Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help deciding on what pickups to get...!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help deciding on what pickups to get...!!!

hey everyone. I have somewhat of a predicament on my hands. I am currently looking to get new pickups for my sl-1, but i am not sure what to get. right now it has a bill lawrence xl 500 bridge and the two stock single coils in it. I need something that bring artifical harmonics out really well, as well as something that has a little bite to it. I was thinking emg and i have been reading about the duncan distortions. Can anyone make any suggestions? thanks!

Re: help deciding on what pickups to get...!!!

I have the EMG 81. Very nice pickup, it'll definatly do ya good. Harmonics are plentiful and rich. Can't comment on the Duncan Dist, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'm getting ready to throw a set of Duncan Livewire Metal's into my guitar. I like the 81, but want something a little more over the top. Guess the mahogany body warms the tone a little more than I like, so the Duncan's should satisfy me.

Comment

I love EMGs. But if you want something passive that blows away the EMG in output, get a DiMarzio X2N.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You mean "pinch" harmonics, right? The squeal and moan kind? I have a Soloist of the vintage you describe. The Lawrence should get you the tone you describe. However, I now have a Duncan Distortion in that guitar, and it is better than the Lawrence. Screeches and groans. EMG's sound good too, and the 81 would do it too. But, for simplicity, try a DD first because you can maintain the same pots and jack without having to convert to actives. If you go with the Duncan and plan on leaving the Jackson single coils, wire the Duncan as follows:

red and white taped off
        green to the hot of the switch
        black and bare to ground

The Duncan is phased opposite the Jacksons, so the 4th position will sound tinny and weak if you don't wire it as above.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

i really really want an X2N. i would give my left nut for one.. thats what chuck used. he is my idol. his tone is wonderful. i heard they are rare. if they are easy to come by, or if someone knows where i can get one, please let me know [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

Just go to DiMarzio's website and order one. I've got one laying around, but it's eventually going back into another guitar. They also make a version for bass guitar that can be put in a guitar for more low end! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, I'm sure someone would be willing to trade you a 2XN for a BL 500.

Personally, I HATE the 500XL pickup. To midrangey for me. I'd go with an EMG 81 or 85 in the bridge (damn I love the 85 as a bridge pickup too), but that's just my personal preference.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I have the same thoughts.

Bill Lawrence pups don't work out for me, in 3 different guitars.

Comment

I think you can find a X2N considerably cheaper than giving up your left nut [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I think I might have one in the ol´ junkbox, actually.

My suggestion is that you try as many pickups as you can lay your hands on. I had a SD Screamin´Demon in a alder Dinky, and it wasn´t anything special...but later I tried it out in a maple/poplar Soloist and then it definitely was screeeaaamin´! Different pickups sound different in different guitars, it´s as simple as that.

Comment

I had a Duncan Distortion in a Soloist for awhile, and I thought it sounded great--a clear step up from the LSR 500xl that it came with. I don't know how the Distortion would compare to the 'real' Bill Lawrence L-500xl pickups that Mr. Lawrence himself makes now. The one I had (and the one you usually see on Jacksons) was the LSR version--supposedly his old company.

Comment

I've got a couple of Adder Plus pickups coming in anyday now to replace the SD JB and 59 in my SL2H. I'll post a review here after I get them installed.
                      "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

i've compared the Duncan Distortion directly to the emg 81 and the DD actually sounded bigger and more alive.

it really captured that great metal tone.

plus you won't have to change your front single coils and pots.

i'd try that first. just make sure you get the TB version if you have a floyd. (proper spacing for string alignment)
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I would go with the Duncan Distortion or the JB for high gain pups. The JB is creamier sounding then the Distortion but has great harmonics and great response. Clean up pretty well too. The Distortion is a higher output with a more focused midrange and a ceramic magnet which gives it a bit more bite then the JB but does great harmonics as well.
                          Gil

Comment

What I consider to be pretty funny is the fact that alomst the only things metioned here are duncans and EMG's (except for the X2N and the BL). I myself are a more DiMarzio kinda person.

1. The EMG85 kicks ass, that is the first thing. I love it better than the way colder, more aggressive 81. warm, punchy and cool harmonics.

2. try an DiMarzio Evolution or a Steve's Special. these are all cool PU's that deliver also the things you wanted: bite (the evolution more than the Steve's Special, that are well, eh, direct and destinctive) and harmonics. Personally I prefere the Special, which has a really fat rhytm tone and a very defined leadsound: harmonics are great. for the record: I am wayting for my order at universaljems (steve's special and pro track for the middle of my model 6)

harrald

Comment

Originally posted by guitar geek:
                              1. The EMG85 kicks ass, that is the first thing. I love it better than the way colder, more aggressive 81. warm, punchy and cool harmonics.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the 85 sounds more agressive than the 81. The 81 seems to rather flat and sterile... great for processed signal, but the 85 is just brutal.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X