Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bad news guys

Originally posted by 81Dimarzio:
    There isn't any difference from what I've seen so far, but as time has shown us Fender will do everything they can to cut corners. That and if their Custom Shop gets involved with the Jackson's in any way, which they will in time you can hang it up. I have people sending me Fender Custom Shop guitars all the time for work becuase they are unhappy with the quality. Mostly necks and frets, but electronics are going down hill too lately. All of their Imports are very cheap now. As for the run of the mill USA made they are not much different than MIM models. Think about who is making them.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bingo! Couldn't have said it any better.

It's like another JCF member said to me once:

"Which would you rather have? A Fender made in Mexico by Mexicans or a Fender made in the USA by Mexicans"??? What's the difference? The bodies for both are made in the same place.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:
        Bingo! Couldn't have said it any better.

It's like another JCF member said to me once:

"Which would you rather have? A Fender made in Mexico by Mexicans or a Fender made in the USA by Mexicans"??? What's the difference? The bodies for both are made in the same place.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That has actually changed in recent times. Mexico has been producing bodies for its own factory since the spring of this year. I can see the change in the outline in the new bodies. The upper cutaway is a little flatter (less curvy) than the Corona shaped bodies. However, at this moment, the Corona woodshop still produces the necks for the Mexico factory. I don't know if they plan on changing that down the road as well. Another factor to consider when you compare USA/Mexico versions is that most Mexico versions use Ping hardware whereas the USA models use inhouse, Gotoh, and Schaller made hardware. Some high end Mexico models are blurring that line these days. It started a few years ago when they started using CTS pots in the Mexico guitars and now some high end Mexico guitars come with some USA Fender hardware.

Comment

There is an excellent British magazine called The Guitar and a month or two back they did a review of all the Fender strats in the current lineup. The reviewer was left saying that the MIM 62 reissue had a better feel and mojo than the custom shop relic model of the same vintage. I always thought those relic models were a joke and a goof on consumers who would want to buy a guitar that already simulated that the owner actually played the damn thing or even worse actually paracticed on it. I bet there is an asshole out there right now who refuses to let anybody play his relic guitar so they don't scratch up the factory relicing. Very sad [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Chris, I am not sh!tting you, I once saw a '56 relic Strat in Musician Friends "scratch and dent" sale!

[ September 28, 2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Hello to the JCF! Newbie here. I am actually a hardcore Tom Anderson player. However, I grew up in the eighties, and have always loved Charvel (lessons from Mark St. John before KISS and when he had the yellow Jackson strat w/ Grover's handwritten logo, strat head). Anyway, I am considering ordering a custom stop Charvel.

Questions:
              1. I am used to extremely high quality guitars. Does the Custom Shop still deliver on the build quality? (given the move to FCS)
              2. What's the turnaround time?
              3. Are all options, no matter how crazy, still offered? or are there restrictions due to the Fender ownership?

Hey sorry if some of these questions are redundant. Like I said I'm an Anderson player.

thanks.
              Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by eddyrox:
                Hello to the JCF! Newbie here. I am actually a hardcore Tom Anderson player. However, I grew up in the eighties, and have always loved Charvel (lessons from Mark St. John before KISS and when he had the yellow Jackson strat w/ Grover's handwritten logo, strat head). Anyway, I am considering ordering a custom stop Charvel.

Questions:
                1. I am used to extremely high quality guitars. Does the Custom Shop still deliver on the build quality? (given the move to FCS)
                2. What's the turnaround time?
                3. Are all options, no matter how crazy, still offered? or are there restrictions due to the Fender ownership?

Hey sorry if some of these questions are redundant. Like I said I'm an Anderson player.

thanks.
                Mike.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Should have posted a new thread...

Anyway, as far as I know, the guys who made the Jacksons pre-Fender are the same good people making the Jacksons now. A custom should take 8-12 months; Fender I think actually improved Jackson in this respect. Restrictions I believe are that the body design can't be a rip off of another company's (ala Y2KV) and custom graphics have to be your own work...they can't be ripped off of copyrights.

Comment

ahh... Grasshoppa...thank you for the information. yeah..should've started a new thread [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X