Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bad news guys

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No oil used on wood ..no need to ..they do have cold air guns thoough or vacumes to clear the sawdust .. the point of oil in metal is that friction causes heat and it causes tools to break down quickly, aluminum welds up if it isn't kept cool etc .. not really needed in wood

[ September 19, 2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: KMaynard ]
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Ok. But I better not notice any burn marks on the new stuff or somebody is going to hear about it. lol
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

CNC with wood is a great thing. No lubricants, and yes, a vacuum...it's needed to keep debris away from the tool contact point and to keep friction down to a minimum. I have a friend that produces high quality stock sets with fancy wood, and CNC is definitely the way to go.

Of course, ANY CNC shaped wood product needs to be hand sanded to remove tool marks, and wood selection isn't really going to be much different either way. It's the BUYER who orders wood. The people who cut the bodies just cut what they get, and even with the old "SD" Custom Select choice of wood (which I think is BS, cause you know Charvel had money problems, so I wouldn't doubt the guitars that they built in Glendora, many times, was using the most cost effective wood he could get in quantity, except for the rare trans-top special order, so that whole "wood seletcion mojo" is just a BS thing that just isn't true... you think that he handpicked every piece of wood for his orders, or that they threw anything out that didn't sound right when he knocked on it? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And you think Juan Valdez handpicks every coffee bean? [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ).. Anyways, WOOD IS WOOD, they don't hand pick each piece they bought, and NEVER did, sometimes Wayne and Grover got in really good batches, and sometimes they got really crappy batches, and tell you what, they would use it to make their guitars, regardless.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Pick up a USA Hamer and you'll see what good wood selection really is. They DO handpick every piece of wood they get in, and they reject quite a bit that's actually good but just not up to their standards. Then again, Hamer only makes like, what, 13 guitars a week or something?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thats where things change, quantity. When production increases 10 fold and your wood purchasing is stepped up to accomodate, often previously undesirable wood is accepted just to meet the orders.

Ofcourse Fender has no problem with this issue being such a large buyer (I read that Fender is the second leading purchaser of alder in the US).

[ September 19, 2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Makes sense. Wonder who's the 1st? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Good point, Jim.

Comment

Here is something of interest:

Small sawmills want state to loosen Weyerhaeuser's hold

I believe this was posted during the poplar vs. alder debate.

[ September 19, 2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what exactly were the issues the JCF guitars had?

Matt
                    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Originally posted by mattsmusiccenter:
                      Just out of curiosity, what exactly were the issues the JCF guitars had?

Matt
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The one I saw had a paint bubble on one wing, and needed a little filler around a couple of the inlays, from what I remember.

Comment

My JCF was/is nearly perfect except for a chip or a sand-through (not sure how it happened) on the tip of the long wing. The one cosmetic defect aside, it's an outstanding instrument.

The JCF guitars got a major reaming from the new owners (myself included) when they were delivered. I'm not sure it was entirely deserved. Then again, mine is the only one I've seen. Maybe others were far worse.
                        This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

yes I know... forgot to mention the JCF that everyone hated in contrast to the bulleseye that RULES. its hit or miss.

I like those Sully guitars !... and of course your Young ONes " Vivian" icon

Comment

yeah, it sure seemed to be hit and miss, and that's a great example. however, not all of the jcf guitars had issues, but yes, some did (mine being one of em). i will say though, that it played great and sounded awesome. i'd love to get one of those bullseyes someday...

thanks for the kind words, too!

sully
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I had a '58 Strat until recently and if I had to choose between it and a CS '54 or '56 NOS Strat to play, never to be sold..I would choose the CS guitar. Now to blow some peoples minds....The Fender Custom Shop Time Machine Series guitars are NOT CNC machined (according to former CS maganer Mike Eldred).

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                                rvm, are you talkin about the charvel reissue bullseye? that was made before the buyout, i believe.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Hmmm. I thought the finishing touches happened post-buyout. Can't recall for certain. I'll try to remember to check the hangtag on mine when I'm home.

...Oh cr*p. I'm "counting screws", ain't I?

Comment

Working...
                                X