Help a newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkkWarriorr View Post
    The JS perhaps, but the latest X series are Japanese quality like just made in Indonesia. Remember also before the Japanese factory was closed, most of the X series were manufactured over there.
    The main difference I would say is a lot of the Alder guitars were replaced with Basswood, but the quality of the hardware, the fit and the finish are almost the same, if not better in some cases.
    This is not correct. The X series are made in India, Pro neckthru's are made in Indonesia. I've never played an Indonesian Pro, but any of my middle-range japanese soloist beats the SLX. However, it's a great guitar for the price you're paying.

Comment

Many X series models were made in Japan for many years. Also, there hasn't been an Indian made Jackson since 2012-13. The X series has recently been made in China and Indonesia.
      Originally posted by Botijo View Post
      This is not correct. The X series are made in India
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

This is not correct. The X series are made in India, Pro neckthru's are made in Indonesia. I've never played an Indonesian Pro, but any of my middle-range japanese soloist beats the SLX. However, it's a great guitar for the price you're paying.
        Looks like your info isn't up to date, and I know what I'm talking about because I own a bunch.
        -Metal wouldn't be the same without Pointy guitars-

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
          Without throwing the imports under the bus...
          When someone is coming from Fender, and is specifically asking if something is a 'second line' like Squier --- There is no reason to be pointing him to the $200 lines.
          He didn't ask about how things compared to Fender MIM, he asked about Fender vs Squier. Telling him to buy an X or JS is the same as sending him to buy Squier. And, I can't see how, from a quality perspective, that Jackson would gain a new fan if his only comparing factions are - Fender USA vs Jackson X.
          Have you read OP's posts?!
          The guy is on a budget and were just answering his questions... Plus the X series aren't even in the Squire territory, have you even played one?

Comment

If you have a strat and like it then look for a Jackson SDX Adrian Smith model.
            Very much like a strat and can do anything you want it to.
            Made in India and solid players at a very good price.To be honest the AS/SDX are the closest thing to an 86-88 San Dimas plated Jackson guitar.Super strat body,strat head neck what not to love about the AS/SDX?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by straycat; 04-18-2015, 06:54 AM.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              If you have a strat and like it then look for a Jackson SDX Adrian Smith model.
              Very much like a strat and can do anything you want it to.
              Made in India and solid players at a very good price.To be honest the AS/SDX are the closest thing to an 86-88 San Dimas plated Jackson guitar.Super strat body,strat head neck what not to love about the AS/SDX?
              +1

The Jackson SDX Adrian Smith guitars are very nice for the money, necks feel real good.

Other good option are any of the old "Model" series Charvel MIJ guitars or any of the ProMod's too.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jspeed View Post
                +1

The Jackson SDX Adrian Smith guitars are very nice for the money, necks feel real good.

Other good option are any of the old "Model" series Charvel MIJ guitars or any of the ProMod's too.

Good luck!
                +2 - I've always had MIJ J/Cs and one USA San Dimas Dinky and the SDX is an awesome bargain. I just found a Schaller trem and replaced the bucker with a real Duncan - it's awesome.
                EXACTLY what Straycat said.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkkWarriorr View Post
                  Looks like your info isn't up to date, and I know what I'm talking about because I own a bunch.
                  Probably I need an update... thanks for the correction (Mudlark also)
                  I've played two or three SLX, very good guitars for the price, but really I can't compare it with my mid-range soloist MIJ's. I'm talking about a Grover Jackson soloist reverse and a Jackson Stars SL128. They beat the SLX. I can compare with the MIJ low-end soloist, like the Grover Jackson SL-P 80 and SL-cu 90, they are very similar (except the bridge and the lack of neck binding).
                  But I insist, for the budget it's a very good guitar.
                  I knew some X were made in Japan. I've had a DXMG that I never knew if was a X or MG series . The quality of Indian X was much lower, first time I've played an indian X was 2005, if I´m not mistaked was one of the first DX10 (cause I was confused thinking it was a new DR5) and probably you can hear my blasphemys from your house . Cutting frets and an awful neck finish. The last SLX I've tried was indian also (sure), and had much better finish. However, I wouldn't change any of my MIJ for an SLX (even sometimes I'm thinking to go for one).
                  Last edited by Botijo; 04-20-2015, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Probably I need an update... thanks for the correction (Mudlark also)
                    I've played two or three SLX, very good guitars for the price, but really I can't compare it with my mid-range soloist MIJ's. I'm talking about a Grover Jackson soloist reverse and a Jackson Stars SL128. They beat the SLX. I can compare with the MIJ low-end soloist, like the Grover Jackson SL-P 80 and SL-cu 90, they are very similar (except the bridge and the lack of neck binding).
                    But I insist, for the budget it's a very good guitar.
                    I knew some X were made in Japan. I've had a DXMG that I never knew if was a X or MG series . The quality of Indian X was much lower, first time I've played an indian X was 2005, if I´m not mistaked was one of the first DX10 (cause I was confused thinking it was a new DR5) and probably you can hear my blasphemys from your house . Cutting frets and an awful neck finish. The last SLX I've tried was indian also (sure), and had much better finish. However, I wouldn't change any of my MIJ for an SLX (even sometimes I'm thinking to go for one).
                    I don't own any of the Indianian made, but I have the Japanese (WRMGs, WRXT limited, DXMGs and other Japanese made Jacksons) and Indonesians (SLX, WRXMG), and let me tell you that the quality has surpassed my expectations for what I've paid, probably the hardware and woods aren't as great as their Japanese counterparts, but the built quality on those indo guitars is very solid, heck, my latest Darb Green WRXMG kicks my Jap WRMGs' and WRXT's butts when it comes to playability.
                    The frets and the neck on that guitar is almost as good as my USA WR1's, of course it doesn't feel like my USA's since the finish and the Ebony fretboards are on a different scale of quality and feel, but I attest that it's very very close, and that's very impressive from a guitar that costs less than 30% of any my USAs.

I don't own any Japanese or USA made Soloists to compare them to my Yellow SLX, but when I got that guitar and started playing it through my rig, damn I wasn't expecting $500 would kick so much ass! And I doubt any of those Squires would match it's playability and sound. And that's my whole point here, don't underestimate Indo made guitars anymore just because they're cheaper than the other imports.

Comment

Hey,
                      Thought I'd stick my two penneths (cents..) worth in. In England USA Jacksons are very few and far between and command top dollar. The Japanese Jackson which I rate is perfect to record, gig, rehearse or jam. The necks on my two DK2s are broad shouldered and lack a belly but they suit me. I prefer a fat 50's neck which I have on my Gibsons which are full bellied but the Jackson DK2s with Seymour Duncan's oddly match my playing style and I'm in shred heaven.
                      I can play any style on a DK2 and its a effortless guitar. They sell slightly more than they did before the Gakki factory folded but they're worth the money.
                      I used to play Westone (Maksumoko) in the 80s and my Charvel model 2 back then. The Westone was a better and smoother player, my MIJ
                      DK2 (2004 and 2009) equal the Westone (Matsumoko) and better the Charvel.
                      If you can get DK2 you'll be very happy. A neck thru isn't the holy grail but if that's you're route they are reasonably priced worldwide and could be cheaper with charges depending where you are?
                      Guitars are built so much better than the 70s and some 80s (Taiwan etc) except most Japanese. Today quality is so much better, thank God!!
                      Good luck

Comment

Working...
                      X