My new axe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new axe!

I am so f*cking pumped. I just got a KBX bass today and I'm loving it. The first thing that drew me to the Kelly is the fact that 1)It looks hella cool and 2)they offered it in a passive P/J style that I was used to. (KB1). I went to my Jackson shop looking for said bass, but they only had the active version, the KBX. I decided to give it a try anyway and I was pretty much blown away by it's comfort, tonal versatility and low price. The price to quality ratio is pretty d*mn impressive for those Japanese Jacksons (IMO).

Anyway, I'm pretty much converted. I'll still use my old P/J for situations where I need passives, but for pure power, I'm gonna stick with this bass. It's incredible. Incidentally, I got it in Transparent Black.

A quick question - The tuner for the lowest (E) string looks a bit crooked when compared to the other tuners. Is this a problem? Should I get it fixed or can I just readjust it myself?

Another question - Can I email or write Jackson to register my bass? The serial number is clearly marked on the bolt-on neckplate... I'm sure I probably won't need the warranty, just thinking ahead.

This is my first Jackson and I'm already impressed. Great instrument all the way. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: My new axe!

You are infected.
    There is no cure.
    --
    Welcome to the asylum.
    [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

BTW: Pics are MANDATORY. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Pics are on the way! As soon as I can take them (probably within a week or so) I'll have them here. What do you think about the lowest tuner, though? Isn't that a bit odd or am I being overly worried?

Comment

Cool! What do you mean by crooked? Without pics, we can't tell. Is it just maybe it needs to be unscrewed from the back and adjusted to line up with the others? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

its comfort

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
            Cool! What do you mean by crooked? Without pics, we can't tell. Is it just maybe it needs to be unscrewed from the back and adjusted to line up with the others? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup, that's it. I guess it's no big deal. I'll just do it myself.

Comment

Seems a little odd that a tuner is just crooked, by itself. If so, I'd guess either it was installed incorrectly at the factory or it got bumped some how. If it got hit than you'd see signs of it though, like the tuning machine would be bent or something.

Matt
              Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Nothing's bent or scratched. It doesn't looked bumped. Assuming it WAS installed incorrectly, could I just loosen the screw, readjust it and screw it back in?

Comment

Follow up: Ok, now I'm frustrated. Maybe I should start a new thread in "Tech Q/A".

Here's the problem, the tuner isn't bent or otherwise harmed, it's just tilted. Not by much, just enough to notice. I tried unscrewing it and readjusting it. That worked until I retuned to low "E". Then it went right back to being crooked again. The tension on the tuner just from having it in standard tuning is throwing it off. And the reason is this: the screw isn't going in the whole way. Something must have happened at the factory that caused the threads to become stripped, because I simply can't screw it in enough. It's not secure. The other tuners are SOLID. The low "E" one simply isn't screwed in tight enough and there's seemingly nothing I can do about it.

Should I just forget the whole thing? The problem is largely cosmetic. Then again, I'm worried it will go out of tune all the time because of it. Like I said, it's not a HUGE abberration.... you wouldn't notice it unless you looked, but then again, I'm sure you would if you did. Any advice?

Comment

I'd send it back for a new neck if it's that noticeable. Otherwise, if you can do so without creating a cosmetic issue, just plug the screw hole, line the tuner up, re-drill the hole, tighten the screw, and be done with it. If the original screw hole is elongated it will cause tuning problems because it could allow the post to turn.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

What's an easy way to tell if the original screw hole is enlongated?

Comment

you can take the tuner off and look at the hole. if it's way big, there's your problem. i think this was said in the tech section, but put a toothpick with superglue on it into the hole and clip the rest off. once the glue hardens, redrill.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                        X