X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did it all start?

I'm not sure what year it was.

To be honest, I was a disco fan in my early "tweens"

Saturday Night Fever came out and I was hooked.

I had been playing folk songs/classic rock n roll songs for a few years before, but it was mostly because of my parents.

Then, in Grade 8 .. I met a "bad" girl.. she took me to her house, and played me a song.. Black Sabbath's Iron Man.. I was blown away.. by the music, not the girl. ( I wish ) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I never heard anything like it before, it was so... powerfull.

I went out and bought my first Black Sabbath album.. a compilation called "We sold our souls for Rock and Roll"

Life was never the same after, I changed my music, my friends, my clothes, my hair, my playing.. everything.

I bought my first Charvel a few years later when I was able to afford it.. A Model 2 which I still have.

I cannot imagine playing without a Jackson or Charvel..

I can honestly say.. Hard Rock/Heavy Metal and Jackson Guitars made me the man I am today.

[ September 25, 2003, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

Growing up in the 80's, those guitars were everywhere. Those graphics, inlays and neck binding just looked awesome, and the Charvel strats were perfect - 1HB, volume knob.. that's all you needed back then. But DAMN they were expensive.
      First time I played one, I was hooked.
      Also, that fact that they were played by most of my major influences from back then - George, Warren, Vai, Doug Aldrich, Amir Derahk (sp??), Vivian Campbell, and yes,,, Brian and Mark from Keel...

Comment

Too late to edit post.. but I wanted to add this:
        Another thing - you other 80's guys may be able to relate - I remember when they used to have the sales ratings in the back of Guitar for the Practicing Musician... and I was PISSED when Ibanez started outselling the Jacksons, Charvels, and Kramers.
        Don't get me wrong - Ibanez are nice players - thin necks (unfinished).... but craftsmanship wise, not even close.
        BUT... Ibanez was more affordable, and they did a great marketing job

Comment

For me after playing in a band in high school(late 60's) playing Procol Harum,Deep Purple,Jefferson Airplane type stuff.You know the cover band deal every body has done.Music had nothing new happening untill late 69 Black Sabbath came along and it all changed for me.All my friends thought I'd lost it, but the dark overdriven guitar blew me away.I kept playing my 68 SG and 68 strat.78 rolled around work new family music went on hold.In 95 I bought a charvel model 1A at a guitar show and was hooked.
          I loved the 80's hair bands MTV videos and remembered most of the great guitar players played Charvel and Jackson guitars.I still build strats and teles for people but dont own any at the moment only Jackson and Charvels import and USA models.Most every body I know plays Fender and Gibsons and Martins but not me Jackson Charvel and Taylor.Great guitars in tone, value,playability,killer looks what else is there?

[ September 25, 2003, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Richard ]
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Way back in the early 80's, I'd read magazines like "Kerrang" (Remember when it was good?) In one copy, there was a picture of Kiss's then new player, VV, with a cool-looking gold sharkfin shaped guitar. Soon afterwards, I saw a video on TV - "Fighting For The Earth" by Warrior. The guitarist was playing a blue one! I later found out that the mysterious beast was a "Jackson" and it's been downhill from there [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Eddy Ojeda from Twisted Fuggin Sister.

Comment

If you were traveling at the speed of light I don't think you would see anything.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Even though I didn't like their music...it was the guys in Ratt in the Round and Round video. I saw that, then went down to Parker Music in Houston (in 1985 I think) and played a King V. Cool guitar (and I own a few now), but since I sat most of the time to play I chose a Soloist with a Kahler. It's been Jacksons ever since.

Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                    I graduated in 79 and was playing full time in bands throughout the eighties, so it was Ratt, Roughcutt, Keel, etc. Anybody playing a Charvel or Jackson was cool in my book!
                    There were two different camps where I came from: The Charvel guys and the Kramer guys, and the twain shalt never meet! I was a died in the wool Charvel guy having bought my first one brand new in '85.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Amen brother. I graduated in 79 too. I was one of the Kramer guys back then. I had a red metalflake Pacer with a maple neck and 2 Dimarzio Super Distortions and a top mount Floyd (recessed full floaters didn't exist yet). My bandmate was a Charvel guy. Read my post in the guitars by other manufactures section under Chandler Guitar.It is one of the last ones and it is farily long. My post

Comment

I know... I spelled fairly wrong. I'll go directly to jail and I will be sure not to pass go.

[ September 25, 2003, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: jgcable ]

Comment

I was studying music in college in 85 and one of the guys in my class had a Charvel strat. I didn't know anything of the company but I had seen RATT and Vivian Campbell playing them. When I played this guys guitar I was sold on it. 2 years later I was working at a guitar shop and Chuck (aka BLOODSPLATTER) came in wanted to trade me his 1984 Jackson strat for my Kramer Baretta. That was pretty much a no brainer. I remember when I got it I didn't feel like I was a good enough player to deserve owning such a nice guitar. From that point on I practiced about 5 hours a day until I felt like I was worthy of it! I took that Jackson on the road when I was in Adam Bomb, took it to GIT, auditioned for DIO with it, did tons of recording with it, and loads of other stuff.

Thanks Chuck! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

alot of things of course Randy, Warren, Robbin, Holmes & others. that & i was always into the METAL guitars, Hamer, BCRich, Dean, Charvel Jackson never liked kramers or ibanez & that stuff. USA made more of the hand made custom kinda stuff. Havin friends with older Bro that played was very cool I got to play alot of those guitars back when they were the ****. I had a few SD charvels back in the day & they were great but i got more into set necks & neckthrus so they & many other cool guitars went byebye. i just picked up my first jackson 2 years ago & i dont know why i didnt buy one sooner. hopefully my next purchase will be a string thru RR custom...finger crossed

Comment

I think I first got an itch for Jackson's when I saw Dan Spitz's Ninja Turtles Rhoads. I had this huge poster of the band where Danny had his Rhoads and Scott had a Rhoads with a Yankees logo on it. I'll never forget thinking how huge that guitar looked hanging around Spitz's neck! I wish that line-up was still together! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Grew up in the 80s, was a metalhead at heart, name the rocker and they used a Charvel or Jackson at some point during those years. As Sully says: good times!

Locally, however, J/C's were more rare. Kramers were more prevelant. And cheaper, which helped for those of us in high school with PT jobs. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] So I started on Kramers, but aspired to J/Cs. Did my first custom order during my senior year of high school. Took quite a bit of saving to get there. And my personal holy grail was sighted in a local shop: an over-the-top zebra striped Charvel strat. It was zebra head-to-toe: head, neck and fretboard, too. I was in awe. If I ever find that guitar and have the chance to purchase it, I'll cream my shorts on the spot. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

The year was 1992, I was in 8th grade. It was time to get a new guitar as I had progressed beyond my Yamaha RGX/Z whatever it was. My Dad and I were in the guitar shop where I took lessons and I just started pointing at guitars. The salesman told me a little about each guitar I pointed at. He told me that each guitar I pointed at was better than the previous one. The third one I pointed at was a platinum colored Charvel 650XL and I chose that one to try out. I took it back into the amp room with my Dad and played for a while. When I left the store, I had it in my hands. In all honesty, I had no idea how good of a guitar I had just gotten. I love you Dad.

Comment

Working...
                                X