Charvel Manufacturing" at the old Azuza address...

[ September 15, 2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Doc Dryer ]

Comment

Hey Doc, do you know EVH?

Matt
        Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

I've met him a time or two...But he WASN'T in the BEST MENTAL STATE at those times - Old Uncle Jack Daniels was talkin' .... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

...I was an FM DJ from '70 to '86, and they THOUGHT in those days, that to COMPENSATE for the P1SS-POOR PAY they gave you, that T-Shirts, albums, and 2 backstage passes to EVERY SHOW that hit town made up for it...

{MAN...I HATE this "time to edit your message has passed" NONSENSE...There are a MILLION TYPOS in the above post I made !!!!!!

...BY THE WAY, that PAF PICKUP was NICK-NAMED "Old Shemp" or "Old Shep" as I remember...

Comment

Doc, what guitars did he put his custom-wound Seymour Duncans in? His Kramers?

Comment

Cool memories, Doc!
              Jan VH (and at one time, Alex) was in my Mom's band back in the 70s (The Internationals).

I got to meet the whole family back in '79 when they were still living in the old square house in Pasadena. I was more into cars back then, and even though Eddie showed me his Bedroom Full o Guitars, I found it more interesting that he drove a Ford Pinto! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I think Alex had a Peugot at the time.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

What guitars did he have Ron?

Comment

I heard Eddie was using a Gibson pickup (PAF) with Dimarzio Super D magnets in it and had some extra windings put on for a bit more bite. But only Eddie knows for sure, But he may have forgotten by now.
                  Gil

Comment

That reminds me...our last bass player was young and poor, a combination which seems to go hand in hand...anyway, he had a decent MIJ Fender Jazz bass which he loved...almost cried when he put a little tiny nick in the headstock...I told him to be a man and just play the damn thing....blah blah...anyway....he was getting some squealing, feedback type probs at volume with the standard pickups so I told him about how pickups can be potted, and as he didn't have much money he said he'd give it a try before eventually getting better pu's....anyway, turns out he did it himself in his mom's kitchen while the pickups were still wired into the bass, just hanging by their wires over the hot pot of wax, an awkward position to say the least...we couldn't beleive it, but it worked and was the easist way for him to do it without paying someone to put them back in....kudos to him cause I wouldn't do it to my prize axe...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                      What guitars did he have Ron?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Everything that was on the back of the album
                      (VH or VH2?)

I remember being most interested in a weird-shaped yellow one - that's the only one I picked up and "tried out". [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Doc or Tommy, you probably know which one I'm talking about.

Comment

Found it!

His bedroom looked like that, except with 3x the guitars!

The axe I referred to is the one to Ed's right.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

That's one of Wayne Charvel's - called a "Hydra"...

...He STILL makes that body shape, too...

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dryer:
                            He used OLD Gibson PAFs in those days...I remember him RUINING a few trying to wax-pot them in a coffee can-full of MOLTEN parafin, and having it TOO HOT !!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...a guy on E-Bay about a year ago had a pickup that had to be removed from one of Eddie's guitars RIGHT BEFORE the "Hide Your Sheep" Tour, because a mis-placed screw put in by Ed had penetrated the pigtail, and it was shouting out...He got it from the shop owner where he was apprenticing on a bet, and put it on "the Bay" for $1.00 with NO RESERVE...It pulled OVER $500.00, as I remember, and WAS an old PAF...Eddie was playing a white Les Paul before that...I have a copy of the RECIEPT where Jan Van Halen {Eddie and Alex's DAD} had BOUGHT the Les Paul, and the original drum kit, and had FININCED part of it...In THOSE days, EDDIE was the DRUMMER, and ALEX was the GUITAR PLAYER...Eddie had a paper route to help PAY for the drums, and Alex would SNEAK and play the drums when Ed was out delivering papers...When Alex FINALLY copped to that fact, and could play "Wipe Out" BETTER than Eddie, they decided to TRADE INSTRUMENTS...and the REST - as they say - is HISTORY !!!! }

...and the B/W WASN'T a TECHNICALLY a CHARVEL...It WAS a body from Lynn Ellsworth { a PRE-Boogie Body}...THAT was BEFORE Lynn and Wayne FORMED "Charvel Manufacturing" at the old Azuza address...
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">he used a stock gibby P.A.F on the first record? DAMN that thing smokes! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                            I know he used a self rewound dimarzio with a PAF magnet on the ibanez destroyer on all the tracks with no whammy bar,but eruption was done with his B/W boogie bodies/charvel mutt and it was loaded with a stock P.A.F?
                            I wonder why he went to the hotter types like the newer custom wound dimarzio's and wolf pups
                            [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X