Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marty Friedman Defected?

Personally, I don't think Megadeth was ever the same without Chris Poland
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Here a Metal Sludge interview Marty did not too long ago

http://www.metal-sludge.com/20Questi...tyFriedman.htm

Comment

Since leaving Megadeth and Jackson, Marty's done a lot of cool stuff. His playing on Explorers Club "raising the mammoth" is amazing, very soulful and melodic. I put in an order for his "Music for Speeding", so I'm looking forward to hearing that.

Comment

Marty is a great player......
          But my choice would be MR. Poland. Killing my Bus.
          and Peace Sells are F'in awesome.
          later erik
          Oh and haow is ESP getting away with stealing the King V that is so not right [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

There will be mass defectors with Fender in the head shed. Sit and watch. Mega who?

Comment

I think marty & jason were in Cacophony?
              that was a cool group with lots of flash guitar [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

MArty and JAson played Hurricane guitars in cocafany. At least the first album anyway. Did they switch to Carvin for the second one?
                MArty's decision to switch to Ibanez was probably the money. However Fender may be nipping the bud too.Looking for newer more current musuicns to endorse the Jackson line. The only two remaining true old school metal guys left are Phil Colin and Scott Ian. Marty's name is still in the players list though on the website. Go figure.
                Gil

Comment

I don't know if they recorded with Carvins or not, but on the cover of "Go Off!" Marty has a Carvin V220 and Jason has a DC127 - both pink! It was the 80s ya know!

But they were DARK pink, just to show us they weren't playing games! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ September 24, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by erik:
                    that was a cool group with lots of flash guitar
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cacophony was akin to listening to a WW2 machine gun battle. Flash I guess, but it was speed metal gone insane. That whole unfortunate period with them and Paul Gilbert of Racer X was one reason for the backlash to 80’s Pop Metal, and thus the term “Butt Rock” we hear kids spouting these days. Smart guitar players play for feel, not speed. But speed has its place, otherwise we’d have to pull Paganini out of his grave and box his ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkopf:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by erik:
                      that was a cool group with lots of flash guitar
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cacophony was akin to listening to a WW2 machine gun battle. Flash I guess, but it was speed metal gone insane. That whole unfortunate period with them and Paul Gilbert of Racer X was one reason for the backlash to 80’s Pop Metal, and thus the term “Butt Rock” we hear kids spouting these days. Smart guitar players play for feel, not speed. But speed has its place, otherwise we’d have to pull Paganini out of his grave and box his ears. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I disagree a bit here... The Pop Metal/"Butt rock" backlash was more a result of the Poisons' and Def Leppards' of the day, not guys like Cacophony. While I absolutely agree that guitar playing is about alot more than speed, bands like Cacophony, Racer X, & Tony Macalpine were more about pushing the limits of guitar playing, and in the case of Cacophony, of speed metal itself. IMHO, this genre was not really meant for the masses anyway...The grief that all the 80's bands get is/was a direct result of over-exposure of the tamest of the metal bands..(and of course the goofy hair/clothes...)

-Kenn

Comment

I agree with Kenn. 99.9% of the people backlashing against Pop Metal (Hair Metal/Butt Rock/whatever) would have no idea who Cacophony or Racer X were, apart from possibly a passing awareness that former members went on to play with DLR, Mr Big & Megadeth. So those bands were hardly the problem, it was the bands that valued image over substance that were the downfall of the genre.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Both of you are spot on. But let me clarify what I meant by the Racer X and Cacophony remark about the 80’s backlash. I vividly remember those couple of years were speed was king to an absurd degree. Paul Gilbert and YM were a huge influence on just about every modern guitar player during that time. Not only did most professional guitarists start to play super fast much of the time, but just about all the rest of us did too. (Is there anyone here who can’t alternate pick and play hammers and pulls fast even to this day?) So even if the typical Rock fan never heard of Racer X, he or she definitely saw the terrible influence of that hyper guitar style indirectly in many of the other bands. Exactly the kind of image over substance problem you mention VG.

Comment

would have been better if he went back to using Carvins like when he was playin with Becker in watever the band was. & Chris was my favorite megadeth guitarist, back when they all used BCRichs, even Dave

Comment

It's too bad that the whole approach to guitar playing changed so drastically. I've always lived on the heavier side of the tracks and have never really been a fan of heavily produced, pretty boy pop metal. Bands like Poison and Trixter I could do without! Like most of you I was into the bands that could really play. But, during the 80's we were shown the extreme levels of proficiency that could be had on guitar and it raised the bar higher for all of us.

I see kids coming into my store all day long and although there's more to playing guitar than being technically proficient and knowing how to solo, these kids worship bands like Mudvayne and Blink 182. I'm sure at some point guitar will become the focal point again, it's just a matter of when. For the last 10 years instrument retailers have been crying because there are no guitar heros any longer and guitar sales haven't been as good as they could be if we had a new version of EVH or something.
                              Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

I think that more "good" guitar playing is going to come back sooner than you guys think, in a large part due to the popularity of AFI. If you check out their latest album, their guitarist Jade Puget does a lot of really interesting things as far as rhythms and textures go that not many other guys are doing these days. A lot of it is still based around straightforward punk rhythm playing, but there is so much more to his style...he even has a rippin' solo in the song Dancing Through Sunday....

[ September 25, 2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Boxcar Willie 84 ]

Comment

Working...
                                X