Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Jackson, took me 30 years!

Greetings,
    New guy checking in here, hoping to learn and share as much as I can here.
    I have been wanting a Jackson since the mid 80's when I started playing guitar in high school.
    My grandmother took me to an estate sale one afternoon and bought me a white Hondo strat copy and little Peavey amp.
    I never took lessons but just started playing and learning from friends. When I started college I was playing and learning a lot from some of the guys in the dorm. EVH and Metallica were very popular back then.
    In the summer of 1987 I saved up some money working all summer to by a guitar. I wanted a USA Jackson so bad but couldn't afford the $1000+ price of admission. Used ones were hard to come by with no internet/ebay.
    I went to the House Of Guitars in Rochester NY with my savings hoping that by some miracle I might acquire one. I looked, I played, I fell in love but simply didn't have the cash.
    I ended up getting a standard 1984 Gibson Explorer in black. It was in mint condition and sounded great with the original dirty finger pickups, but I had no clue at the time.
    Played through college and afterwards always had a house mate who played but I don't feel like I ever progressed much. Once I moved into an apartment, got married, and started a career the guitar got left in the closet. The amps were sold off once I discovered ebay as they were just taking up space and weren't used in many years.
    After not playing for almost 20 years I saw something about Rocksmith 2014 when it was launching and the session mode intrigued me. At the same time I was being bugged to give xmas gift ideas, so I put it on my list.
    I quickly got back into playing and since I now can afford it I have come down with a mild to serious case of GAS. The property I bought 7 years ago had a recording studio built in a separate building by the previous owner. I had used it as a man cave and office but in the last 4 months I have been converting back to a studio. Mostly by buying gear, who would have thought cables cost so much!
    In March I bought my first Jackson. After looking for a while I found a DKXT about 5 miles from me in great shape for a steal. While I really wanted a USA model this one was a great deal and I think it was a good way to pop my JC cherry.
    I love the guitar and it is wonderfully playable, it has definitely improved my technique. However, it doesn't sound as good as my Explorer.
    After searching and bidding on lots of guitars I finally settled on a cabo blue SL2HT and made sure I won the auction. It is currently in transit and I am very excited to get it. I am hoping it combines the awesome play-ability of my DKXT with the great sound of my Explorer. I guess there's only one way to find out.
    Here is my current setup. I mostly use a GT-8 through an older MIJ Roland JC-120. I have a Peavey ValveKing head with Marshall cab that I am selling tomorrow. I also have the 1985 Lead 12 in the pic and few other Peavey and Fender SS amps that have been the result of my recent GAS attack.
    Anyway, sorry for the wall of text but this seems like a great place to grow and learn and here is the obligatory gear pic...many more to come.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	gear.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	2452467

Here is the one I have on the way. Supposedly new unplayed condition.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2452468
    Last edited by Catharpin; 05-02-2014, 11:13 AM. Reason: speeellling

Nice story. You're way more patient than me! I think I saw that blue jackson on ebay and I jizzed in my pants. I'm glad you got it! I'm sure it's going to be an awesome guitar.

Comment

I upgraded from a DKMGT to a SL2HT a few years ago and I clearly remember my initial thought as I lifted the guitar out of the case for the first time and held it in my hands: "This feels like a top shelf guitar".
      You'll notice the speed neck on the Dinky has smaller dimensions and flatter back than the standard neck on the Soloist...if I'm not mistaken. Best of luck.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Nice guitars. I got my first MIK Jackson about 10yrs back but have been a Charvel fanboy since I bought my '88 Model 6 new back in 1989.
        Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Welcome & congrats on nailing a USA, I've not been so lucky yet.

You'll definitely learn heaps about our beloved Jacksons & Charvels here, these guys know their stuff & looking through the pics makes me all wobbly in the knees.

Enjoy your time here mate, you're now part of the family.

Comment

Welcome, that blue looks killer
            Jackson KV2
            Jackson KE1T
            Jackson KE1F
            Jackson SL1

Comment

cool stuff , for more then 2 decades ive been a charvel / jackson player ! always nice to see a jackson being wailed on , cioa , see ya , alz / 2013 30 axes left 1 sold , so alot wanna get more , ok , its all so fun ,

Comment

I would love to get a trans finish SL2HT to go with my trans blue RR1T. One day!

Sweet JC-120. I used to play through a borrowed one that belonged to a friend back in the late 80's. The chorus in those amps still makes me visibly moist.

Welcome to the board.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

you will love it wayyyyy more than the dkxt. swapping pickups in the dkxt will help its sound a lil

Comment

Great score, Brah, and welcome aboard. I've bought a few pieces of gear at the House of Guitars myself!

Comment

Beautiful score! Gorgeous flame AND string thru.....just my style these days! Love it! Congrats.......
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I am glad I found this place, I really like the vibe on this board.

Comment

Better late than never.

Looks very cool, congratz and welcome to JCF!
                          What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

Ahh yes the HOG in Rochester NY how I spent much of my youth destroying those "worthless pointies" in the 90s. Great to have ya here
                            Haters gonna hate
                            Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Welcome aboard and enjoy owning/playing/looking at an USA Jackson. They are a pleasure
                              I like black and white guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X