Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!!! Replacement Vibrato Bridge for 1990 USA Fusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!! Replacement Vibrato Bridge for 1990 USA Fusion?

I have a 1990 USA Jackson Fusion with a Jackson branded Floyd Rose licensed vibrato bridge. Three of the saddle intonation screws are stripped. The guy who works on my guitars said that most of the Floyd Rose licensed bridges use softer metal bridge plates than a genuine Original Floyd Rose (OFR) and are prone to stripping if overtightened. I have been looking at Jackson/Charvel branded licensed Floyd bridges on ebay and the JT-500, JT-580 and JT-590 all look very similar to the bridge on my guitar. What are the differences between the various models and which would work best with my guitar? If I can't find a replacement Jackson bridge, can my existing bridge be fixed? If not, will an OFR work properly on my guitar without modifications to the guitar? Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

You most likely have a jt-590. A jt-500 looks the same but is made of crap metal, and a 580 is a lesser trem too and looks different than the 590. There should be a trem id guide in the tech section. If it is a 590 that you have then a schaller is a drop in replacement. The 590 is a jackson branded schaller. The floyd should work too but may leave a big space on one side of the rout. Maybe intonation issues too with that swap, Im not sure.

Try here http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm
    Last edited by Carbuff; 07-11-2014, 12:33 AM.

Comment

This is what you want: http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Floy...-P577C694.aspx

They don't come cheap but you will be VERY happy with it. I replaced the schaller on my fusion RECENTLY.... Well worth it!
      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

A 1990 Fusion should have come with a JT-590... it's is not a crap Floyd. It's made by Schaller on the same assembly lines using most of the same components as an OFR.

The JT-580 is a Takeuchi low profile trem. It's meh quality... much better than the chinese clones, but not as nice as a Schaller.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice so far! I clicked on the Warmoth link above and see that the OFR is only $20 more than the Schaller. Warmoth acknowleges that the Schaller is manufactured with die-cast steel, which results in a warmr tone. How much will an OFR change my tone? I am hesitant to go with another Schaller, lest I end up in the same situation again with stripped saddle intonation screws. Also, can the bridge height be adjusted upward. I am not crazy about the recessed bridge. My pick hits the pickups too often and my pinky and third finger rub against the voljume and tone controls when picking. On my Strat , my tech raised the bridge post screws and angled the neck back with shims to solve that issue, but I am wondering if the same can be done with a recessed bridge?

Comment

The real Schaller supposed to be harder than the Jackson or Charvel branded trems.

Someone on this site was offering to re-thread these (RobRR maybe?)

An OFR will have fitment issues - longer locking threads out the back of the trem. Intonation could possibly be an issue because the saddles are located in a different location relative to the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricey View Post
              I am hesitant to go with another Schaller, lest I end up in the same situation again with stripped saddle intonation screws.
              Schaller has addressed that problem with newer models. You can fix the old stripped out screws with helicoils, though. I know there's a thread about it on here somewhere.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Also, can the bridge height be adjusted upward.
                Yes, any type of Floyd bridge can be adjusted up or down... just use an allen wrench in the two posts to raise or lower.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Schaller has addressed that problem with newer models. You can fix the old stripped out screws with helicoils, though. I know there's a thread about it on here somewhere.

+1 and I can verify this is no longer an issue. These bridges are every bit as good as floyds.....
                  -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

If the resr of the trem is in good condition i would repair the threads with helicoil inserts.
                    As stated above, the recess on guitars fitted with this type of Schaller trem will not accomodate an
                    OFR due to the longer locking screws on the OFR.
                    I have fitted a OFR on a soloist that originally came with one these Schaller trems by shortening
                    the locking screws on the OFR, it's very easy to do with the right tools and i had no intonation problems either.
                    I also have a Fusion and it has the same Schaller trem and the same routing as the soloist.
                    So with a little fidelling i think you can fit either of the two to your Fusion, but if you go with the OFR you can expect a
                    brighter and less warm tone than with the Schaller due to the different baseplates, that was the reason i changed out
                    the Schaller on my soloist, to match the tone of my other soloist with a OFR.

Comment

There is also a Schaller with stainless steel baseplate available these days
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

This is all great info! If anybody has used helicoils to repair their JT-590, please let me know what size I would need.

Comment

I emailed Schaller and they will sell me a baseplate. This will be cheaper than buying the entire bridge.

Comment

Schaller put hardened inserts for the intonation screws. Saw a pic somewhere before. I have a newer Schaller on my Adrian Smith clone and it has what looks like nuts in the baseplate that you can see on the underside. I'll snap pics next time I take her apart. The Schaller does seem a little bit smoother than an OFR when using the bar to me.
                            It's pronounced soops

Comment

This is all great info! If anybody has used helicoils to repair their JT-590, please let me know what size I would need.
                              I want to know too,my G string's saddle screw hole was stripped.please! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X