Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Soloist model is this? (pic included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Soloist model is this? (pic included)

Hi all,

Someone in a nearby small town posted this Soloist in my city's online classifieds. What model is this? I thought it was an SLSMG at first (with different pickups) but then realized the SLSMG had small sharktooth inlays. I also cannot find anything on the Jackson website's current product list that quite looks like this. In fact, none of the 3x3 headstock Soloists on the Jackson website have full sharkfin inlays (they all have sharktooth).

Just want to be sure of the model name so that I can then do my research to find out if it's worth the asking price. I'm almost positive it's an import.

The only photo provided in the listing is linked below. I asked for more photos, but the seller says it's the only pic he has. Come on, how hard is it to take more photos with a cellphone camera? At least he reassures me it is in "good shape" but I will decide that for myself.

Thanks in advance!

Is the seller sure that's a neck thru Soloist?
    It looks like a bolt on DXMGT Dinky.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

FYI, "sharktooth" inlays = Ibanez RG. The little inlays on an SLSMG are "piranha".

I remember my formerly-local Guitar Center mis-identified a DXMGT as an SLSMG. This is the same GC that spelled Rhoads as "Rhodes" on a used model. My now-local GC mis-identified a WRXT as a JS Warrior and priced it accordingly.

Comment

It's some kind of Musicians Friend or Guitar Center exclusive. I know at least one other person here had one of those.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I e-mailed the stubborn kid to kindly request additional photos and an identification of the model name. Let's see if his uncooperative bitch-ass will actually participate in a two way transaction like a proper seller should and show me a photo of the back! I am not driving an hour out into the country only to find out that it might be a DXMGT with swapped pickups like Mudlark is indicating.

DesolationBlvd, thanks for the clarification. That's what I get for staying away from daily guitar forum participation for the past decade...

toejam, considering the fact that I and the seller are in Canada, it would be nice if it was one of the large American chain's store exclusives brought north. We never get anything but the vanilla offerings up here. If it does turn out to be a Soloist instead of a Dinky, it might be a steal because it's listed at a very low price, hence my interest in knowing what model it is. Since my recent return to browsing guitar forums and looking at the Jackson website, I was stunned to see so many different Soloists offered now, especially import versions, when during my most active time it was primarily the SL1, SL2H, SL3, and SLSMG. Now there is the SLSMGWTFBBQLOL and 8-string versions that never existed before and which just blow my mind.

EDIT - Seller just replied. Super fast just like his first reply when he originally told me it's a Soloist in good condition and that was the only pic he has, from his fancy-schmancy iPhone. I like quick service and quick replies... so why can't he also take that damn iPhone and snap another photo or two? I smell a timewaster, dodging my questions about whether it's a Dinky or Soloist. I'm almost tempted to say it's a DXMGT as Mudlark suggested because now that I've Googled DXMGT, it is pretty much exactly that. I can also see a faint hint of the bolt-on heel's shadow in the photo. Pass. Thanks all for the help!

EDIT #2 - Looked him up on Facebook and he's a dad in his 30s, not a kid as I thought. Even more immature that a grown man will not be a willing participant in the two-partner dance that comprises selling an item. He can take his iPhone and his DXMGT out into the backwoods and gently insert them into his anal sphincter.
          Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-15-2014, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Yeah man, ditch that bitch! If he wants to sell some stuff the least he can do is take a lousy photo!

Comment

Anyone trying to sell something, that has the means to snap more pics yet refuses to, is trying to scam someone. You can't even write it off as lack of knowledge. You should set up a meeting just so you can poke him in the eye for screwing with you.
              In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Since I have an automatic e-mail alert set up on my local classifieds for "jackson", I got a notification today of a new listing. It turns out it is the same seller relisting the guitar, with a price drop, and wised up and decided to add some better photos. Obviously now it's not a Soloist since we can see the back. The seller is likely just misinformed and is still labeling the ad as a "Soloist" despite my most recent reply to him trying to help him distinguish between Dinky (bolt-on) versus Soloist (neckthru) but remember he didn't listen to me. Another quick browse of "DXMGT" on Google Images confirms this guitar is indeed a DXMGT with swapped pickups.

Thanks to all who have replied, and thanks to Mudlark for quickly identifying it as a DXMGT.

Comment

Here's another nitwit with a DXMGT calling it a Soloist: http://charlottesville.craigslist.or...619438323.html

Comment

Is a DXMGT even worth $260 as per that Craigslist ad?

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                      Is a DXMGT even worth $260 as per that Craigslist ad?
                      Its more than I would pay. But that doesn't mean that its more than you should pay.
                      I think its on par with current pricing.

Comment

$260 is a pretty good deal for a used Japanese Jackson, depending on condition of course.
                        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks pianoguyy and Mudlark! The reason I ask is because my dimwitted local seller is selling his for CAD$200, down from CAD$225. When it was CAD$225 and only had one picture that looked like a Soloist, that's when I posted this topic because I thought I found a $225 Soloist.

Got excited over nothing, apparently!

So CAD$200 seems decent for my local one, but that doesn't change the fact that the seller lives on the outskirts of town and is basically an oaf with no social graces.

Comment

The black DXMGT shown seems to have the original EMG HZ's replaced, but I wonder what's in it now? Quite possibly an upgrade from the stock HZ's? An alder body is a nice touch and the serial suggests '05-'06. For $200, it may well be worth checking out.

Comment

Seller has no idea what pickups they are. I'm anal, so even if I do get my local DXMGT for CAD$200, I'd want my pickups to match, and thus need to spend more money to get it the anal-rententive way I like it. Did I also mention the seller is a thick-headed man-child who is difficult to converse with?

Comment

Working...
                              X