Favorite 80's/heavy metal guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite 80's/heavy metal guitar?

I'm always looking at "80's" style guitars, Wild colors, funky animal prints, cheesy graphics, all ridiculous of course but I love it

What's your favorite? Mine has to be Chris Holmes zebra RR

It's a newer version, but still all 80s. Funky shape, Rising Sun graphic, enigmatic number on the body, Floyd Rose, this baby has it all.

Comment

Originally posted by PunksisHippies View Post
      I'm always looking at "80's" style guitars, Wild colors, funky animal prints, cheesy graphics, all ridiculous of course but I love it

I'd be hard pressed to go past this as well .... maybe randy's white concorde or jakes blue burst, but I think chris' wins

Comment

Love me some 80's graphic finishes. It seemed fitting to have such over the top finishes on the machines that, in the right hands, left me awestruck. Lynch's kamikaze and tiger striped ESPs, DeMartini's snake, crossed swords and dripping skull Charvels, Viv Campbell's various Nightswans, Vai's various inceptions of the JEM, etc.

You could say it has influenced my choice in finishes.

Comment

Agreed, I love RR's. But the single hum and zebra stripes are hard to top.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
            Love me some 80's graphic finishes. It seemed fitting to have such over the top finishes on the machines that, in the right hands, left me awestruck. Lynch's kamikaze and tiger striped ESPs, DeMartini's snake, crossed swords and dripping skull Charvels, Viv Campbell's various Nightswans, Vai's various inceptions of the JEM, etc.

You could say it has influenced my choice in finishes.

nice collection! that snake skin Finnish looks sweet!

Comment

For me it's anything RR, the shape is so iconic 80's metal.

Comment

We all know how much I adore my GID Frankenstein. But in the 80's I had a deal with another brand so there weren't as many 'off-brand' units for me.
                I always had a thing for the Warlock in neon colors. Which is far different than today when they are always black and evil looking.
                However, for some reason, this one seemed to be my 'main' guitar for a few years...

Comment

This one:

Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Tougher question than I initially thought.
                    I'll go with George Lynch's Yellow Bengal from the Breaking The Chains video. Rhoads and RATT had some iconic guitars as well.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I've always dug Glenn Tipton's Hamer GT;

Comment

Chris's yellow Star, Spitz's RR, Rick Savage's Hamer Scarab bass, Johnny Rod or Blackie Lawless's BC Rich's. This one of Randy Piper's was pretty weird and cool.
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Now in the very capable hands of the JCF's & Jackson Guitar Palace's own Jani:

Comment

As long as it has a pointy headstock & bright colours/cheesy graphics, it wins. As for metal shapes, it's always been the Warlock, Ironbird, King V & Rhoads.

Comment

This one:

My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Working...
                              X