Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion HH pickup advice J92c vs L500L

Hi all,
    I have owned a fusion HH red mahogany since 1996 and was my main axe for years. Back in 2004 I wanted to change things up and put a bill&becky L500L in bridge and L500C in neck. I wanted the 500c to give the neck a more single coil feel as I found the original J50n a bit muddy. Shortly after I put the Jackson in storage and used a custom shop Washburn les Paul style guitar.
    I have re-discovered the love of my Jackson. Being years since the stock pickups were in it, how will the fusion hh sound compared to my l500s.

Original pickups J50n and J92c vs
    current pickups L500c and L500L

I am thinking of putting the stock ups back in, but I remember the bridge pickup being a bit muddy for chugging and chords but could be due to the mahogany body of the fusion.

Any advice from experienced Jackson owners would be much appreciated. Cheers

Picture of fusion hh with L500s
    Last edited by raf; 05-10-2014, 06:04 PM. Reason: Added picture link

You could check out the Lace Music. They make some fine pickups.
    Dually pickups would probably work in the neck and a Hemi Or Bill Kelliher in the bridge. I am partial to Lace and anaother company called APC Pickups. They are both similar tech.
    I have had all but one of my guitars loaded with APC at one time or another.
    I tried the Seymour Duncan Blackouts and Mustaines lately to.
    The Mustaine is close but not quite perfect.
    I loved my APC pickups until I heard the Lace Hemi's and Finger Burners. Then the Bill Kelliher sigmature just nailed what I have been looking for on my HH.
    I LOVE these pickups as a set and the Finger Burners almost as much. Depends on the guitar.
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
    A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

Originally posted by raf View Post
      Any advice from experienced Jackson owners would be much appreciated. Cheers
      Since every guitar and rig is different, I'd say try the original pickups and see if it sounds better. Maybe your ears have changed over the years.

Comment

Cheers DonP, common sense advice.

I was partially lusting over putting the guitar back to stock. I think Gary Moore always used "stock off the shelf guitars/pickups" and he had some great tones over the years.
        I will have to put the stock pickups back in and try it out.

BTW were the J92C pickups decent stock pickups?

Comment

Hi there,

I had a J-92C in a lightweight Japanese Dinky with a basswood body, and liked it a lot. I remember it was thick and punchy without being over the top. I also had a J-50n in another Fusion, and it was fine, too. So, to answer your question, both the J92c and the J50n are decent pickups in my honest opinion. However, I don't think it's a good idea to put them back into a guitar they didn't match. If the Bill&Becky's didn't quite tickle your pickle either, I'd just recommend getting a pair of Duncans. Custom+59 or a pair of Full Shreds maybe?

Comment

Working...
          X