Bad news guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bad news guys

Chuck, you're right. I've never played an SD Charvel. I'll tell you right now I'll hate the vast majority of them, but that's just because I hate full sized strat bodies. Star bodies on the other hand... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] My problem is with the guys that insist everything made after X date is crap. One guy won't buy anything made after '82, another won't touch anything before '87 or after '92... ARHG! Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but what's the point in being so damn irrational? Some of the guys on this forum are worse than the damn FENDER and GIBSON collectors, fer f**k's sake! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] There's going to be good guitars and s**tty guitars from EVERY era from EVERY manufacturer. There's no sense eliminating so many GOOD guitars right off the top.

Newc: Ah, but here's a distinction that many don't make. Building an electric guitar is BARELY luthiery. The body is completely solid. It's not like a jazz guitar where the top must be tuned, it's just a chunk of wood. On an electric guitar, I'll take 90% CNC machined any day of the week. Higher quality at a lower price is always a good thing. The only point where I feel a skilled hand is neccesary on an electric guitar is in the fretwork. Everything else can be as computer generated as you can get it for all I care.

But as I've said before, I'm a damn weirdo. I don't believe in external mojo. I believe mojo is what you get when you find a guitar that feels right and works for your style. It's not a name, or a year. It's a FEELING. It could be a $3000 custom shop or it could be a $200 used Performer. To me a guitar doesn't have mojo because it was mae in a specific time or place. The important thing, the ONLY important thing, is that it just WORKS.

Comment

black mariah, the latter Jacksons were great guitars but there is also a stylistic difference in the shapes and the headstocks that just don't satisfy some of us. Personally I think Jackson got there act together again in the 90's after the metal fad crashed and they were building again for die hard real musicians and not a bunch of accountants and dentists to be who were caught up in a craze.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
        There's going to be good guitars and s**tty guitars from EVERY era from EVERY manufacturer. There's no sense eliminating so many GOOD guitars right off the top.

But as I've said before, I'm a damn weirdo. I don't believe in external mojo. I believe mojo is what you get when you find a guitar that feels right and works for your style. It's not a name, or a year. It's a FEELING. It could be a $3000 custom shop or it could be a $200 used Performer. To me a guitar doesn't have mojo because it was made in a specific time or place. The important thing, the ONLY important thing, is that it just WORKS.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMEN to EVERY word. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Boxcar Willie, the green bengal lynch is gone, it was extremely heavy and very bright, great neck though.

Comment

I find it interesting that the people who are the most vocal about dissing the whole San Dimas thing are people who, I would wager, never played them. Easily faked? Maybe visually.
          For me, the San Dimas Strathead lust stems from my hero's guitars from my youth. The fact that there are some killer guitars amongst them dosen't hurt either!

[ September 18, 2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Chuckracer ]

Comment

"heroes from your youth"????
            Who the hell was playing these things in the 60's? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Actually I've owned both periods .. I love my san dimas guitars and I've had some killer ontario guitars as well.. I think Ralphs point was the best..
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B:
                "heroes from your youth"????
                Who the hell was playing these things in the 60's? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Oh ..I needed that ..thanks
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Kev, you're welcome...I'll be performing here all week. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

You just made the opposition's point, Chuck; you lust after the SDs because they're your heroes' guitars, and because there are killer guitars AMONGST them. In other words, all custom or not, there is a wide variation of quality between individual specimens. I had occasion to play plenty of SD and Ontario guitars living in LA through most of the 80s and all of the 90s, and there are some sublime guitars fron the SD era, just as there are some that are just okay. You can say the same thing about the Ontario
                    era guitars, but if you're invested in the San Dimas (Glendora) mojo, fine for you. It's the SD crowd dismissing all that is NOT SD as inferior that's sorta aggravating. Dismissing Corona-made guitars before the first one comes out is
                    premature. Yes it's the end of an era, and the start of a new one, but no one yet knows what that era will bring.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Well I recently had the chance to see, inspect and play a '57 Fender strat copy from the Fender Custom shop. The guy ordered it kept it for a while and had to move it for personal reasons.

This was one of the finest guitars I have ever seen. The quality was amazing to the smallest detail. I didnt have a chance to actually plug it in but it felt really good. The finish was flawless. white pickguard white pickups. It was balanced perfectly. The new re-issue bullseye was flawless as well. I tried out a bunch of USA jacksons at GC when I drop by for my monthly. They were definitely not the quality that they were years ago. missing filler in areas, you could see there was dust under the clear coat.

Its hit or miss no matter what.

anyway back to the Fender - Not being a Fender guy at all I was really impressed. I am sure that when the jackson facility moves to Corona that the quality will be as high if not higher.

More importantly the people on this board think they should be involved in Fender's intercompany business. Fender own's Fender not you. They now own Jackson/Charvel not you. Fender at no time is obligated to tell you/us anything about their management choices.

If you don't like it don't buy one. [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] As matter of principle you need to sell off all your charvels and jacksons immediately. Let me know I am in the market. You cant possibly retain any of these now that the name has been "tarnished". Let me know I'm buying. Don't worry Ibanez has a nice line you can all buy,. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

rvm, are you talkin about the charvel reissue bullseye? that was made before the buyout, i believe.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Just to clear something up, none of the Fender guitars we make are anywhere close to 90% CNC. The bodies and necks are cut on a machine, but everything else is done by hand - the sanding, shaping, contours, fretwork, position markers, truss rod, finish, buffing, assembly, etc. - all done by hand.

Not a poke at any of you, but I personally hate the image of a chunk of wood going on to a converyor belt on one end, and coming out a guitar on the other ... it just doesn't work that way.

That's all.

M-

Comment

you are a fine human being morgan. well said.

atomic of loxley
                            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Well I thought that was pretty much what I said .. it's funny even where I work people don't understand what CNC really is .. they think you just throuw a part in the machine and it comes out completely finished ..

Comment

Hey doesn't all that cutting oil from the CNC soak into the wood and ruin it?

][:o)#
                                We must!
                                We must!
                                We must increase the bust!
                                The bigger the better!
                                The tighter the sweater!
                                The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Working...
                                X