Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's a good jackson model to start with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what\'s a good jackson model to start with?

btw lerx; I hope you read my last post in powermetal thread?
    you got me wrong there...

just want to be sure... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

thank you all for posting, I'm off to bed now.
    gotta get out early (my job's gonna take me from 5am to 6pm this sunday. thx boss!! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ).
    seeya tomorrow///
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Yes I did, and we're cool! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] This is what happens with labels; they mean different things to different people. No
      big deal, it's just fun to argue sometimes!
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Micha - I've got a used PS3T black cherry here that's in good shape for $250.00. Also, in regard to AMS and shipping Jackson/Charvel products, I'll beat any price out there as long as the product is new. Drop me an email if you'd like to discuss options with me.

Matt [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

The KS2 has its own case, but it will fit in a standard Kelly case. KS2's are nice. Mid-range Japanese bolt-on. A good deal at $300.

Comment

thats great...
            I was afraid there wouldn't be a case anywhere...

seems like there're lots of choices out there...
            thx!!

what about these JS series you mentioned?
            are they japanese or india built?
            or are there two lines out there? I read about them a while ago but don't remember actually...
            I just heard the factory setup was awefull, but lots of potential left in these thingys...
            well...

thank you for helping me out!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

what a horrible day, but nice to see some new posts in here... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
              Yes I did, and we're cool! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] This is what happens with labels; they mean different things to different people. No
              big deal, it's just fun to argue sometimes!
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">naaa, the argue thing was never my point. don't have a problem with a serious discussion as long as it stays based on arguments, as you did.
              I just feared you got me wrong and thought that "don't attack me" like post was meant to you.

well, it wasn't. I meant that guy trying to get me by playing jokes on my band and giving stupid, kiddy comments to me before on the other thread...
              he somehow didn't like me having another opinion and taste than him and he got personal and offending right from the start coz of that.

I never had a prob with you and I did get that "he'll have to kill you" one the right way.

(actually my post concerning the CIA or whatever I wrote was meant as a little joke to get a little better atmosfear with that guy. I did know my site was in my profile, but I just felt like joking around to show him I was not about to "fight" anybody.)

well, everything should be clear now. just wanted to make sure.
              and since you're fine, so am I.
              cheers mate!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

@matt; I'd be glad to buy at your place, but a PS3T is actually not what I'm looking for since it has 22frets and I'd like to have 24.
              it is a fine instrument I know, since I got one on my own and love it, but this time... simply not the right thing for me. but thanks for offering!!
              be sure I'll check out your stock tomorrow!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

but it's not up to me to decide anyway...
              if he still likes that rhoads idea and doesn't mind some missing frets in some songs you'll be adress number one. great offer you got!!

@jon; well, I actually don't agree on that one.
              the trem never kept me away from playing sober and the way you write it sounds like a trem would be an "easy way out" in any playing situation...
              if I don't need my trem, I simply don't use it and set my hand on it (which I like from the feeling actually, quite comfortable for me) and it plays like any other string thru (just lacks a little sustain of course, but that's the deal).
              I simply like the trem to be there when I feel like I need it.
              I can get some quite nasty sounds out of it in combination with pinched harmonics, flagolets or dual volume and three way switch (I like that kill of sounds combined with trem sometimes for example).
              I'd not like to miss that any more.
              bending up is easy, but bending down quite hard without a trem.

I don't feel like I have to use the trem everywhere just coz it's there, and I never felt like I'd lack concentration coz of it.

plz correct me if I got you wrong. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

thank you all for posting again and have a nice day or good nite or whatever... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              best regards///micha

Comment

double post. sorry.

[ September 21, 2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: micha ]

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Villalobos:
                  I would go with the DK2 hands down. As a 20 year veteran of axe slinging a DK2 is my main axe. Another option to think about is a DKMGT. It's a hardtail and will let your student concentrate more on learning to play than wanking away at the trem bar. My first guitar had a vintage trem and basicaly I mastered the tremelo before I learned even half of a song. I wish I had a hardtail as my first axe.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with the hardtail comment. A lot of people think you CAN'T have a metal axe without a Floyd Rose, but it's more important to learn left-hand vibrato, especially when you're a beginner. If he's new, let him learn the basics and get fancy with a wank-bar later on. And keep the body shape basic, too.

I just got a new Kelly bass (the KBX) and I ADORE it, but it's a bit of a nose-diver and not the best shape for a beginner (IMO). I grew up playing Strats, Les Pauls and P-basses, and those are some of the best body shapes for learning the fundamentals. Go with something a bit more extreme after he's been playing for awhile. If he thinks he can't "rock out" on a certain guitar because of the way it's shaped, he's missing the point. One of the first things to learn when you're buying a guitar is that you can play some ferious metal on a Strat-shape just like you can on a BC Rich Warlock (or whatever).

Comment

Ya kinda got me wrong Micha, but no offense at all here. My point was exactly what Blackmask said in the post after mine. You got to crawl before you walk and sometimes limiting options on a beginner guitar is for the best. All my guitars have a Floyd or a vintage trem. I'm just like you, I use it when I need it and leave it alone when I don't need it. I was sharing my experiences at 13 years old and new to the guitar. A 13 year old punk and a whammy bar are like Bart Simpson and explosives. Floyds are a little too much for a new player and can make just playing a pain in the arse. A hardtail is simple. Tune up and go. Just my recomendation to the beginner.

Comment

I would go with the DK2 hands down. As a 20 year veteran of axe slinging a DK2 is my main axe. Another option to think about is a DKMGT. It's a hardtail and will let your student concentrate more on learning to play than wanking away at the trem bar. My first guitar had a vintage trem and basicaly I mastered the tremelo before I learned even half of a song. I wish I had a hardtail as my first axe.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Villalobos:
                        Ya kinda got me wrong Micha, but no offense at all here. My point was exactly what Blackmask said in the post after mine. You got to crawl before you walk and sometimes limiting options on a beginner guitar is for the best. All my guitars have a Floyd or a vintage trem. I'm just like you, I use it when I need it and leave it alone when I don't need it. I was sharing my experiences at 13 years old and new to the guitar. A 13 year old punk and a whammy bar are like Bart Simpson and explosives. Floyds are a little too much for a new player and can make just playing a pain in the arse. A hardtail is simple. Tune up and go. Just my recomendation to the beginner.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">now I got you!!
                        and it even sounds reasonable when I think of it, but you probably got my situation wrong.

we're not talking about a 13 year old punk here. that guy is 18 years old now and had lessons for, well two years as far as I know.
                        I just thread him as a beginner since his teacher sucked IMO.
                        he came to me in the first lessons and he did neither now a tonica nor one single scale.
                        his plec positioning was horrible and his technique needs to be redone, but he's not really new to buisness.
                        he plays quite good actually (the songs they did in lessons), but he clearly misses the elemental knoledge. many teachers do that.
                        teach one song after the other, the students think "wow" anytime they hear him play a new song, but they don't understand anything. they don't know there are things like scales and every solo is to be played more or less about the same.

and he's doing really well right now. he's processing fast and will be able to handle a lot more within the next months I think.
                        he understands quick and is quite talented.

his actual guitar has a basic, cheap trem, but he deosn#t use it. he doesn't even have the trem stick installed at all...

and he's patient enough to do one thing after the other. he plays what I show to him, and can resist asking for things I told him they are above his skills for now.
                        I say "later guy" and he's fine, coz he knows we WILL do later.

I don't think it will bring him out of concept to have another tremolo system than he was used to (at least if it's a better one).
                        I saw him play mine, and he likes it...
                        it will surely take a package of strings or two, till he knows how to set up a floyd half way correct, but he'll get through it.

the point is; you wrote all your guitars have a floyd. that guy will surely not say "all my guitars" within the next years, since he simply can't afford as many guitars as you probably can as a guy in working life.
                        this guitar is about to be his one and only for the next years, so I can't buy anything for the skills he has now and will probaby be high above within half a year, ya know?

as for the shape topic you and black mask mentioned;
                        well, that's not up to me. I'm sure he won't buy anything he can't play actually sitting down and standing up, and he's not THAT optic fixed, that he puts it ove playability.
                        he knows iron maiden use strats for example and in flames and metallica go on stage with a paula.

but if he simply likes odd shapes (he's a rhoads fan for example) I won't get him off, if he feels comfortable with the guitar itself.
                        and not to forget; a guitar he'll like to look at, will be a guitar he'll like to play. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

myself I actually like the DK2 idea, but it's his guitar...

thank you for posting!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                        best regards///micha

Comment

You know, guys, Micha said "student", not
                          "beginner"; reading his posts I see the
                          student has a Peavey Strat-style guitar now and is ready to move up to something better.

That being the case, if he loves metal and the effects a whammy allows, might as
                          well get used to a Floyd sooner rather than later. Even for a beginner, the only problem with a Floyd is the extra work involved in changing strings and learning not to push on the bridge when playing. I'd say teaching him the proper setup and maintenance of a Floyd would be worth a lesson in itself, if he
                          doesn't know to get it here free! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] A set of hex wrenches is not hard to use, nor is a wire clipper.

Best of luck finding a great axe for your student, Micha! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Well, you beat me to it Micha! Uh, guys, what he said! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

OOPS!! My bad, he DID say, "still a beginner", but the description afterward told me he has been playing for awhile.
                              I forgot "beginer" after I read further, as it looked like he knew the basics of
                              the guitar at that point!
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Lerxst refers to "A Lerxst in Wonderland"
                                section of "La Villa Strangiata", an instrumental on Rush's "Hemispheres" album. Cat is because I like cats, and because "Cat" is also musician slang for
                                "dude"! So I became Lerxstcat!

Many people call me Lerx for short, which
                                sounds like "lurks", so some think it means I'm a board lurker, but I have too big a mouth to lurk and not talk! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                So that's a misleading nickname, but I answer to it anyway!
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X