• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details and price estimation for my guitar

Hello,

I would like to ask a few questions about my Charvel guitar:

1) When was it made?
    2) What do guitars like this usually go for?
    3) Can you recognize the exact model of EMG pickups on it?

I have attached a few photos of it including one in which the serial number can be seen.

Can't read your font color.

Model 475. $300+? With case or not?

Comment

I may be corrected, but I believe those were only made in '90-'91.
      I can't tell which EMG's those are.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I love the color.
        Pickups are not original.

Comment

All I know is, that looks awesome.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Here's what he wrote:

"I would like to ask a few questions about my Charvel guitar:

1) When was it made?
            2) What do guitars like this usually go for?
            3) Can you recognize the exact model of EMG pickups on it?

I have attached a few photos of it including one in which the serial number can be seen."

1- '89 - '91 475 Deluxe
            2- What Don said. $300 & up, but if you go to the "Charvel Guitars" Facebook page, you may find people willing to give you $600 (if any of those deals really get completed)
            3- Can't be sure just by looking at the pickups. Most of the time, people go with 81 - SA - SA, but it might also be an 85 in the bridge position.

Comment

I think, solely based on the color, that it would be on the higher end of the average price.
              But it really depends on the area you are trying to sell it in. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it if it was local to me. If it had a the case, plus the cool color, I may be able to squeak out $250.

Charvels have really taken a hit on the used market.
              Damn you, Desolation!

I am going to be taking a road trip, and on the drive my plan is to buy four Models and not pay $1000. In fact, I would like to get a 5th one and keep it under $1100 but I haven't talked to the 5th guy yet.

Comment

The color is killer. With the upgraded pups (not talking about tone, just how most buyers will view parts worth) a JT-590 and MOP sharks and the apparent condition I think you'd do considerably more than over $300 with the right buyer.... And there would be more than a few right buyers.

Not in the market myself but I'd go high just on the paint if I were.

Comment

It used to be that it was about 50-50 love/hate around here on the Platinum finish, but lately everyone goes crazy for it.

Charvels have really taken a hit on the used market.
                  Damn you, Desolation!

I haven't seen any effect on prices for Japanese Charvels from the Desolations, but it sounds like you're mainly looking at pawnshops or local sales. EBay completed listings for 475s back to Dec range from 1 low one at $299 to 1 crazy one at $999, the rest in the $400 - $600 range. I did all of my buying of imports before '06, mostly on eBay or here, and everything I'm seeing now is 60-100% higher (or more) than what I paid, especially the stuff I was interested in, like a Model 6, Model 7, or 750XL.

Comment

You can figure out the model of EMG by the colour of the logo - 81 is silver, 85 is gold, SA is gold etc
                    Popular is not the same as good
                    Rare is not the same as valuable
                    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

89 is grey, which is kinda silvery if you don't have an 81 to compare it to.

Given that it's H-S-S, my bet is 89 since one can get 3-single Strat tones, and an 81 typically overpowers SAs.

As for the price in regards to the Desolations, I'm not seeing where there's a contest. A Charvel Model series is going to be higher quality all around than a Desolation, IMO, because they were built by the shop that Grover set up in Japan, vs the shop that those guys may or may not have set up, under FMIC's ROI deadlines and budget.

What you WANT to pay for something and what a larger majority of potential buyers are willing to pay for something in heated battle-bidding are two very different things. Everyone wants to score a sweet axe for $250 or less, but the reality is that such a guitar on Ebay could go above $800.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        89 is grey, which is kinda silvery if you don't have an 81 to compare it to.

Given that it's H-S-S, my bet is 89 since one can get 3-single Strat tones, and an 81 typically overpowers SAs.
                        The 60 is gray, the 89 is copper/reddish.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          As for the price in regards to the Desolations, I'm not seeing where there's a contest. A Charvel Model series is going to be higher quality all around than a Desolation, IMO, because they were built by the shop that Grover set up in Japan, vs the shop that those guys may or may not have set up, under FMIC's ROI deadlines and budget.

I was referring to Desolation as having done two things:
                          1. Too many Charvels available at one time.
                          2. Tarnished the name recognition for awhile.

And don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I am hoping to strike gold with cheap prices. I am saying that I have already spoken to 4 of the 5 guys, and if their units (that haven't sold in the past year at $300) are still available next week when I drive through, I am picking them up for $200...

Sometimes ya gotta travel through po-dunk towns to find some prices that have been drastically reduced when compared to the rest of the world because there's not enough of a local market to sell.

Comment

I can't believe you guys across the pond can get something like that for $200!
                            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

We get everything here cheap, except utilities and medical care.

Desolations would have no bearing on the market value of a sparkly Model-series Charvel, because the only people who would even be remotely interested in it are the people who know what it is, how good it is, and how rare a finish it is (as far as market saturation).
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X