Marty Friedman Defected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marty Friedman Defected?

I don't know if I would like of cacaphony as speed metal? I have go off. And only because of the lyrics I think its more big hair stuff. But the guitars would be speed metal for sure.
    I didn't care for their vocals (my opinion)
    later erik
    To bad Carvin don't make the crazy shapes anymore

Comment

I think Go Off was an attempt to cash in on the hair-metal market, but the singer didn't sound clean enough for the genre, so it was just a compromise for all concerned, and it didn't sell. After that Marty got the Megadeth gig and Jason
      got the DLR gig, than got ALS. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Still,
      it's impossible for those two to NOT make some incredible guitar music even when not at their best.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Cacaphony was indeed a great band. I wished they sank some more money into better production and had a better vocalist, those albums are so strong except for those two elements.

As for the whole decline of technical guitar playing, I feel it had to happen. It got to insane levels where even virtuosos could not keep up with the guys on the records, The music was pretty much impossible for everyone but the guys who recorded it. There had to be a breaking point when someone said "screw this."
        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Has anyone heard the "new" Racer X? I saw it in a small CD shop over the weekend and bought it. It sounds like a bunch of songs that Paul Gilbert wrote for Mr Big but they got shelved for being LAME. Even though the players are the same, minus Bruce Boulliet (SP?), the band doesn't sound anything like they used to. It's pretty disappointing.

Matt
          Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

I don't have the latest but I do have Superheros (the one before it) and I liked that one a lot. How can one album rule so much then the next one be lame?
            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I haven't heard anything new from them in a really long time so I don't know what the last one sounded like. I'm probably just used to Racer X the way they used to be. It sounds more like Mr Big than Racer X.
              Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Originally posted by mattsmusiccenter:
                Has anyone heard the "new" Racer X? I saw it in a small CD shop over the weekend and bought it. It sounds like a bunch of songs that Paul Gilbert wrote for Mr Big but they got shelved for being LAME. Even though the players are the same, minus Bruce Boulliet (SP?), the band doesn't sound anything like they used to. It's pretty disappointing.

Matt
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Getting Heavier was definitely mostly Paul's writing. It almost sounds like a Paul Gilbert solo album. If I may make a suggestion, if you do not have Superheroes, do yourself a favor and pick it up!!!!
                Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenScratch:
                  I don't have the latest but I do have Superheros (the one before it) and I liked that one a lot. How can one album rule so much then the next one be lame?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Black album? The World Needs a Hero?
                  I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

How I feel he looks has no affect on the music he played. I didnt insult the guitar company, infact they have many nice guitars.

I can think he looks like a turd in a punch bowl and thats my opinion. Notice, I am never on one of the Megadeth bashing threads.

Okay, the point that has been made...when I made it and when some other people did was it was probably about money.

And as someone else said, yes, you should be putting back for retirement, especially when your older. (wording is crap on that, but you get my point).

I just think of how stupid I think Marty is, I watched this think with him on VH1, he was all fat, and all he could say was, We were going to play Buddakhan (spelling), and he was going to cry, and I just thought, here your front man is struggling with addiction, and you are only concerned about playing some venue.

Yeah, He did good things for Megadeth, but look at Risk??? That was mainly (the direction) he wanted to go. Cryptic had alot of his influence on it, dont get me wrong, Dave may have been taming down, but that crap was all Marty.

Anyway, My personal dislike of the poodle looking prick means nothing. He did it for the money, bottom line, if he wanted quality he could have any guitar he wanted.

What I see people get upset about here is people moving away from Jacksons. We like Jacksons because they play/sound/feel good. They are a great bang for the buck.

Make no mistake though, and artist can have what he wants, and I am sure he can go, hmm I may not like this guitar ASSSSSSSSSSSS much as my others, but an 60K$ a year, I can live with that.

It is all about quality of life.

Comment

I guess you've never worked for a boss who had problems, Deneb. There was NOTHING Marty could do about Dave's drug
                      problem. If he tried to intervene, he'd
                      have just gotten fired. Because of that, he found something else to focus on.

I mean, how can we worry about any of this when somewhere out there is an Earth
                      crossing asteroid that may someday plow into the planet, wiping out civilization,
                      maybe mankind and maybe the whole planet
                      period? What could be more more vital than THAT? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

That's my point: If that's gonna happen,
                      there's not much we can do about it, so we may as well address the things we can
                      influence. He was excited about playing
                      Budokan, and it likely took his mind off
                      the fact that Dave was out of control, yet the guy IN control of the band.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I have worked with a boss that had problems.

And there are things you can do. Yeah, maybe you dont like a junky, but maybe some junkies dont want to be that anymore.

if you cant accept that, then go to hell, because there are people out there who want help.

I am sure there could have been a way he could have helped dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb:

Yeah, He did good things for Megadeth, but look at Risk??? That was mainly (the direction) he wanted to go. Cryptic had alot of his influence on it, dont get me wrong, Dave may have been taming down, but that crap was all Marty.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually Cryptic was more pop influenced because of their new producer at the time (forgot his name), and Dave wanting to sell more records.. he said it himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb:
                            Yeah, I have worked with a boss that had problems.

And there are things you can do. Yeah, maybe you dont like a junky, but maybe some junkies dont want to be that anymore.

if you cant accept that, then go to hell, because there are people out there who want help.

I am sure there could have been a way he could have helped dave.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Go to hell? You first! Besides, you have no way of knowing his prescence didn't help Dave. Maybe Dave would be dead of an OD if not for Marty. You don't know that, any more than I know if
                            Marty's prescence did help. The point is, until a drug user wants help, he will
                            only see you as an obstacle if you try to
                            intervene. He will rebel all the more by
                            taking more, if you try by force to stop him. Once a user wants to quit, it's a very different story. Many will say what their friends and family want to hear, then get high as soon as they're out of sight. Your view on the matter seems a bit simpler than the real dynamic
                            usually is.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Maintain low tones!!! Maintain low tones!!!!

Deneb... I don't wanna see someone saying "Go to hell" in this thread unless they're discussing the song.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Go to hell is a ****ty song [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X