Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History question

If I have this right....

Jackson moved (or started to move) from San Dimas/Glendora to Ontario. '86-ish
    The plates from San Dimas say San Dimas. What do the Ontario plates say?

Also, while on the subject:
    *The move of factories, is associated with the deal with IMC?
    *Jackson TM vs Jackson R, also around 86, usually associated with San Dimas vs Ontario?
    *End of Charvel USA and start of Jackson bolt ons, again, around 86? But they started as Strat and were close to Charvel specs? Did not become Dinky (with changed specs) until '88?

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
    What do the Ontario plates say?
    Jackson
    Made in U.S.A.
    (serial number)
    4452 Airport Dr
    Ontario
    CA 91761
    U.S.A.

That is from a production bolt on with a 6 digit numeric serial (001734). The plates from 1990 on were like that. I don't know about the older stuff.

Comment

I have a bolt-on 1-H Strat that shows 4/87 - so Ontario, but it's neckplate still says San Dimas.

Comment

Dinkys existed well before 1988....Charvel made Dinkys during the San Dimas era!!

Comment

The TM / R changed mid 86. There is no clear date of the change from what Iv seen. The dinky existed way before 88, I believe 84 they had dinky charvels, not the flattops which were more full sized. In 86 charvel became the import line Jackson USA only. Even a few of the last charvel plated bolt on had Jackson logos on the headstock. There is no difference between dimas era charvels and first yr Jackson bolt ons other than the logos.

Comment

The earliest dinky I have seen is 1981. A collector I've long lost touch with had it. It may have been a five digit, actually. I think I have the photo somewhere. I'll look. That was back in the days when we mailed (like U.S.P.S. mailed) photos back and forth to each other LOL.

After the original Charvel run ended the plates turned gold/black to chrome/black and said Jackson still with the San Dimas address. During the factory transition things got a bit messy with plates where they got out of sequence. I think things got back in order when the Ontario plates started to appear.

In the late 80's I saw an awesome grey snakeskin strat with a Charvel plate and Jackson logo'd neck. I assumed it was parts and did not buy it. I was not aware of the plate/logo mismatch and that it could well have been legit! Mistake! I should have bought it even if it was parts!
            www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

I had SD Charvel 5490 it was a strat head and had a Jackson logo.
              May have been the last strat head.
              Last edited by straycat; 06-08-2014, 11:20 AM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

IIRC, early pre-86 Jackson neck-thru "Soloists" with J serial numbers were oddly called "Dinkys" in the log books, then were rebranded as "Soloists". I'm not 100% sure what year the first Jackson plated bolt-on Dinky appeared, but it had to be 86. So, this "Strat became Dinky" thing comes up from time to time but seems to be a myth (at least as far as Jacksons go).

Comment

Yes one of my Jackson Dinky's is dated 2-86

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  IIRC, early pre-86 Jackson neck-thru "Soloists" with J serial numbers were oddly called "Dinkys" in the log books, then were rebranded as "Soloists". I'm not 100% sure what year the first Jackson plated bolt-on Dinky appeared, but it had to be 86. So, this "Strat became Dinky" thing comes up from time to time but seems to be a myth (at least as far as Jacksons go).

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                    Yes one of my Jackson Dinky's is dated 2-86
                    Nice! Maybe a Charvel-plated Jackson-logo Dinky from 85 will show up at some point, too.

Comment

Yep, that early 81' Dinky is a 2 piece Birdseye maple body, 2 hums, 21 fret strathead rosewood board. Vintage standard trem and 9.9/10 all bone stock and 100% original and it still is That's all I'm saying, and BTW yes it is a 5 digit plate

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        Nice! Maybe a Charvel-plated Jackson-logo Dinky from 85 will show up at some point, too.

Already has:

Comment

Awesome guitar!!!
                          www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

That purple kills. Sweet Dinky.

Comment

Love your purple Dinky!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X