Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's a good jackson model to start with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's a good jackson model to start with?

hi there!!!
    one of my students asked me wether I'd help him to find a new guitar for him and of course I recommended to a jackson... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] he likes mine, so that's fine with him.

what would you think would be a good model to start with?
    I think bolt on would be just fine, and I'd like it to have a hum in bridge, two full octaves on fretboard and a floyd.
    I was thinking about a PS2 or better a PS6t since I like the kelly shape... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    myself I got a PS3T and it's a killer guitar for the bug!! the action is just awesome and it stays in tune with an ease...
    only the 22 frets disturb me sometimes...

any other suggestion about what is good for the cash and fits my specs?

what would be a good deal for those guitars?
    start discussing plz!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

thx and best regards///micha
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Re: what\'s a good jackson model to start with?

Hey there micha,
    I have a PS-4 and for a lower end model guitar, I love it. It has the 24 frets and it has the h/s/h configuration. BTW, if you do suggest to your student to get the kelly shape, maybe you could let him hold it with a strap around his neck. I know I personally don't like the way the headstock feels like it wants to do a "nose dive" even though I love the way they look. Just a thought!
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

mmmhhh.... HSH sounds even better than the double hum of the PS2. more versaitle maybe...
      how are the PUs controlled on this one?
      does it have H-HS-S-SH-H on five way switch? or how does it work?
      never had anything else but three way...
      how are the volumes and tones set up?

so the kellys have a nose dive? some people told me the same about the bolt on rhoads, what I never mentioned, but I'm sure we're gonna try out at the guitar store before we decide...

I never played a kelly, but I really dig the way it looks... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      and I know he likes odd shapes... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I dunno if it has to be a real low end, I asked him how much he wants to spend, and he answered as much as necessary. quite a good answer IMO.
      I'd like him to get something solid he will still be happy with in a few years.

a friend of mine has a PS4... maybe I'll check it out. the performers are quite cheap and are about the best for the bug I played so far...
      I still play mine quite often. I love it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

thanks for the tip dave!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

anyone else an idea?
      any options I forgot about?
      thx///micha

Comment

JS30.

In ten years time people might finally realise how good these things are. Japanese made, JT580LP, EXCELLENT neck feel, and surprisingly good pickups. Also consider that it has a warranty. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] No sharkfins or binding, but for a new guitar under $300, there isn't ANYTHING better.

Comment

American Music has the DK2 Sustaniac on sale for $269, I would reccomend that one for the DK2 quality and price and the Sustaniac will be fun for the young musician to dabble with [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
            American Music has the DK2 Sustaniac on sale for $269, I would reccomend that one for the DK2 quality and price and the Sustaniac will be fun for the young musician to dabble with [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Won't the sustainer eat batteries for lunch?

Comment

mmmhhh... sounds great...
              it is sad, but usually US-resident guitars go about the same for me, even with these huge shipping costs, since the guitars itself are way cheaper...

got a link for me slayer? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

DK-2 for sure or a used Charvel Import Model series
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

what is a DK2 worth?
                  new or second hand? I'd like it to be in good condition...

gimme some prizes please!!!

and thanks for the response everyone!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

www.americanmusical.com That is a great price and it is Black Cherry color, very nice!! Jack.

Comment

thx jack!!!
                      I was browsing the wrong site... americanmusic.com is something different I found, I was looing for jacksons in vain there... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

but this one looks really nice!! and a sustainer is never wrong I guess...
                      does it work independantly from the PUs?
                      he could take it out and plant it into another guitar some day if he likes...
                      would that be possible?
                      just curious.

what do you guys think of the KS2 ?
                      easton has got one fairly priced for a 300 bucks...
                      looks nice too IMO, but will I find a case for this one?
                      never seen that shape before...

you're a great help once again!!
                      thank you so much!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

As cool as the Kelley Star looks, I feel the DK2 would be a better first guitar. The strat body is great for standing or sitting when playing, but that`s just my opinion, but I say keep it simple at first and yet I am reccomending a guitar with a locking Trem, not so simple, but if that is what the student wants, just make sure it is set up correctly and then tuned and locked down so there is no fiddling for the youngster. Jack.

Comment

The JS30 is only 22 frets though, and you said 24 was what you want for your student. Also, note the $269 DK-2S is B stock, meaning it has some sort of blemish. The regular DK-2S is $379, still a great deal; might have to do that myself.

Big question: does AMS ship to Europe? IF they do it'd surely be cheaper than the $150 average it'd cost us civilians!

The Kelly is notorious for being neck heavy, so do try it first standing up. I
                          agree a DK-2 would be better overall for starters, but if he really likes the Kelly, that's cool.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

you get used to anything I think....
                            myself, I'm so rhoads damaged, that I have my problems playing my model 5 for example sitting down... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

and he's not really a strat-shape fan he told me.
                            if I find something great for the money, I'll try to convince him, since specs and performance should have priority over a finish or some nice inlays and that stuff, but it's up to him in the end.
                            I'm not about to buy anything for him, he doesn't like somehow.
                            let's see...

I never had a kelly star tho... never heard of it actually. but I trust in jackson.
                            I will go in store with him next friday and we'll play anything they got before we/he decide for a body shape.
                            I think the usual kelly will feel close to the KS2, so maybe we'll try that instead. at least they look quite similar...

I'm just watching out for some possibilities for him and take care he's not gonna be ripped off, since he really lacks experience in these things.
                            I'm observing ebay daily and watch out in local second hand corners...
                            I will find something nice I hope, but a new one would be cool too for sure.
                            easton adds another points to the KS2 for me, since he's a cool guy (got great experiences there), will set it up for me and I'm about to do an order at him anyway.
                            otherwhise I like the sustainer, but that's all minor.

he will get along with a floyd I think...
                            I know how to set it up, and I gave him tech lessons before, so no prob with that.

and it's not his first guitar.
                            maybe I titled this thread wrong (well, actually I did I guess... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )...
                            he still is a beginner, but has been playing before.
                            he now owns a peavy strat copy he got for a 100 bucks. it plays pretty nice for the price, but the features simply suck. the trem is crap, it's got 21 frets only and the single coils cleary miss some punch in them.

he's a metal head just like me and I feel like he'll need the specs I mentioned some day.
                            it's not that I'm about to teach him pentatonics only and show him how to put the capo in 5th fret so he can use his G-major scale for songs in C and all that crap you see sometimes... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            he'd not need a new guitar for that...

I have to take care that I won't get too crazy about all that stuff... I'm clearly too guitar-fanatic... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I'm thinking about that stuff all day, I'm really sick... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

best regards///micha

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                              The JS30 is only 22 frets though, and you said 24 was what you want for your student. Also, note the $269 DK-2S is B stock, meaning it has some sort of blemish. The regular DK-2S is $379, still a great deal; might have to do that myself.

Big question: does AMS ship to Europe? IF they do it'd surely be cheaper than the $150 average it'd cost us civilians!

The Kelly is notorious for being neck heavy, so do try it first standing up. I
                              agree a DK-2 would be better overall for starters, but if he really likes the Kelly, that's cool.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">found out that too a minute ago. thx lerx. (22frets)

but didn't mention this B-stock thing...
                              a few nicks in finish here an there would be ok I guess, but I better ask there and clear up everything. thx for the hint!!

150 for shipping would be way too much I think. at least for a strat-shape guitar. I payed 80bucks last time I think... don't remember correctly...

but still it's cheaper than buying in germany.
                              I dunno if you know about how lucky you US-residents are with regard to that... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

and the choice is by far bigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X