Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad news guys

Originally posted by Black Mask:
    The Fender Custom Shop actually makes pretty high-quality stuff, from what I've seen. How damaging could the move from Ontario to Corona possibly be?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, look at Fender Custom Shop prices. That's the only concern I have... They'll start to ask themselves, "why are Custom Jacksons so much cheaper, when they're mainly neck thru, using as good or better components, and have more intensive hand labor"...

And I assume that Dan Lawrence won't be the guy they send most of the custom graphics too... how much farther/closer is GMW to Corona?

Definitely a new era in Jacksons now. For the better or for the worse, it's not so clear as it was a few months go, at least for me.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Newc, I didn't say anything here because I didn't know how reliable that info was. I waited for Custom Shop employees to confirm or deny the info that was posted, but they never responded and I forgot about it after a few weeks of no replies were made. This thread reminded me of the post I saw.

I understand the parts issues with early Ontario guitars, but there is no reason to worry about that with Fender seeing they distribute original Floyds.

Comment

-Corona is in Cali - ah, I keep thinking they moved the whole thing to Arizona - it's my own personal Ft Worth=Japan dealy [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

-Cheaper parts when they moved to Ontario: Well, as I've said countless times, using lower-grade, easily-replaceable hardware like trems and pickups means (usually) costs are reduced yet build quality remains high. This means that street prices fall in the affordable range for those who work real and crappy-paying jobs for a living. Pickups are as individual as players - some want Duncans, some want EMGs, some want DiMarzio. Give everyone house-brand cheapies and let them buy the brand they want. Given the stranglehold Kramer had on the Floyd Rose, and the increasing dislike of Kahlers, the best move was to go with licensed trems which are cheaper on the whole than OFRs - Jackson pays the license fee to Kramer for the Floyd Rose, and then pays Schaller to make them. Schaller also pays a license fee to Kramer to make their own logoed version of the OFR and sell them to individuals and other makers. Everyone makes money, and Jackson spends less for good trems, which means Joe Public spends less for a USA Jackson, which means Jackson sells more USA Jacksons.
        Trem technology advances as artists and engineers come together and there are a slew of variants to choose from.

-USA Charvels means FMIC can do no wrong. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] Let's stop this closed-mindedness here and now. This is the carrot in front of the donkey's nose that is pulling the cart over a cliff. Get the stars out of your eyes before you hand over the entire Jackson/Charvel history to the competition. USA Charvels made alongside USA rear-loaded, Floyded, graphic'd Fender Strats? Let's cut to the chase and call them Charvel logoed Fender Strats.

-The info wasn't official. This is where FMIC's policy is going to have to change. Information like this is not to be concealed until after the ink is dry. This is not a decision to be made by someone engaged in active competition with their own subsidiary. This is called monopolizing the market, and WILL result invariably in legal entanglements (see Microsoft and ClearChannel for reference).

-Message to FMIC: "Watch what you do with Jackson/Charvel - if you absorb them and/or kill them off, the drums will shake the castle walls to the ground"

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
          Ya, but I didn`t think it would come to fruition and reality.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lesson learned: Believe in RacerX!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ontario and Corona aren't that far apart, both in the "Inland Empire" and similar if not identical climates.
            Face it, good or bad... things change. Corporations do what is in their (or the stockholders) best interest. Only time will tell whether or not this was a wise decision.
            Rock on in spite of it.. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Apparently only about 20 miles difference... But 20 miles farther away from San Dimas. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Fender in Corona is only about ten miles from the Jackson shop in Ontario. Not much difference for the workers if Fender keeps them all.

JMO Dana

This isn't Southern. Cal. anymore. It's Northern Mexico [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

What? Fender owns Jackson/Charvel?!? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sí, California Meridional es en gran parte hispana. ¿Ahora dónde está mi cerveza?
                    [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ September 15, 2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Swillmaster ]

Comment

Corona is good beer! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Glendora to Ontario: 19 miles
                        Glendora to Corona: 29 miles
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I can see the resale value of the 'ol jap Charvels and Jacksons increasing by the minute!! (not to mention the USA models!) [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Just for clearity sake. Fender HQ is in Scottsdale AZ but the factory is in Corona Cali.
                            I heard something to this effect from our Fender rep at work just after the buy out last year. He didn't let on to whether or not they'll shut down the Japanese plant. But with the Japanese market and specail items for that market only it would be a bad idea for them to do so. Which models are going to be made in Mexico is anybodies guess. But I would asses they would make the entry lrvrl and lower and "X" series (ie DXMG) in Mexico and the rest of the imports in Japan.
                            AS long as Tim and Mike are in the deal what could go wrong?
                            Gil

Comment

I wondered how long it was gonna be before this leaked out...... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                              (I thought Sid would do it, Just didnt know how......)

[ September 15, 2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: toddstaples ]
                              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Shut down the Japan plant? I thought that "plant" was Chu Shin Gakki, and builds for many brands other than Jackson.

[ September 15, 2003, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Working...
                                X