Favorite 80's/heavy metal guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j2379 View Post

& bich....yeah i know natural wood makes them kind of un metal, but i love em.

Hey Dave used a woodgrain Bich in Metallica.. Well until he painted it black

Comment

I think it's safe to say ( and likely already has been) that Eddie's striped Strats pretty much started the whole 80's graphic finishes. He may not have been the first (Clapton's and Hendrix's psychedelic axes come to mind) but it's hard to argue with the impact his guitar finishes made. However, when I think of 80's shredders, I think less of finishes and more of features. Floyd Rose and Kahlers were almost mandatory features if you were a hot shot 80's shred king. Reverse head stocks and pointys were also hallmarks of the 80's IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by livebiz View Post
        It's a newer version, but still all 80s. Funky shape, Rising Sun graphic, enigmatic number on the body, Floyd Rose, this baby has it all.
        Akira takasaki is legendary and so is the guitar in the picture you posted. I also like the guitar in the let it go video. I've always wanted to have a killer mosaic but they always seem to be just out of my price range. There are a couple of other guitars that come to mind as well one of them being the rQueensryche guitar and the other being Reb Beaches ibanez voyager.

Comment

For me it when I think back to that period of time, these are always the first guitars that come to mind. Sure there are a ton of others, but for me these are the ones. And I am sure the player has a bunch to do with it.

Georges Sub Camo

and Georges yellow bengal

Phils Destroyer

Of course Robbins bird

This one came a bit later, nearly the end of the eighties, but when I saw it I fell in love with it. ESP took an old design and made it current and bad ass again. It didn't hurt that the music that was flowing out of it was "and justice for all" but still.

But as it has been said before in this thread, the guitar that changed everything for me personally was this one

"I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
            This one came a bit later, nearly the end of the eighties, but when I saw it I fell in love with it. ESP took an old design and made it current and bad ass again. It didn't hurt that the music that was flowing out of it was "and justice for all" but still.

Yep, I think that probably wins this whole fucking thread. What a period that was for Metallica.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

More beer

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
                Yep, I think that probably wins this whole fucking thread. What a period that was for Metallica.
                Remember "No solos!!"

Comment

I think this for me represents the quintessential 80s.

Nuff said!!!

Comment

4 pages and this hasn't been posted yet ???

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
                      4 pages and this hasn't been posted yet ???

Not really 80's IMO. Yes, Pantera was around in the 80's (started in '81) and yes, Dime was using it back then but they really didn't start getting traction until the release of Cowboys from Hell in '90.

Comment

yeah, as much as I love "Power Metal" that guitar will always be associated with "Cowboys from Hell."

Comment

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Robbin Crosbys King V. Something about the way he blazed solos on it. One of these days when I get rich I will be able to buy a Gibson V Michael Schenker.

Comment

Working...
                          X